Page 1 of 3
It will only be around about 10 weeks until the GCSE's will start to kick in. Come into this thread and help out your fellow exam takers by giving them advice on revising, talking about year 11, coursework help, and just for a chat to take your mind off things.

I'm personally having trouble learning my spanis oral questions of by heart. Anybody got a good technique for learning these?
If you just put in the time and effort it will pay off loads. GCSE's are nothing compared to anything else, a couple of hours revision for each subject and you should pass with ease.

Do coursework as well as you can, it helps so much. Saying that I didn't do any of my tech coursework but I regret it now.

And just revise your oral as much as you can, ask family and friends to help. Try and think of your presentation as a story.
DT coursework in for next friday. I'm dying, I've been at school until 7pm everyday trying to finish my guitar, and I'm not getting any closer. Frets are a bitch to do
I did my GCSE's last year and did pretty well (I'm doing A-levels at the moment). All I can say is revise like a bastard. It sucks like hell but in the end a few weeks of revision could affect what courses you get to do in the future (assuming you're going on to do A-levels or an apprenticeship or whatever). Don't get too worked up about them though. There were a lot of people last year who got themselves in a right state and it's just not worth it because if you're stressed then you'll make it a lot tougher than it needs to be. Good luck!
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
ha GCSE's

they seem scary now but in hindsight they are really not, GCSE's are in effect who can memorise the most facts and regurgitate them. I wouldn't worry about them too much, try to do well put don't over panic A levels are a more important qualification to have and worry about them more and then worry about your uni degree even more.

Just relax
Quote by Rocking-Rob
ha GCSE's

they seem scary now but in hindsight they are really not, GCSE's are in effect who can memorise the most facts and regurgitate them. I wouldn't worry about them too much, try to do well put don't over panic A levels are a more important qualification to have and worry about them more and then worry about your uni degree even more.

Just relax

Hes right, they're seriously not as hard as you think. 2months later you'll look back and be like "WFT were they about?!".
&if anyone needs some help with maths, just PM me.
Last edited by Mask_of_Terror at Mar 9, 2008,
Anyone needs help with computing just PM me.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
You'll reach AS level then wonder why you ever worried so much

But for languages, I found it really helped to just repeat things over and over in whichever language exam I had (I did French and German). Believe me, it helps so much more to understand what it is in English opposed to just remembering a list of words you know go together. But don't worry too much about it, I failed my German oral exam (I failed to learn the speech, which ended after two lines and I had to say 'ich weiss nicht' to a lot of the questions) and still scraped a C overall.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Mask_of_Terror
Hes right, they're seriously not as hard as you think. 2months later you'll look back and be like "WFT were they about?!".
&if anyone needs some help with maths, just PM me.

I seem to be having trouble with rearanging formula's at the moment. ((I don't know why. I used to be able to do it all the time easily.))

I guess I've just forgotten how to do it.

So, if you could help me with that I'd appreciate it a lot.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
I seem to be having trouble with rearanging formula's at the moment. ((I don't know why. I used to be able to do it all the time easily.))

I guess I've just forgotten how to do it.

So, if you could help me with that I'd appreciate it a lot.

Yea sure, i'll be happy too. Just PM me some example questions you dont quite get& i'll help you through them
Audio's from BBC bitesize..Saved me.
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
I really hated GCSE's my girlfriend of around 2 years dumped me in the middle of them, but I still got fairly decent results. Just put your heads down and revise. DO NOT sit around wasting hours on Morrowind.........

If any of you need help with scientific subjects, pm me and I'll try to help out.
GCSEs are massively easy. you don't actually need to think for them, just learn things and regurgitate. you shouldn't be worrying about them.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I'm in the middle of mine and I have the same attitude that everyone here taking their AS and A2 has towards them. That's a bad thing, isn't it? =/
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Try your very hardest; people here doing AS and A2 level will say how meaningless they are but they are VITALLY important with regards to getting university places. However, *do not* panic or get stressed; keep a calm, clear head and stuff will go in far more easily. I did exactly that and was cramming on my way to the exam hall and did absolutely fine; cramming is very very useful but as I've said, will only work if you can keep calm and confident.
Quote by gpel
Try your very hardest; people here doing AS and A2 level will say how meaningless they are but they are VITALLY important with regards to getting university places. However, *do not* panic or get stressed; keep a calm, clear head and stuff will go in far more easily. I did exactly that and was cramming on my way to the exam hall and did absolutely fine; cramming is very very useful but as I've said, will only work if you can keep calm and confident.

this is true. you do need to do well, particularly if you're looking to apply to one of the upper tier universities.

also, out of curiosity, which college are you at (to gpel)?
I am sh**ting myself, my DT is due in on friday as well to whoever said that, I have just done my ISA exam for additional science (got an A overall in core last year ) but it was much harder. I probably scraped a C in biology 2 so i need to do ridiculously well in chem and phys to get the B overall i need this year so I can do what i want at college.

