Page 1 of 2
I've been playing for about 3 or 4 years now. I'm self taught. I'm not good with guitar lingo or anything. I'm absolutely horrible at solo's.

Do you guys have any advice for bettering my guitar skills?
play more...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
learn scales... if you dont have a teacher, work them out...
hit the strings with your pick, turn your amplifier or whatever on?
Push yourself. Don't just play songs well within your skill range, which is what I used to do. Find a song you like, but think "sh*t! there is no way I'll be able to play that!" and basically keep practicing it until you can play it easily.
You have to take it like a career. And you will never get better if all you play are the songs you know. Branch out, take 15 dollars and by a book about scales and basic theory, this will help you immensely.

I'm self taught, never had a lesson, I don't think you need them to be good, it's all about your drive to play and be good.
To be the last one
who will sing you to sleep...

christie.FRONT.drive
Quote by Mr E
Push yourself. Don't just play songs well within your skill range, which is what I used to do. Find a song you like, but think "sh*t! there is no way I'll be able to play that!" and basically keep practicing it until you can play it easily.

I have tried this method on a few occasions. I still try them today.

I believe that one of my problems is that when I pluck a single string, I pluck upward instead of downward. I don't know why, but its just how I do it. I am left handed and play right handed guitar, that may have something to do with it.
About a year ago I got a guitar teacher and It was the best thing(musically) I've ever done, Even if you can't find the dough right now start to put some a side It really is worth it.
Official member of The White Stripes club! PM Tenacious_dex or Jack_White455 to join this great club!
It comes naturally to some people. I guess your just not musically talented rly. Just play more, practice more, get a teacher I would say. I've been playing for 3 years and I can pretty much play anything if I practice it enough.
practice for 6+ hours a day on weekdays and then all day in the weekend.

Works for me
Quote by ncm414

I believe that one of my problems is that when I pluck a single string, I pluck upward instead of downward. I don't know why, but its just how I do it. I am left handed and play right handed guitar, that may have something to do with it.

I am left handed. Learning to play guitar is awkward for both hands, so it didn't really bother me learning right handed. Learn to pick downwards. Finally, the real trick to learning guitar is to want it so bad that you actually start bleeding when you are not playing. Easy.
Quote by ncm414

Have you thought about a Technique Overhaul?
And playing on a right handed guitar isn't a problem, i do the same.

You need to do more than play songs. You need to practice. Start with alt picking(there are lessons here for you).

Then find a new thing to learn. Playing songs is great and all, but sometimes you need to play things that target a certain technique.
epic7734
Quote by Starchild_ex4
I am left handed. Learning to play guitar is awkward for both hands, so it didn't really bother me learning right handed. Learn to pick downwards. Finally, the real trick to learning guitar is to want it so bad that you actually start bleeding when you are not playing. Easy.

yeah, I've been trying to pick downward, I can on most tries, but I eventually go back to upward without noticing.
pik a song that u kno very well get the tab and learn it backwards and fowards make it a easy chorded song, practice it non stop until u got it down, its easier if u kno the song, then do it over and over, get a book on theory if u can, get some new strings and clean up ur guit, that always helps believe it or not
Last edited by kilnapp at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by epic7734

You need to do more than play songs. You need to practice. Start with alt picking(there are lessons here for you).

Then find a new thing to learn. Playing songs is great and all, but sometimes you need to play things that target a certain technique.

Do you have examples of some songs I should learn for alternate picking?
practice technique(look at the lessons section on this site if you need to learn some).play songs outside of your skill level and practice em with all you got
peace out
pick out ure weakest points and work on them... if u work on perfecting ure week spots ull finde areas u were stronger in will improve aswell. your soloing is bad so lern some leads then play em faster untill u physicly cant move ure hand.. also dont just lern one type of music lern loadz sutch as classical, jazz, blues.
Quote by ParkerScks
btw lern pantera cow boys from hell... good song for alternate picking,

Yeah, thats one I chose awhile ago to try and learn. It's difficult for me, but I am trying.

what is a good size pick to use for alternate picking? I'm not sure what the size of mine is because it wore off. But it's pretty thick.
Ok, the people here all saying "Practice" are giving zero help. Obviously practice. But practice WHAT? What kind of music do you play/wanna play? you have to decide that, and what your goals are. Make a goal for each month, and make a goal for each week, and a goal for each practice time you have. For example, lets say for my month goal I want to learn to sweep at 80BPM or something, for my weekly goal is to learn to tap smoothly, and for my daily goals Id have speed goals or theory or something like that.

There are plenty of lessons here on UG, and there are alot more on google itself. The internet is your friend, as well as youtube. Read up on lessons, watch players, watch instructionals, and then come here and ask us to clear something up for you. Im self taught and this will be my 4th year playing, and thats exactly what I did. Sure, you might never learn the correct terms for something, or maybe you will later on, but the most important part is that you can play the guitar. Dont focus too much on theory right now, just try to stick some in during the time that you dont have a guitar in your hands.

Work on technique, your creativity, and most importantly, your fluidity. Play slow, have fun, and dont consider it work. Take as much time as you can/need to achieve what you want. In order from most important, try this:

1. Alternate Picking
2. Power Chords
3. Pentatonic Scale
4. Bends
5. Tremolo Picking

and carry it on from there, try that. I hope this helps!

EDIT: As for the pick size, it doesnt really matter until later when you need to fine tune it, and achieve that extra finesse. For me to play at my best with alternate picking, I need a jazz 3 or a big stubby 3mm.
Quote by Mr E

That taught me Blinded In Chains by Avenged Sevenfold.

All I can say is practice whenever possible. I've only been playing for like 15 months and I can play about anything I want to. Except like, John Petrucci's solos and ridiculous crap (the good kind) like that. But its because whenever I'm in my room, or at home in general I practice. And you don't have to really lay out a practice schedule IMO. I mean, it's important but just play what you feel like. Most of the time I just improvise and I end up writing whole songs just sitting around watching TV. If you don't like sucking, do something about it. Figure out what you want to learn and practice it.
Signature temporarily empty
a technique I just learned is to try and listen to the song while playing, try and play along with the song. This is how I learned the first few parts of A Secret Place by Megadeth.
Quote by epic7734

Why do you practice certain exercises? To get better at playing songs. To me, it seems completely pointless to spend a lot of time working on useless "technique exercises", when you can work on an actual song that also builds your playing skill as well as your creative ability.
It's probably a good idea to work out what it is you are trying to achieve.
Work on your chord and rhythm playing, these take up 95% of your live playing time.
Play with others where possible. Keep at it.
Quote by ncm414
I've been playing for about 3 or 4 years now. I'm self taught. I'm not good with guitar lingo or anything. I'm absolutely horrible at solo's.

Do you guys have any advice for bettering my guitar skills?

yeah, get a teacher and practice as much as you can. Learn songs.... learn solos. enjoy playing..

Quote by Spamwise
Why do you practice certain exercises? To get better at playing songs. To me, it seems completely pointless to spend a lot of time working on useless "technique exercises", when you can work on an actual song that also builds your playing skill as well as your creative ability.

exactly.

Although lll say technical exercises do have their place. There are certain issues that you may improve on by focusing on a particular technique.

The biggest mistake people make is that they have this practice schedule, that includes nothing but technical exercises. In the end it all comes down to making music..... that should be the focal point or goal of anything you work on. (that is ofcourse if making music is your goal..... if achieving a certain stat is your goal, thats different and everybody's entitled to play for their own reasons)

Like you were saying.... the actual song includes all the technique you need to play that song.....
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 9, 2008,
try to find people to play with that can help you through the learning process. A jam sesh is in order i reckon.
Quote by Spamwise

My comment had to do with the TS saying he had a hard time doing downward picks.
We all have different opinions about the learning process. My opinion is when struggling with a technique, exercises that are repetitive of that technique will help reinforce it properly.
epic7734
well, I mean I do spend some time playing exercises. I normally spend like 20 maybe 30 minutes after doing my warm ups playing through an exercise. I find it allows me to play better.
Im pretty sure learning a Necrophagist or Jason Becker song is loads better than practicing boring exercises for hours on end. 1, you get a new song under your belt, and 2, you practice much more techniques at once, and learn how to implement them smoothly into your playing, instead of just learning something and TRYING to shove it into your playing.

