Hey everyone, upgraded my eight year old practice amp, a crate gx-15 to a Palomino v8. That's how long i've had my setup minus the wah, the crybaby's new. Been playing on and off, but recently getting back into it. Anyway, picked it up since guitar center has them on sale now for $160 for their green tag thing or whatever.
First impressions, wow this little 5watter can get loud. Tone is much better than my old 15w ss amp, thats probably a huge understatement. Cleans sound pretty damn good, but have yet to really crank her up. It's kinda late. But as far as i cranked it, it can't do metal on its own, which is known. But I will eventually be getting a bad monkey, since i hear good things about it, to really push the v8. Really no point to my post, just giving a little review i guess Anyone with palomino experience wanna chime in go ahead.
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
definitely a step up from a ss practice amp haha. im glad you're enjoying your new amp.

only 2 more months till i get my deluxe reverb
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
sweet, I always like to hear of somebody switching from SS to tube.
now if i could only convince people who like Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MG's the same thing...
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
I almost got one of the crate v series amps when they were still american made. I ended up not having enough money and got st louis made gx65 (http://www.guitarshop.net/crategx65.htm). It decent for what I payed for it. I finally got my hrd and all is well. I didn't end up get the v amp because the one in the store was broken.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by cerveza
sweet, I always like to hear of somebody switching from SS to tube.
now if i could only convince people who like Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MG's the same thing...

lol
thanks for the comments guys, that deluxe reverb looks pretty sweet

I almost got one of the crate v series amps when they were still american made. I ended up not having enough money and got st louis made gx65 (http://www.guitarshop.net/crategx65.htm). It decent for what I payed for it. I finally got my hrd and all is well. I didn't end up get the v amp because the one in the store was broken.

My v8 says manufactured in vietnam.... is there really that much difference in tone and quality between the ones manufactured here in the us vs there??? The one i have seems really well built.
Also im getting a slight hiss with the gain past 5ish, does this sound normal?? Would a noise suppressor help, maybe newer cables as well (they're also 8-9 years old :P )??
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
Congratulations on your new amp!

I'm also moving into tubeland very soon. My last amp was a Vox AD30VT and before that, a really crappy 10 watt solid state no-name practice amp.

I can't wait to join the ranks of tube-lovin' maniacs all over the world.
Quote by flydude
My v8 says manufactured in vietnam.... is there really that much difference in tone and quality between the ones manufactured here in the us vs there??? The one i have seems really well built.
Also im getting a slight hiss with the gain past 5ish, does this sound normal?? Would a noise suppressor help, maybe newer cables as well (they're also 8-9 years old :P )??

Crate started making the Palominos in Vietnam a few years ago, and they don't sound bad. Some people prefer to buy used to get a USA made model. I used to own a V16, and it died on me within the first week I had it, so the quality has dropped since they've been making them in Vietnam. I thought mine had great tone when it worked, so if you like yours, then there's no problem.

And definitely get new cables before buying a noise suppressor. Might clear things up.

Quote by Kevin Saale
I almost got one of the crate v series amps when they were still american made.

I have one as my current amp now. I was about to buy the newer V18 which is made in China, but I went down to my local music shop, and they had a USA made V1512 for sale, so I grabbed it. I get excellent tones from it with my OD. Great amp, glad I didn't pass up the chance to buy it.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by forsaknazrael
Any time you increase gain a significant amount, it'll increase the ease with which hum, hiss, and other noises are heard.

Totally normal. Just try not to play near electronics, fluorescent lights, etc.
Shielding your guitar will help, if you want to try that...

yea i'll try that out, just with my old amp, it didn't start to hiss till the gain was much higher up. Will also try new cables.

Another question, guitar center has the boss sd-1 on sale for $40, what would be a better match with my amp, that or a bad monkey for $50??? Bpags868, how are you liking your sd-1???
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
all tube amps make noise (hiss, hum, etc.) - especially turned up with gain...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
all tube amps make noise (hiss, hum, etc.) - especially turned up with gain...

even with the gain at 1, and volume past 4/5ish??

Just trying to make sure this is normal of tube amps, and is just something ill have to get used to
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
Quote by forsaknazrael
All amps in general do that, with a decent amount of gain...
Shielding the guitar helps a lot, and so does using humbuckers.

well i still get a hum/hiss with the gain at 1 and nothing plugged into the amp. It is in a room though with flourescents...someone wrote that maybe cause extra noise.
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
It's probably the room. Almost all amps make noise, especially the lower line amps. Not to say your amp is bad, but with the amount you spent some noise is allowed, if it was a 4 grand amp and I knew the amp was making the noise I'd be pissed.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Hmm alright, its weird though, my crappy $80 ss amp doesn't make noise on the clean channel and is pretty quiet till i get past 7 or so on the overdriven channel
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino