I'm saving up to upgrade to a tube head. I want the Blackheart Hothead but it hasn't come out yet, and I heard it wasn't good for playing metal.

I heard that the Peavy Windsor, in itself (without a pedal) can play metal? Is this true? I have a Metal Zone pedal but I'm trading it in for a DS-1 as I like it better. Will those pedals work on a tube amp, or will I just need an overdrive?
Dude I don't want to ruin your plans or anything but the windsor is kinda...blah. When you try to roll to distortion it's almost impossible to make the sound "bright" I would save for a better amp.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
It's pretty good for metal, but you would probably want an overdrive. It is also only one channel and has lousy cleans.

If you like metal I would recommend a Peavey 6505/5150 combo used.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

...If you like metal I would recommend a Peavey 6505/5150 combo used.

+1
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
It's pretty good for metal, but you would probably want an overdrive. It is also only one channel and has lousy cleans.

Once again recomending my amp, thus making my tone generic
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Bugera. Bugera. Bugera.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

cool thanks, i'll look into those.
Quote by sirlimecat
Once again recomending my amp, thus making my tone generic

Yeah because no one else who plays metal uses those amps
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Yeah because no one else who plays metal uses those amps

Hopfully not alot play techmetal with it :/
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Yeah, I spelled it right the first time in my first post so I'm not illiterate, it was just a mistake. Anyway, the reason I like the Windsor, is because I like JCM800's and it from what I've read it seems to have somewhat of the same sound.

I'm also upgrading to my first tube from solid state, and it's affordable. I have other things I buy such as gas, food, etc... so at the moment I just need something affordable.

I'd love to have a 6505+ but I don't have the money right now.
Oh, and I would need to buy a new cab, as I imagine it would sound like excrement through my MG cab. I plan on buying a used Marshall 1960A cab for when I get my tube head.

I'm also going to buy a cheap slanted MG cab whenever I find one for a good price, to upgrade my MG half stack, into a full stack, just for fun. I think that's what you're referring to, as I have it in my future equipment in my sig.
Yeah. I mean, if you want to, go buy it. But you said it yourself, you've got other expenses. It's really just a waste of money.

If you want to get a nicer cab, just go with a quality 2x12. Buy from Avatarspeakers.com, or something.

Or you can go with the combo version of the amps I mentioned. Combos are JUST as loud, and cheaper, too. 50 watts of tube power is deafening, you don't need a halfstack to play shows with one. I never get past halfway with my 40 watt tube amp. Ear-splittingly loud by then...
Well, I couldn't find the Randall you listed on Musicians Friend. And one that I found that was similar to the name you provided wasn't a pure tube, it was a hybrid. I also couldn't find Bugera amps.

And what would be a waste of money? Getting a 1960A cab? If I get a head, I'll need a cab for it... because it would sound like excrement in my MG cab, I was told.
Don't know what you mean about the Randall...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

And a quick Google search would have gotten you a Bugera hit...
http://www.samedaymusic.com/browse--Bugera--4115

No, getting the MG cab for a fullstack. BTW, Marshall cabs are uberly expensive. If you're going to spend that much...just grab a Vader.
That randall you just provided me a link for looks kick ass, but I can't seem to find the head version of it that you were talking about, as I'm looking for a tube head, not a tube combo, as the bassist in my band has a tube ampeg and the other guitarist has a mesa triple rectifier head and mesa cab.
But those are all too expensive. Sure I could find one used for probably around 400 if I'm lucky, but the peavy windsor is 400 new so I could hopefully find one used for a lot less.