ill admit im ok at guitar but im not great by any means. i have a problem with my playing though and im not sure if its my short attention span or what but i was wondering if anyone could help me with this: when i try to learn someones song and i get most of it but get stuck on a riff i get discouraged and stop so i only know a couple of songs all the way through. any suggestions?
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
Quote by systematic_nois
ill admit im ok at guitar but im not great by any means. i have a problem with my playing though and im not sure if its my short attention span or what but i was wondering if anyone could help me with this: when i try to learn someones song and i get most of it but get stuck on a riff i get discouraged and stop so i only know a couple of songs all the way through. any suggestions?

keep playing, thats rly wat it is. slow down, take a deep breath and/or a break, look at it again, and keep going. perserverance is one of the best qualities in a good guitarist. if you cant get it at all. try to learn the basic technique used in the riff and go back and try again.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
bored_maniac33
keep playing, thats rly wat it is. slow down, take a deep breath and/or a break, look at it again, and keep going. perserverance is one of the best qualities in a good guitarist. if you cant get it at all. try to learn the basic technique used in the riff and go back and try again.

+1
That happens to me all the time... But hey, I know it happens cause I'm trying to play musics that are above my level.

Just dont stress about it... when i get stuck, i just stop learning that and go learn anything else... sometime later I'll come back to that and there will be no prob at all.

It's all about work. And the fact that you're worried about it shows that you're in the good way
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
Quote by ballroomofmars
kill yourself

after all the help your getting with your jazz question, you come over and bash someone who is trying to learn to play?

...unless of course you are refering to the john petrucci parody which makes the comment insanely hillarious

but STILL!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Slow down and place very small pieces at a time. Then you will remember them and play them better. Thats what my guitar lessons teachers has me do.