But this is only if you practice correctly
if you hear a song you like but think .. no way will i be able to play that .. give it a shot.

when i first head day tripper by the beatles i was like .. omg how can these guys play this. now i am very good at it and im a really bad guitarist aswell.
Make you're own stuff up...of course not just a simple progression...but actually make a song, or some cool riffs.

I familiarized myself with the fretboard that way, and do what everyone else said...scales and modes, although Im still just learning some of the many scales and modes, there a great thing to know and can enhance you're music immensely.

Satch himself said "the students that go the farthest are the ones who are self motivated and make there own stuff"

Im not sure if that was exactly right...but take it from the greatest guitarist of all time (IMO)
i recommend a teacher too ,
if you are broke , maybe ask a teacher if you could pay for lessons by handing out or putting posters up for them doing some chores ! whatever really , but if you want to make some real progress a teaching will help focus and motivate you . its worth it .
there is only so far we can go without a teacher , but you need to get to a point where you realise the importance of one ...
Damien Redmond - "Grade 8 electric guitar" -"Grade 5 theory "
"Licentiate Diploma of the London college of music "
Quote by GuitarMunky
yeah, get a teacher and practice as much as you can. Learn songs.... learn solos. enjoy playing..

exactly.

Although lll say technical exercises do have their place. There are certain issues that you may improve on by focusing on a particular technique.

The biggest mistake people make is that they have this practice schedule, that includes nothing but technical exercises. In the end it all comes down to making music..... that should be the focal point or goal of anything you work on. (that is ofcourse if making music is your goal..... if achieving a certain stat is your goal, thats different and everybody's entitled to play for their own reasons)

Like you were saying.... the actual song includes all the technique you need to play that song.....

Whats this, your recommending a teacher. I thought the best advice was do whats best for you Maybe he will learn off internet tabs better than what a teacher could ever show him....
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
DUDE, I've been playing for about the same amount of time as you (3-4 yrs). It takes a lot of practice, and practicing stuff that is boring as hell. I wouldn't say I'm good but I am getting better. I know how to play a couple dozen songs all the way through, I know my modes, pentonic minor scales and I'm working on a lot of theory stuff right now. I'm finally at that point that I can look at a tab and work through it and actually play it. Instead of looking at it and saying how the f%@k do I do that.

You just have to pick something and run with it. Practice it everyday before you do anything. I found out that practicing new stuff before you start playing the stuff you already know helps out (you always finish and a good note) meaning you feel better about yourself when you finish with something you know. If you stop practicing at a point on something you don't know your more likely to be frustrated and it takes away the excitement of picking up the guitar again.

If your truely passionate about playing you just have to pick them strings up everyday 15-20 minutes everyday. I still have along way to go, but nothing will stop me from getting to the point I want to. You should have that same gut feeling inside that nothing is going to stop you from reaching your goal. And, that is the main thing is setting short term and long term goals. Like, in a week I will have the pentonic minor scale down (all 5 postions). Stuff like that and just work at it man and you'll get it. Practice, practice, practice and when your sick of practice, practice some more.

This internet has all tools you need to play and understand the guitar. It just take a lot time and patience. You might have to read thru the same thing written by 20 different people before understand something but that's what it takes. Good luck.
Last edited by tyenser at Mar 10, 2008,
Quote by radiantmoon
Whats this, your recommending a teacher. I thought the best advice was do whats best for you Maybe he will learn off internet tabs better than what a teacher could ever show him....

what are you talking about man? and whats with the attitude?

the TS said hes being playing for 3 or 4 years without a teacher, and sucks at solos.
Studying with a teacher would definitely help.
shred is gaudy music
Page 1 of 2