Already posted a thread on buying a new amp, found here http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805556

Given that info, I stepped my price range up a bit and am willing to spend around $400.
I find someone willing to sell a like new 212 for $400. I haven't actually tried it through my Razorback (Stock pickups) but it seems the best bang for the buck around. I plan on trying it out sometime next weekend, but while doing more research I found some issues.

1. I saw from some reviews that the distortion in it sucks and a pedal is needed for good tone. Is this true? Keep in mind I play Metallica, Pantera, pretty much any hard rock.

2. I have a cheap Boss DS-1 pedal, would that eliminate the need for buying another pedal if neccessary?

3. Should I even buy it?
Last edited by KingDev at Mar 9, 2008,
i really dislike the distortion on the VK.it sounds so... thin. If you do get it, get a metal muff for distortion. the cleans on the VK are not that good, but they are decent.
Quote by KingDev
Already posted a thread on buying a new amp, found here http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805556

Given that info, I stepped my price range up a bit and am willing to spend around $400.
I find someone willing to sell a like new 212 for $400. I haven't actually tried it through my Razorback (Stock pickups) but it seems the best bang for the buck around. I plan on trying it out sometime next weekend, but while doing more research I found some issues.

1. I saw from some reviews that the distortion in it sucks and a pedal is needed for good tone. Is this true? Keep in mind I play Metallica, Pantera, pretty much any harder rock that is not 'classic.'

2. I have a cheap Boss DS-1 pedal, would that eliminate the need for buying another pedal if necessary?

3. Should I even buy it?

1. For Pantera/Metallica (high gain) you WILL need a pedal, not so much for the gain, but for the tightening of the low end.

2. This would pass as an average boost I suppose. You'd probably be better off with a TS though.

3. Yes, I love it, and that's stock. With a speaker change/tube swap the amp is competing with amps over and above its price range. I will say that the VK is like Marmite: some love it, some hate it, so it's really up to you to go and try one out.

Quote by shtiming
i really dislike the distortion on the VK.it sounds so... thin. If you do get it, get a metal muff for distortion. the cleans on the VK are not that good, but they are decent.

Case in point...Although I disagree with the cleans point and say that the cleans are very good, and definitely surpass those of the 5150/6505/Randall RG50TC (only included it because it's in the same price bracket).

EDIT:v I agree, though I say get the 112.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Mar 9, 2008,
I would go for a B-52 AT112. A lot better and cheaper than the 212. You dont need 100 watts of tube. That much volume would probably deafen anyone nearby.

The gain will be MUCH smoother, fuller, and not thin like the VK distortion. The cleans might not be as good, but they are still VERY useable.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
if you want distortion and you want a tube amp for cheap that can hang with the more expensive ones you need to go with bugera. You can get a 6262 for around 500 the 333 sounds better but im not sure how much the combo is. Hundred more dollars is worth it.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Yep. I prefer the B-52 over the VK by alot.

Yeah check out B-52 and Bugera.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Yep. I prefer the B-52 over the VK by alot.

Don't forget Bugera

EDIT: Ah, soul_power beat me to it.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I haven't been able to try out a Bugera out so I can't really say whether they are good or not.

Neither have I, but I have heard really good things about them from many different people. I figured the least I could do was suggest it lol
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
valvekings are very versatile. dialed in right, if heard some really solid stock distortion coming from it.

stock ds-1's sound like crap imo, you should just get an od to boost it or any other tube amp.

and if anything you can always swap the speakers or tubes

but its a solid investment. do it up
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
i got the VK 112, its good, but eventually needs somethin else. Great first tube amp tho, alot of sounds
I got one today and I really like it. I use my ZoomG2 to play metal through the clean channel and actually got a really good trash metal sound with right patch/amp settings.

This was a really big upgrade for me, I've only had a 10 watt practice amp before...

Overall, it's a great amp. It will be a really big upgrade from your amp and if you don't get your sound with the DS-1 just buy a Metal Muff or something but I think that Boss will do the job for you.

