Hey I could use some help.

Someone swiped my cable at a show that connects my amp head to my cabinet on my 100w half-stack. I've been looking all over on musiciansfriend.com for the right cable to replace it with, but I just don't know exactly what it's called.

What is it I'm looking for, so that I can replace it, and any input on what exactly to get?
Just a speaker cable
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
For speaker cable, you can just buy 2 jacks at an electronics store & $1.99 regular 2-wire extension cord. Cut the ends off the extension cord (OBVIOUSLY WHILE IT IS NOT PLUGGED IN!). Solder the jacks to the wire ends, & there you go. Speaker cable for less than $5.00.

Edit: Do not try to use the speaker cable as a guitar cable from guitar to amp. Will sound bad. Real bad.
Also like SayOcean said below, NEVER use a guitar cable as a speaker cable. Too much resistance=amp damage.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by Say Ocean
Speaker cable. DON'T USE A GUITAR CABLE.

What, honestly, is the difference?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin

speaker cables are thicker wire (im pretty sure on this) and unshielded. guitar cables are usually a higher guage wire (thinner/less strands) and are shielded.
Yes, speaker cable is a thicker gauge cable and you could fry your amp if you use a guitar cable.
Quote by truespin

The signal coming from your power amp is huge. It powers the speakers and makes a huge sound. The signal coming from your guitar pickups is tiny in comparison. It has to be amplified by the preamp and again by the poweramp to make any noise. Guitar cables are meant to handle the signal of a guitar pickup. Not the huge load coming from a power amp. They can over heat and catch on fire
Quote by truespin

A guitar cable has more resistance & has shielding (metal mesh) wrapped around the inner wire for noise reduction. A speaker cable is just zero resistance lamp cord or electrical cord.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
if im not mistaken...speaker cables have two wires inside...while regular guitar ones only have one
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Jonomir
Thanks. What length is closest to what the amps usually come with?

I would just get like a 3 foot.
Ok now I'm worried.

I just bought an amp from Ebay, and the guy chucked in a speaker cable but it looks exactly like a guitar cable. How can I tell the difference?

Or shall I just play safe and buy a speaker cable?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by Say Ocean
The signal coming from your power amp is huge. It powers the speakers and makes a huge sound. The signal coming from your guitar pickups is tiny in comparison. It has to be amplified by the preamp and again by the poweramp to make any noise. Guitar cables are meant to handle the signal of a guitar pickup. Not the huge load coming from a power amp. They can over heat and catch on fire

The sort of answer I was looking for.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
speaker cables do look exactly like instrument cables. Unless you got one of that planet wave ones that have double the cable like mine. But most of them look just like a guitar cord. There should be some fine print written on it that says speaker cable. Plus if he said its a speaker cable it probably is. I mean hell you'll know when you hear it.
If you can unscrew one of the connectors, you can see what kind of cable it is. Instrument cable will have one of the conductors around the other, and is very thin. Speaker cable will contain two thicker conductors, side-by-side.
The one mine came with had angled heads. I'm having difficulty finding a short speaker cable with angled heads. Any suggestions?
You don't NEED angled heads.
Unless of course you want them. Not sure on suggestions- Try Planet Waves?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Wow good thing this thread came around.. If It didn't I would have plugged in a guitar cable when my amp comes in.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by paranormal5150
speaker cables do look exactly like instrument cables. Unless you got one of that planet wave ones that have double the cable like mine. But most of them look just like a guitar cord. There should be some fine print written on it that says speaker cable. Plus if he said its a speaker cable it probably is. I mean hell you'll know when you hear it.

Cheers, I'll have a look in the morning. The cables about 3m long too which is why I was a bit skeptical...
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by Chex
Cheers, I'll have a look in the morning. The cables about 3m long too which is why I was a bit skeptical...

I bought my 5150 off ebay (coming Monday or tuesday!) and he included two cables and they came today one says speaker cable in small print on the cable and its about as long as a guitar cable.. just wrap it up and then use those velcro strips that people use to tidy up computer wires and do that..
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Jonomir
I looked at the planet waves stuff and it's all funky, I'm not sure how it works for just cab to head. Like this...?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-14-to-Banana-Speaker-Cable?sku=330203

Ah they're banana speaker cables. They're for something else

Just look for a 1/4" to 1/4" jack speaker cable
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace