Page 1 of 2
i just restrung my kv2 for the first time since I got it, and it came with extremely low action, and I loved it.

now the action is higher. i used the same gauge strings and everything.

is this common??

help me!!!

the action seems to be the most changed in the higher frets...if that helps.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Last edited by nvranka at Mar 9, 2008,
Does it have a floyd rose of some kind?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The distance from the strings to the fretboard shouldn't change no matter what gauge strings you use...as long as their sitting correctly in the nut and bridge saddles.
they are, and it for sure is higher than it was.
Quote by nvranka
they are, and it for sure is higher than it was.

did you strech your strings?
Because if you didnt, the action will change.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
stretch them...like just the normal finger method or...?

let me say exactly what I did as I dont restring FR's often:

1) set all fine tuners to middle position
2) put a box of staples under the bridge
3) depressed the bridge with the trem arm, and then loosened the saddles
4) removed all strings from the guitar
5) set all tuning pegs facing same direction
6) put new strings in cut them to length

etc
etc
the action seems to actually pretty normal at the lower end of the board.

I was looking at the higher frets.

the action is much higher at the higher frets than it was,
Quote by nvranka
stretch them...like just the normal finger method or...?

let me say exactly what I did as I dont restring FR's often:

1) set all fine tuners to middle position
2) put a box of staples under the bridge
3) depressed the bridge with the trem arm, and then loosened the saddles
4) removed all strings from the guitar
5) set all tuning pegs facing same direction
6) put new strings in cut them to length

etc
etc

I think there's your mistake you f'd up the intoation and that can also screw up the action try adjusting all your fine tuners or intonate the guitar and it might go back to normal

- Will

Oh if you have a floyd rose I have no clue what the problem is
I smile because I have no idea whats goin on
I dont know about everyone else,
But i just pull on the string until it stops going out of tune.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by fenderuser93
I think there's your mistake you f'd up the intoation and that can also screw up the action try adjusting all your fine tuners or intonate the guitar and it might go back to normal

- Will

Oh if you have a floyd rose I have no clue what the problem is

**** are you serious?

i was told you were supposed to set them all equal before you do it...

are you supposed to do it after you take the block out and stuff then?
^That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The fine tuners do nothing to your action or intonation whatsoever.

Since you removed all the strings at once, did you make sure the knife edges settled into the post porperly again afterwards? That could affect it (but would also have a clearly audible effect on intonation)

Quote by illtrixtaj
The distance from the strings to the fretboard shouldn't change no matter what gauge strings you use...as long as their sitting correctly in the nut and bridge saddles.

Wrong. Thicker gauges will yank the neck forwards and make the action progressively higher towards the body end of the neck.
ok ok ok

then can someone please give me some suggestions as to what I should do?

i got all pissed off at what I had done, so I took those strings off, guitar is sitting here with something blocking the trem and no strings...so what the hell should i do to fix this **** up?
Quote by Pikka Bird
^That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The fine tuners do nothing to your action or intonation whatsoever.

Since you removed all the strings at once, did you make sure the knife edges settled into the post porperly again afterwards? That could affect it (but would also have a clearly audible effect on intonation)

Wrong. Thicker gauges will yank the neck forwards and make the action progressively higher towards the body end of the neck.

Thats what i though...
But i dont know myself, so i wasnt going to stick my neck out. lol
Definitely strech your strings, and hopefully that works.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
is there any reason my action would get ****ed up from just restringing then...i mean wtf.

this just doesnt seem like something thats common

im going to restring it once more, if the action is still ****ed up...do you guys suggest I mess with the action and intonation ? or take it to a shop?
Is the bridge level? And is it the same actual set of strings? Because if you put, say, a set of heavy top/skinny bottom 10s on, compared to a regular set of 10s, there'll be quite a bit more pull...
they are the same gauge all across the strings.

before I went and bough tnew ones I looked at the jackson owners manual that came with it.

it listed the factory gauges for strings 1-6.

the strings I restrung it with are the same gauage for each string as what was on there before.
Different brands might use different alloys, but I'm not really sure what the difference is. If the action really is that much higher, then it shouldn't be that.

And the knife edges sit correctly in the post?
im sorry but I dont know what you are referring to as "knife edges"
when you look down the neck, is it bowed forward at all? if it is you need to tighten your trussrod. i dont know why nobody has said this yet. to be quite honest i dont think anyone here knows what they are talking about.
Quote by Mibisabuela
when you look down the neck, is it bowed forward at all? if it is you need to tighten your trussrod. i dont know why nobody has said this yet. to be quite honest i dont think anyone here knows what they are talking about.

i think its more of a matter that this dude doesnt even know what knife edges are, let alone able to adjust a truss rod.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
so restringing one at a time makes it so the action wontget ****ed up?

and no, I refuse to touch the truss rod. as you said, I am VERY inexperienced when it comes to this type of this (setup), tho I do know that messing with that can really **** up your neck if you do it wrong.

important :

CAN messing with the action (adjusting the posts etc), and then fixing the intonation (assuming I can even do these things lol), **** up my guitar if I dont do it 100% right?
Quote by Mibisabuela

How about not making such crazy accusations when you're the one living in a cheese house!

If the action was fine before, with 100% identical gauge strings, then new strings will not have pulled the neck visibly forwards unless you put it under a microscope. Don't be a total birthday clown, man.
do you have any idea why it would happen then pikka bird ?

cause I am dumbfounded...and really pissed off lol.

I think im just going to restring it...see if it some how fixes itself, and if it doesnt, ill jsut take it to a tech and figure out what the real deal is.

thanks for all of your replies guys, btw.
Quote by ballroomofmars
like ****in play them for a while you retard.

haha

This is exactly why I hate floating trems. Are you sure you're using the same gauge strings, same brand, same everything? Are your strings all in the correct positions in their saddles, or did one or two slip? I know it happens to me sometimes and I wonder why my tunings off when I am stretching the strings.
High as tits
ok man,

take it from me: I do research before I ask questions.

my gauges are EXACTLY the same as the factory used. I dont know what kind of strings they used at the factory, but I got d'addario because theyre what I like.

the saddled string tips did not slip.

I know...it makes no sense to me either.
OK:

I restrung the guitar again last night, removed the trem block, and now ive noticed that in addition to the action being higher, my trem is no longer parallel to the guitar.

it is now a little front heavy (the string tension is higher than the spring tension I think?)...

now what the hell does it mean...? i thought spring and string tension were only put off balance if you change gauges...and I DIDNT do that!

god damn this is confusing and annoying.
You removed the trem block!?! Put it back. Now. I mean immediately. What are you hooking the springs into without a trem block?
hmmm it seems as though I made up my own term on that one and it happended to be referring to something else.

im so sorry lol, im not the greatest with technical terminology yet...but when I said "trem block" i meant I just unblocked the bridge (had a battery covered in tape blocking the trem while I changed strings).
Quote by Pikka Bird
How about not making such crazy accusations when you're the one living in a cheese house!

If the action was fine before, with 100% identical gauge strings, then new strings will not have pulled the neck visibly forwards unless you put it under a microscope. Don't be a total birthday clown, man.

cheese house? i dont get it. anyway, im not saying that the neck magically warped when he changed the strings, it could have been set up wrong in the first place adn gradually changed.

p.s. please explain the cheese house bit, im curious now.
But if it was 100% fine before he changed them (which he specifically said it was) then it would have had to have magically happened during the string change. And that's way too unlikely.

And I was just rearranging some sayings, mainly the "people in glass houses" one. Like "Don't shhot the bear until you know who it is" and "We'll cross that bridge in autumn", see... What I was saying is that since you don't appear to have read all the facts, it looks like you're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about.
well whatever, ive finally started to calm down lol ( I get paranoid)...im taking it to a shop tomorrow im going to go through what I did exactly, and see if the tech my friend goes to can see what I did (if anything) wrong, or wtf happened exactly.

thanks again for the replies tho. the tension is a little off balance atm...so I hope it doesnt **** the neck over sitting like that for a few days.
It'll be fine, don't worry. Make sure you ask the guy to explain what he did to it, so you acquire a little knowledge from this (and then post it here- I'm kinda curious, because I think I could fix it for free, but chances are you won't wanna ship it over here just for that)
You probably didn't set the spring tension to match the string tension, putting the bridge off balance. Different brands of strings will have slightly different tension, even with the same gauge. Look up a Floyd Rose setup guide on youtube.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
well i really didnt think that different brands would matter if it was the same gauge ( i couldnt figure out what the used at the factory).

It'll be fine, don't worry. Make sure you ask the guy to explain what he did to it, so you acquire a little knowledge from this (and then post it here- I'm kinda curious, because I think I could fix it for free, but chances are you won't wanna ship it over here just for that)

yeah for sure haha, I plan on asking to watch him actually do it and im going to ask a lot of questions on top of that.

I absolutely HATE not knowing how to do all these adjustments myself, but I just never wanted to **** around with any of my guitars and mess them up, you know?

anyways i'll let you guys know what he says and does, and why this happened, etc etc...i know a lot of you wont be interested...but w/e ill do it anyways lol
OK well I went to the tech today...

anyways, according to him I didnt do anything wrong, and he told me it was because the factory strings whatever they were, were the same gauge, but different material/wires etc, which causes the tension to go off balance.

he said, whether I switched them all at once, or one at a time, it wouldnt matter, and wouldnt effect the spring-to-string tension equilibrium.

anyways, hes going to fix up my action and even out the tensions etc etc...so...yep.

/end thread
Cool, then the factory strings were probably some kind of weird brand, because I have never tried a set of strings that would throw the balance off. (From the stock ones to Elixir to D'Addario to Ernie Ball- they were pretty even , and the bridge needed only slight adjustments).

However, I'm gonna backtrack a little to one of the first questions I asked, which was "Is the bridge level?"... Then I'm guessing it probably wasn't.
o I thought I mentioned that...

no it was not level. the strings tension > spring tension, so the bridge was being pulled a little forward.

thats why I was going to just adjust the screws under the back plate to level that out, then fix the action and intonnation myself. but tbh i am not good at any of those adjustments, and this is my baby (not to mention most expensive guitar), so I didnt want to **** anything up.
I could probably teach you a good method for setting up a floating bridge, so you can do it in the future (if you end up preferring another string brand, for instance)
Page 1 of 2