Anybody tried setting up a 5 string to EADGB? Just curious because a lot of the time I think I feel lacking on the higher end more than the lower. Would it be possible to do this? Thanks for the help.
Quote by Captain Insano
Most people go EADGC. A lot of people do it.

Most people? I don't think so, but a lot do. My 5er is tuned CFBbEbAb.
Yeah, I use EADGC. It'd piss me off using EADGB, and it even throws me off sometimes when I play guitar.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I think he meant that the majority of 5'ers with a high string do it EADGC instead of EADGB.

Ah I see what you mean...yeah most bassists tune to straight fourths. I occasionally still get confused when playing guitar after playing bass.
You can buy 5 stringers set up specifically for EADGC... and if youre wanting higher notes for just soloing you could try using a thimble.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by bassmanjoe08
You can buy 5 stringers set up specifically for EADGC... and if youre wanting higher notes for just soloing you could try using a thimble.

Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but what?
Lol youre not ignorant, its just a really bizarre practice to use a thimble. Basically you can use it to tap the strings after the fretboard ends, and youll get some pretty high notes. You can also use it for scraping and third bridging if you like.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

Quote by bassmanjoe08
Lol youre not ignorant, its just a really bizarre practice to use a thimble. Basically you can use it to tap the strings after the fretboard ends, and youll get some pretty high notes. You can also use it for scraping and third bridging if you like.

My guitarist messed with me the other day in practice. He was to do a solo, but ripped off one of his knobs and used it as a slide past the fretboard. Definitely a "WTF?" moment.

Third bridging?
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n

Third bridging?

Jamming something, usually a drumstick or thimble, under a string past the fret board and plucking out higher notes.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

I strung my fiver with a high b for a while just so I could cheat and use all the shapes I had memorized for guitar without having to move anything. works fine... I never tried C, which is the usual tunning, I'll have to give that a go if I ever get another 5 string.
Quote by FbSa
Kinda like a 3rd bridge... (i.e bridge and nut)

Or like using a metal slide correct?

Bingo!
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

E A D G C. Yup, I do that on three of my basses to play "bajo flamenco". So does this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z34e2H9b8Kk
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZjvSSGkUCg&feature=related
Carles Benavent (playing with Chick Corea), master of "flamenco bass"

Note that he plays improvised bass parts, chords, and percussive stuff all at once, in the proper flamenco form.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!