... Incredible play, really sets the bar music, acting, and writing-wise.

I'm sure all of you know it's closing down after... how many years? I don't remember.

But yeah, it's great, and I'm really glad I got to see something like this, and I think it's something that we as a generation (although I guess it's the generation before mine) can really be proud of.

Anyone else see it? And what'd you think?
So we both like Ellen Page, and we both like RENT. We'd probably get along really well

I love RENT. I'm currently addicted to the soundtrack, specifically Another Day, and Finale B (No Day But Today).
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by Liberation
So we both like Ellen Page, and we both like RENT. We'd probably get along really well

I love RENT. I'm currently addicted to the soundtrack, specifically Another Day, and Finale B (No Day But Today).

Geez. We probably would.

The music was incredible. It was awesome. I don't really know what else to say about it, every single song was just top notch.
I know. It's fantastic. I'm really NOT a fan of musicals, but RENT blew my mind. Usually, the music in musicals is lame, and childish *Cough*The Music Man*Cough*, but RENT was outside of the box, and was truly something unique.

Jonathan Larson was a genius.
I honestly thought it was really bad. Besides the "Seasons of Love" opener, I wasn't impressed at all with the songs. It seems to me that the only reason it ever got big was because it was the first real production to address homosexuality and AIDS so directly.

I don't know. I know a lot of people who like it, but I hated it personally. To each his own, I guess.
The medium is the message!
Quote by The Rambler
I honestly thought it was really bad. Besides the "Seasons of Love" opener, I wasn't impressed at all with the songs. It seems to me that the only reason it ever got big was because it was the first real production to address homosexuality and AIDS so directly.

I don't know. I know a lot of people who like it, but I hated it personally. To each his own, I guess.

Seasons of Love was actually one of my less favorite songs.

There were a couple corny lines, but honestly, the music was cool and edgy, and I really dug it.
I thought it was all right, but yeah it's kinda sad it's going off broadway, I'm sure it'll still tour and whatnot for quite some time though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by RPGoof
....people still go to see plays?

Why wouldn't you? If it's good theater, it's very often better than the film versions.
The medium is the message!
Quote by The Rambler
Why wouldn't you? If it's good theater, it's very often better than the film versions.

Pfft, every play I've seen (not that I've seen a million) the movie version sucked compared to the play.
525,600 minutes!
525,000 moments so dear!

Ah...such a great song.

And to the guy who said Seasons of Love was the only good song, GTFO! Another Day and Finale B are amazing!
Quote by Liberation
525,600 minutes!
525,000 moments so dear!

Ah...such a great song.

And to the guy who said Seasons of Love was the only good song, GTFO! Another Day and Finale B are amazing!

I'm going to buy the cd.

The thing I like about the music, is that I could actually listen to it without watching the play at the same time. "Now it's starting to snow!" That was my favorite song, I think, although it'll probably change.
I saw it when I was very young with the original cast. From what I remember it was an amazing play.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I've never actually seen the show, but I love the soundtrack.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by KetchupLad14
I'm going to buy the cd.

The thing I like about the music, is that I could actually listen to it without watching the play at the same time. "Now it's starting to snow!" That was my favorite song, I think, although it'll probably change.

Oh man, my Last.fm charts will certainly reflect my constant listening to the RENT soundtrack this week.

I believe that it's called La Vie Bonhomme, but I might be getting the title wrong. I'm also gonna have to buy the soundtrack. I'd probably be the only guy in this province with the entire Iron Maiden discography, a Weather Report album, an Elton John album, both of Paramore's albums, and the RENT soundtrack

Ah, here we go. This is one of my personal favorites from RENT, probably my favorite overall, actually:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzuJp2tHstg
Last edited by Liberation at Mar 10, 2008,
Quote by Liberation

I believe that it's called La Vie Bonhomme,

La Vie Bohemme.

Great song in an amazing musical.

My sister got to see it with the original cast when we went to New York, but I was six, so I didn't get to go.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by HaKattack
La Vie Bohemme.

Great song in an amazing musical.

My sister got to see it with the original cast when we went to New York, but I was six, so I didn't get to go.

Well, I was close.

I'd love to see it on Broadway, but I'm pretty sure that I won't be getting out to New York before it closes in June
wait, there's a serious discussion on Rent on UG without any spam messages? How can this be?

I had to see it with my english class. Teacher thought it was the hight of western culture. Didn't much care for it. Everyone has AIDS, rips off an Italian Opera. Hell, at least when i got dragged to Hamlet, there was an ending to rival the departed.
Quote by Liberation
Well, I was close.

I'd love to see it on Broadway, but I'm pretty sure that I won't be getting out to New York before it closes in June

Oh ha. I saw it oin Broadway. I guess that means I'm better than you.
Quote by KetchupLad14
... Incredible play, really sets the bar music, acting, and writing-wise.

Quote by Liberation

Well, both of you like it, and we all seem to have similar tastes, so that means I may have to give it a shot.

I'd have to check out the film version though.
Quote by happytimeharry
Well, both of you like it, and we all seem to have similar tastes, so that means I may have to give it a shot.

I'd have to check out the film version though.

I don't know if you'd like it then. I actually haven't seen the film version, to be fair, but honestly, every single play adaptation of a movie I've seen has been pretty bad.
We performed Seasons Of Love at a cabaret evening at school. It's an okay song, but the harmonies we did we awesome.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by Waffleexplosion
I hate rent. They all have aids, but they all don't die... shame.

Personally i thought they play existed in some alternate universe where AIDS isn't a terminal disease.

I mean they have AIDS, not HIV, but full blown aids. People diagnosed with AIDS have life expectancies of about 3 months.