hey guys, I've been playing for a year and 2 months now. I'm trying to learn Maiden and priest songs with full solo's. I can play all of the notes but putting the speed in when connecting the solo just gets me. I mean i practice 2 hours a day or more whenever i have free time, and I'm just going nuts..i haven't seen any improvement in my playing expect for more legato techniques(i use legato a lot) i practice through my Fender 15R amp with a my Epip Special II, the sound i get is down right trash. Did i push myself to far my learning Maiden and priest and my time of playing? or should i just keep at it?
LOL
Take it easy. Just enjoy playing thats the main thing man. Don't worry about it start out slow. Have fun.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

there is only one way to get better dude, and that is just keep trying and you will get there. if the solo is too fast, just play the solo slowly but making sure its all played correctly then speed it up abit and make sure its correct at that speed and just keep going till you get it. its all worth it in the end when you nail it

oh and of course, just have fun, dont worry about it too much, its meant to be enjoyable
Don't expect to be awesome too soon

Speed and accuracy takes ages to get down and the guys in Iron Maiden have been playing and gigging for ages.

Take it slowly, keep practicing, keep your playing clean, have fun and you should be set.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
yhea i agree, ive only been playing since.... jan sumthing, and i dont expect to be good. i recently got into Yngwie J. Malmsteen (god), and i feel like an inferior being, but just have fun. you learn slowly, and get faster even slowlyier.
Edit* i've been playing for a year and 7 months, not 2 months, thinking of something else.
LOL
I had this problem not too long ago.

you have to understand that these guys in Iron Maiden and Metallica and everything have been playing for at least 10 years when they made the albums for a year 1 to play them is good. keep at it, don't let it get to you.
You'll get it young grasshoper, but first you must remove the pick from my hand.
Marijuana is not a drug! its simply a plant
Just keep at it. and make sure you have some sort of exercise in your practice.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
dont focus on speed, play slower harder stuff and the speed will come naturally
+Dont die its bad for you+
On top of the advice given already, broaden your musical horizons. Listen to something that doesn't even contain guitar for example and try to follow the main melody line. You'd be surprised what inspires you....
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
Last edited by BigBaldIan at Mar 9, 2008,
The first year was tough for me. Once you get though that you should be fine.
Keeping it real since '92
Stop trying to play fast; just find a decent blues backing track and play for enjoyment; never fails to get me back on the wagon.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Stop trying to play fast; just find a decent blues backing track and play for enjoyment; never fails to get me back on the wagon.

its not that I'm trying to play fast. I learned all the notes , kept up to speed. then I would try it with the amp and the real song, just falls apart. I've trying to push myself to get Maiden and priest down by the 2 year mark which is in August. I know you can't set a time table for learning and getting better, but I've been at the guitar a lot. its like addiction lol(good one), gotta play anytime I'm free from college.
LOL
Last edited by SiKh22 at Mar 9, 2008,
Aside from all the good advice above if you are feeling a bit uninspired by your gear go and check out some amps in your local music store, if you can afford to upgrade to a better sounding setup you will be inspired to play more, it won't help your playing though, that just takes hard work and patience.
Quote by SiKh22
its not that I'm trying to play fast. I learned all the notes , kept up to speed. then I would try it with the amp and the real song, just falls apart. I've trying to push myself to get Maiden and priest down by the 2 year mark which is in August. I know you can't set a time table for learning and getting better, but I've been at the guitar a lot. its like addiction lol(good one), gotta play anytime I'm free from college.

I know what you mean and it's a problem thats for sure but what I said still applies: whenever you feel discouraged stop trying to learn and just play for fun.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
same for me, I've been playing for about a year and a month now, and I find that I can easily frett fast sections but my picking hand can't keep up. Just keep trying, slow it down to 3/4ths speed or 1/2 speed, this also helps alot, thats how I learned the solo in "Goodbye to Romance" I just played a little faster each time until I got it. Best of luck and keep at it.
(My Left hand is pretty good because I played viola for 3 years before the guitar)
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
One of the previous posts said the guys in Maiden, etc, had already been playing for a long time before even making their first album. This is a very good point, so don't get discouraged if you can't get it perfect yet. Remember, when you play along to a song, you're comparing yourself to full on professionals that play guitar for a living. All the pros started out as amateurs. They are where they are now because they kept at it, even during the times when they were discouraged.

Also try doing some exercises even when you're just watching TV or talking on the phone. No need to be plugged in. Just do something really basic like alternate picking 2 or 3 notes on two different strings. Don't worry about speed, just make sure you play them cleanly. Subconsciously help build muscle memory. This way, even your idle time can be constructive.
i bent my wookiee
Man, you got to play 5 hours a day if you want it and you got to play the same lines over and over till you can play it with the eyes shut. That's what it takes. Here's a key too. The longer you play slower and accurate, the better you'll be able to play faster. The guys at the top are the guys who practiced longer and slower than anyone else. The key is dedicated time to practice, not noodling. If you want to learn a song, you got to play it till you don't ever want to hear it again. That's what it takes. Ask yourself how bad you want it?

If your not getting there, go back to 1234 up and down the strings. Do it down at the 1st fret to build up that weak a*s left hand. First fret is where the pain is. No pain, no glory, but don't push yourself to the point of injury. It's like lifting. You don't see guys bench pressing for 2 hours straight. They do a set and walk around and stretch and give themselves a minute or two. Same with the guitar.

