So how do you practice? I'm trying to figure out a really good method of practicing. I'm not sure whether I should be playing one routine over and over for 30 mins or play that for 10 then somehting else, then that for 10 again. Should I time myself when practicing because when I do i tense up a little more? and should i simply practice parts of songs over and over, change it up from day to day, or what? Also should i increase the tempo on my metronome as i'm practicing when i feel comfortable or play at that same tempo for a week or two?
Also, when practicing a run or exercise should i stop between each cycle or should i try and play continuously?
My goals when practicing is to develop my picking and fretting speed (which can only be done by muscle memory repetition and note accuracy), but how slow is acceptable, because I can set it very slow and play a run or two with no mistakes but by the fourth or fifth continuous run i may make a mistake. Is that acceptable? or do you need to continuously reduce the tempo until it is 40bpm quarter notes?

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

use steve vai's 10 hour workout with a metronome it helps me tremendously for speed also whenever you feel comfortable with the speed your at take the metronome up 5 beats and continue
Have:
Dean DOF w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Pickup Set
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb 50w Head
Randall KH-120 Cabinet

Want:
Marshall 1960a Cabinet
so by the way i don't have 10 hours in a day to just practice. i work full time and go to school. i have maybe 1 - 2

Quote by The Virtuoso

Quote by saphrax

do little sections at a time narrow down the lesson to what you think can help you learn more faster thats what i do
Have:
Dean DOF w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Pickup Set
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb 50w Head
Randall KH-120 Cabinet

Want:
Marshall 1960a Cabinet
when i first started playing id "play" practice for 4-8 hours a day. Guitar should be somethen you just do and lose track of time. Dont time yourself thats just lame and it makes its seem like a job. Guitar should be fun.
If you want a suggestion i just do all what i consider the boring stuff first a couple of times then i basically screw around with different songs and improvise and what not and don't time yourself that makes it boring just play for how long you want to play. And if your trying to learn a song for example the intro start of going through it slow a couplle of times until you feel comfortable enough to go quicker but don't feel like your obligated to be constanly practicing th esam epart have fun with it!
Practice should be your own. Nobody can define the way that YOU should practice, no matter how many formal directions you get pointed in. Your join date defines you as a seasoned guitar player, so you must know plenty of licks, scales, chording, and awesome songs at your disposal. During my practice I just go nuts and, like a previous poster said, lose track of time (I'll start at like 3 P.M. and finish around six or seven). I usually start off with movable finger scales, gradually increasing my speed and saying the notes in my head until I'm warmed up. It'll start as one two octave scale every six seconds until it graduates into every 2 or 3 seconds, when I hit that point my practice is done. Everything after that is song, riff, and fun.
ok so im just wondering none of u practice a lick, run, or exercise for an hour straight? cause thats what i've been trying to force myself to do and it becomes very difficult maintaining your focus while still being precise and sticking exactly to the metronome. ok i think i know what to do in my practice routine now.

by the way how do u guys remove urself from distractions?

Quote by The Virtuoso

Quote by saphrax

I never really believed in a method of Practicing like sighting out how long to do something or when. I just play my finger exercise for a bit and play chords solo over them and then practice things that need to be worked on that I feel I can be better at.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
yah thats what i've been doing but i just hit a rut of not being able to play any of the scales faster than 92 bpm sixteenths so i'm trying to bypass that and also work on other things that need more attention like string skipping and arpeggio picking with the pick.
oh and again how do you guys make sure you don't get distracted while practicing?

Quote by The Virtuoso

Quote by saphrax

Distractions? Normally when I'm practicing, the world could come to an end and I wouldn't notice. I get in a zone and the next thing I know it's two hours later and I'm late for something, LOL... I kinda turned my spare bedroom into the "guitar" room, so I'd suggest going into a bedroom and shut the door. Or, maybe your really bored with what your practicing and it lets your mind wonder, if that's the case, move on to practicing something else....
i do this everyday and it seems to werk for me......15 mins of scales and improvisation.....15 mins of learning new things (scales, chord progressions, licks, arpeggios etc...)....and 30 mins of playing songs u know and learning new ones....or if ur more advanced, solos....u can get backing tracks on the net if u have no one to jam with....but u should always improv....jus scales up and down are boring as hell....
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
I would recommend getting a book of lessions to work through. My practice routine consist of playing scales and chords for about 20 minutes everyday. Then I alternate my focus from day today, I work through a book of lessons for two days, songs for three days and improvise for 2 days. I usually average about an hour a day of practice, but at a minimum I try to pick up the guitar every day.