As I said - I am sh**ting myself. On the plus side, All A's and B's (excluding German, I am doing foundation and my parents accept this) = VW camper for my college - uni gap year
Last edited by Atomic_Assault at Mar 10, 2008,
Quote by gen0doom
I really hated GCSE's my girlfriend of around 2 years dumped me in the middle of them, but I still got fairly decent results. Just put your heads down and revise. DO NOT sit around wasting hours on Morrowind.........

If any of you need help with scientific subjects, pm me and I'll try to help out.

ooo dear morrowind...... as i am thoroughly addicted to Oblivion I can see how that helped you're revision lol

EDIT: sorry for the double post
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is true. you do need to do well, particularly if you're looking to apply to one of the upper tier universities.

also, out of curiosity, which college are you at (to gpel)?

Brasenose College; just got back for the vacation! So, so tired...
^yeah, its always a kicker at the end of term, i tend to spend about a week or two sleeping before i even think about doing any more work.
Quote by gpel

How do you 'cram' efficiently?
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
It will only be around about 10 weeks until the GCSE's will start to kick in. Come into this thread and help out your fellow exam takers by giving them advice on revising, talking about year 11, coursework help, and just for a chat to take your mind off things.

I'm personally having trouble learning my spanis oral questions of by heart. Anybody got a good technique for learning these?

make up a song with spanish words
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
How do you 'cram' efficiently?

mindmaps are the answer to every thing, colour code them etc
Quote by Atomic_Assault
mindmaps are the answer to every thing, colour code them etc

Mind maps ae unless. You can fit nearly enough information on them. They just provide a general over view, C grade at most.
then you just writing what you read, as opposed to thinking about it in between, if you think about what you write (it helps trust) then you can fit everything on it and then some. Buy a revision guide. draw a mindmap and read the spec. for the exam. Only take notes on what you need to know, not everything that you have ever been taught ever.

Mindmaps got me all B's - A*'sin my mocks my friend, and an A grade for Core science last year.
Quote by Mask_of_Terror
Mind maps ae unless. You can fit nearly enough information on them. They just provide a general over view, C grade at most.

this is horrifically wrong. diagrams and mindmaps are awesome. you aren't supposed to put all the information on there, merely represent it. so like, you don't write about every aspect of a concept, you just write down the concept. its all about making you join up your thinking. i know, its all very postmodern, no?
Sorry im just really pissed off atm (check relationship thread)

Yea mind maps are great for some people, depends how ur mind works!!
THey didnt help much for me but i forced to do them in school. Just do whats best for you!
Quote by Atomic_Assault
then you just writing what you read, as opposed to thinking about it in between, if you think about what you write (it helps trust) then you can fit everything on it and then some. Buy a revision guide. draw a mindmap and read the spec. for the exam. Only take notes on what you need to know, not everything that you have ever been taught ever.

Mindmaps got me all B's - A*'sin my mocks my friend, and an A grade for Core science last year.

I got B's - A*'s without revision, and an F in RS.

But yeah, my targets are A's and A*'s and I want to reach them.

Mind maps are pretty good. They let your brain link the information together.

I found these on cramming:

http://www.wikihow.com/Cram-for-a-Test
http://www.testtakingtips.com/cramming/index.htm

They look pretty useful.
I'm doing GCSE's at the moment too.
Just like to comment on how grateful i am that people here show support.
This is how it should be...okay talking about school's hardly talking about music, guitars etc.
but thanks, Means alot guys.
Quote by Antwan_the_Swan
I'm doing GCSE's at the moment too.
Just like to comment on how grateful i am that people here show support.
This is how it should be...okay talking about school's hardly talking about music, guitars etc.
but thanks, Means alot guys.

+1 it really does
I'm doing GCSEs at the moment, and I don't revise. Its my final year of school, but personally I don't think there any need. As long as you listen and pay attention then you should be able to pass easily.

The funniest was when I did 2 weeks of Geography coursework in 2 hours and I still got an A! Good times...

And to be honest, half the time you don't even need to turn up at school. I've took weeks off at a time to revise and to coursework and I still get good grades, mostly B's and A's. I think the bottom line is to do your work on time, and just relax.
I don't know about language's GCSE to AS difficulty change but I'm assuming it's hard. All the other subjects are. For instance, about half the maths paper in GCSE is stuff like "Calculate 2^5" etc. In C1(the first unit of AS maths) you only get 1 question like that, the others you have to think more independently from what you've learnt, as opposed to the exam extracting it from you. As for Business, you better learn to ramble
Quote by Tom_hatton
I'm doing GCSEs at the moment, and I don't revise. Its my final year of school, but personally I don't think there any need. As long as you listen and pay attention then you should be able to pass easily.

The funniest was when I did 2 weeks of Geography coursework in 2 hours and I still got an A! Good times...

And to be honest, half the time you don't even need to turn up at school. I've took weeks off at a time to revise and to coursework and I still get good grades, mostly B's and A's. I think the bottom line is to do your work on time, and just relax.

I agree that we need to relax!
But you're obviously quite different... if you don't revise and still do well. Different to me anyway, i mean i want mostly A*'s, a few A's, a few B's, but i revise a fair bit.
I think it varies with how you learn really.
Page 1 of 3