Hi,

I'm having problems because of not knowing, how to correctly put my fingers on the frets.
Suppose following sample:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - 1 - 2 1 3 2 4 3
- - - - - 1 - 2 1 3 2 4 3 - 4 - - - - - -
1 3 2 4 3 - 4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
etc.

When playing:
a) E1 -> E3
b) E2 -> E4
should following notes beeing pressed:
a) E1 E2 E3
b) E1 E2 E3 E4

When playing E3 -> A1 do all previous fingers (E1 E2 E3) remain on the strings (if even correct to previously press them).

When playing E4 -> A2 shlould there be the finger position A1 E2 E3 E4 -> A1 A2 E3 E4 or A1 A2 - E4?

Hope you understand what I'm meaning. How do I know to leave previously positioned fingers on frets and when should/must I release them (apart the one that is going to play the new note).

Thank you for helping.
Regards, Trridy
Try a chromatic pattern like 1234, play it on each string and once you reach the top or bottom string (depending on which way you're coming from) move up 1 fret and play the same pattern.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Sorry, but that didn't help me. I still have the problem, if each finger should remain on its fret until going to play another note.
Is there a common when to release the fret or how long to leave the finger on already played ones?

Regards, Trridy
I usually take that finger off of the string (keeping it close to the guitar) once its rung out for however long I want it to. This means, then, that if I play the 1st fret on the low E, followed by the 4th fret that my index finger is basically off of the strings immediately when i strike the 4th fret. So, no, you definitely do not need to keep your fingers pressed on a string until that particular finger plays another note. In fact, that probably slows your playing.