Make up exercises that make no sense or seem like they would do nothing to help you.

I do weird sh*t like 13 24 13 24 up and down the strings. Practice 124 134 124 134 and ever other variation you can think of. You might think this will not help, but if you do it long enough slowly and accurately you'll see the effort come forth in areas you wouldn't imagine. You'll have more of the "HFS, how the ***k did I do that"

Listen to new stuff that inspires you. Maiden is cool, but that stuff gets old. Progress to other areas of guitar. Maybe some early Megadeth or King Diamond or Queensryche. You got to stay interested and inspired or else the drive dies man. Just like alzheimers. You got to stimulate the mind or it quits. With music, you got to stimulate the musician or he quits.
Playing for fun is a good point, I studied classical guitar at uni and it put me off playing for a long time, and I mean put me off playing guitar completely - electric, acoustic, classical. The monotonous and rigorous practice expectations were just boring to me. Once I got back to playing what I like when I like I started enjoying it again.

Don't be too hard on yourself and if you can slow down the tracks to play along to using something like Audacity (free software) you might be able to play along?
Quote by knuckleslammer
Man, you got to play 5 hours a day if you want it and you got to play the same lines over and over till you can play it with the eyes shut. That's what it takes. Here's a key too. The longer you play slower and accurate, the better you'll be able to play faster. The guys at the top are the guys who practiced longer and slower than anyone else. The key is dedicated time to practice, not noodling. If you want to learn a song, you got to play it till you don't ever want to hear it again. That's what it takes. Ask yourself how bad you want it?

If your not getting there, go back to 1234 up and down the strings. Do it down at the 1st fret to build up that weak a*s left hand. First fret is where the pain is. No pain, no glory, but don't push yourself to the point of injury. It's like lifting. You don't see guys bench pressing for 2 hours straight. They do a set and walk around and stretch and give themselves a minute or two. Same with the guitar.

Make up exercises that make no sense or seem like they would do nothing to help you.

I do weird sh*t like 13 24 13 24 up and down the strings. Practice 124 134 124 134 and ever other variation you can think of. You might think this will not help, but if you do it long enough slowly and accurately you'll see the effort come forth in areas you wouldn't imagine. You'll have more of the "HFS, how the ***k did I do that"

Listen to new stuff that inspires you. Maiden is cool, but that stuff gets old. Progress to other areas of guitar. Maybe some early Megadeth or King Diamond or Queensryche. You got to stay interested and inspired or else the drive dies man. Just like alzheimers. You got to stimulate the mind or it quits. With music, you got to stimulate the musician or he quits.

+1
Fantastic advice.
Are you really sitting down and practicing the solo, or are you just noodling around half of the time?

Practicing is all about concentration. You could be someone practicing for 30 minutes a day and improving more compared to someone playing 4 hours a day. The difference is how well you use your time.

Of course, this might not even be relevant in your situation--anyway, start of very slow. That's really the only way to do fast phrases.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
i never listen to my guitar teacher, prolly why i cant solo well. but he alwayse says, slow everything down and do scales. recently ive actully been listening n yeah that helped.
Lets all be nice
Do you have a PC? If so, get Guitar Pro and play along with it but use the speed trainer to slow down the song. Once you get comfortable speed it up.
Along with the other advice, try and meet other people who play and jam with them. You can learn a hell of a lot of stuff when you try and stay smooth with other guitarists with different chops than you. It helps expand your playing.
Quote by Jinskee
Are you really sitting down and practicing the solo, or are you just noodling around half of the time?

Practicing is all about concentration. You could be someone practicing for 30 minutes a day and improving more compared to someone playing 4 hours a day. The difference is how well you use your time.

Of course, this might not even be relevant in your situation--anyway, start of very slow. That's really the only way to do fast phrases.

Well i do noodle at times, i try to play something i find hard to myself and just keep at that. THen go back to the solo i stopped and vice versa. The noodling i do is something I'm not good at. Right now I'm working on the notes to come out sounding good when i play on the amp, it could be my ****y Fender 15R amp, the notes get muddy. Palm muting almost sounds like I'm playing the A string open but its muted. but I keep at it... thanks for all the tips guys, I will keep at it. quick question, when you guys play past the 12th fret, do you use 3 fingers most of the time? I can somewhat decently apply all of my fingers to solo, i sometimes feel slowed by using all 4. Can't tell if its a good thing at time or bad, as Malamsteem(sorry for spelling) rip through the upper parts of the frets with 3 fingers
LOL
Last edited by SiKh22 at Mar 10, 2008,
I use 4 fingers above the 12th fret.

Slowing down and concentrating on accuracy is key. Speed will come with time and boatloads of practice. When I get frustrated, actually bored, I just learn a new song and that usually gets me cranking the amp again.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It really depends.

I usually use three fingers, but there are situations where you need to use all four fingers. My advice is to work on using all fingers--even if it slows you down, it'll help you in the long run.

But then again, there are players who rarely even use their pinky, so do whatever feels right for you.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
my advice (havent read every other post)... is to learn a few easier but fun songs, and keep the maiden song on the back burner, that way you feel good about nailing some songs and increasing the amount of songs you can play, but still also work on the harder stuff.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158