Btw, you really don't need to swap the speakers and tubes like everyone say.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Well to be qutie honest, both those amps aren't really that good, especially the B-52, with the right high end pickups the VK comes alive and all it needs is an EQ pedal, a Maxon OD-808 does help though, but its not a Peavey XXX or JSX type quality sound.
But if someone tells you that the VK isn't good, you should secound guess them, as they need to understand how to set up amps, I see so many sound samples and youtube videos that really have the sound set up way wrong, they blame a crap mike, when even with that you can still tell if the amp is set up right. but really I can make a Fender 40 watt amp thats SS sound like a cranked Messa at bedroom volumes. with an EQ pedal of course, MT-2 (when using this pedal you bearly use and of the adjustments on it, mainly use it just for some highs and lows, and you make the EQ do the mid work and tighten up the low end, but not the 2 other low ends, honestly I have mine sounding like a cranked messa at low volumes, but I do have high end Seymour Duncan SH-6 in the bridge which actually has more chnkiness than EMG 81 in all honesty, the SH-6 is high in mids while the EMG 81 is high in trebble.

but in all honesty a Valveking with Maxon OD-808 and an EQ pedal shall should get whatever sound you are looking for, but it would be a good idea to inspect the gear you have make sure all the leads are soldered cleanly and such, but that would go for the B-52 even more so, but overall you do all that to a VK you can get some killer sound, but I personally would get a VK and then save up for an ENGL or Peavey XXX, as I don't paticuarly like how the 6505+ is, its pretty thin on its own compared to other amps I have delt with, even though it sounds nice with a few boost racks, you wouldn't be able to tell that the 6505+ is fairly thin unless you have seen and heard many types of amps, but its not that thin, just a tiny bit, but some people like that for lead guitar

but now I am in the age of a 2K ENGL amp head and Vader Cab, to get any sound I c an think of, I may get a Tripple rect Mesa for backup soon as well
Last edited by xWhitechapelx at Apr 8, 2008,
don't get the 212, you don't need 100 watts tube, get the 112
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I don't know why people say the VK212 can't do metal. My bandmate has one and the distortion is pretty awesome. It is very punchy, and dialed in correctly is very articulate. This is with a Gibson Les Paul. You guys need to actually turn up a 100watt amp and play with a band to judge an amp's sound.
I have a valveking 212, and it's really not hard to play at bedroom volumes. Also, it really is a love it or hate it thing. I think that the cleans are amazing and that the distortion is just perfect. But some people feel otherwise, and that's why you should try one out before you buy it.
I really like my VK112, although I will probably swap out the speaker. although not the greatest, it isn't bad by any means.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I should have added that my bandmate also runs the VK combo through a Marshall cabinet sometimes (AVT series, not 1960), and that is where the amp really shines. It seems that the combo's speakers are just now breaking in, and he's been using it for at least 6 months.
Well honestly you're not going to need 100 watts of tube anytime soon so save the money and get a NEW 112 combo. But if I were you I'd go with the B-52 AT-112 if you're looking for a high-gain mid-range amp. I was playing it for like two hours straight at GC yesterday and it sounded amazing. The gain channel is full and tight already without an Overdrive and the cleans are good, not amazing but good (but I prefer the Gain channel on any amp over clean because I play metal) but still warm and nice. The reverb is reverb nothing special there and turn up the low-res you will get a low-end like no other. So yeah... my two cents.
Heres a little trick.. Dont turn it up to 5 lol... Use the Saturation knob or button. Run it using higher ohm speakers. Example try 8 or 16 ohms. Cuts down a bit of the power and gives you more volume control.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Heres a little trick.. Dont turn it up to 5 lol... Use the Saturation knob or button. Run it using higher ohm speakers. Example try 8 or 16 ohms. Cuts down a bit of the power and gives you more volume control.

Agree on that one.

+that I get more dist when I have the 16 ohm alternative, don't know how though.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube