hey guys, ive been playing a lot lately, and on one of my fingers, around the part where it connects to your hand is really sore when i play, is this just soreness from playing so much, or would you say its strain from improper form?
Gear:

Ibanez RGT42DX
Boss MT-2
I'm not sure but I can say my knuckles have never hurt from playing. The only part I have experienced soreness is in between my pointer finger and thumb. Also my fretting arm occasionally and my picking arm.
my second finger hurts, but thats because i shattered the knuckle about a year ago and hence it is now wonky and doesnt move properly. guess i better give up my shredding dreams ...

but seriously now, unless you have some sort of medical issue, your fingers shouldnt be hurting.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I dunno about hurting, but they should be sore when you practice a lot

And yes my fingers are also ripped
Quote by JustinT80
hey guys, ive been playing a lot lately, and on one of my fingers, around the part where it connects to your hand is really sore when i play, is this just soreness from playing so much, or would you say its strain from improper form?

If at any point your playing hurts you should stop and seek some sort of professional advice be that from a doctor or guitar teacher.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by strings-N-stuff
My fingers are ripped.

LMFAO idk why i found that extremely funny..
Quote by JustinT80

How long have you been playing?
I had something similar when I started playing quite a lot. Just around my pinky knuckle, it would get really sore and stay like that for a while. My guitar teacher told me it was because I was new and my hands needed time to gain strength. So maybe just slow down and play shorter sessions and then build up to playing longer and longer
umm, for your information, fingers don't have muscles.

/thread
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul

/thread

Ummm... I believe every movable appendage has muscles or tendons (I think that's what they're called, I hate ****in anatomy!)

Oh and yeah, if you just started playing or practicing a ton, your fingers are gonna hurt. I believe the proper form is to almost have your wrist out in front of the neck of the guitar, idk, it works for me, made me 10x cleaner, faster, everything and I never get aches and pains anymore. But right now you're probably just experiencing things that your fingers are not used to doing, especially the pinky. Us guitarists are major bitches to that thing, it's not meant for any of the work we put it through, so atleast the pinky will hurt for awhile just because it's the most underdeveloped finger.

Your fingers will get ripped up, you want that, then that takes away that pain you got of strings cutting you like mad whenever you play. That's normal, we all had/have that. Just wait till you start tapping and fret strings with both hands, then your picking hand gets nasty too lol
Last edited by edusty2010 at Mar 9, 2008,
Quote by hopespaul

/thread

lol
While fingers technically don't have any muscles directly in them, they are almost all tendon, and as such, straining the tendons is quite possible, which will cause pain. This can be caused from overuse, improper technique or as a natural recourse to building stronger tendon to that particular part of the finger. Threadstarter, does your wrist hurt too, since that's where the muscle is. If it does, it's probably natural pain from increasing tendon growth and strengthening. If not, you may want to get it looked at cause that could be a knuckle problem (like a bone problem, not a tendon problem). Hope this helps.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix