Anybody know how Page gets his tone on since I've Been Loving You, it just sounds different than what he usually does.....J/W because I have no electric guitar at the moment and am bored.....Thanks
I get a pretty good tone with a Les Paul, clean tone, good bass, good mid, and medium treble.. sounds alright for me on the rhythm..
There's no definite answer on what guitar it was, many people seem to think it's the Tele, I do too. The amp is an interesting story, he was having trouble getting the tone he wanted and found a random amp laying around the studio. Page calls it the "axis" amp in an interview.
Page is so mysterious hmmmm it does sound kinda like a tele though......we can agree that he kicks ass though
When he plays it live he's using the Les Paul from what I've seen.

He's well known for using special switching. Anyone think that's an out of phase sound? It's pretty thin... (live i mean)
Quote by bullets34
When he plays it live he's using the Les Paul from what I've seen.

He's well known for using special switching. Anyone think that's an out of phase sound? It's pretty thin... (live i mean)

The speical switching or JP wiring is hyped up beyond belief. I explain the changes and wiring on both 'bursts here. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12283199&postcount=13

Sadly just about every gear site will get his Les Pauls wrong.

What you're hearing live is his distinct middle position tone, it was the result of the bridge pickup swap in '72. It's still in phase, just has a distinct honk to it. Only 2 guitars of his had out of phase capabilities during Led Zeppelin, the Tele and the Black Beauty.

Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Mar 27, 2008,
he uses a one channel marshall so he would just roll his volume down and he probabley used the rythem pickup or tapped em but yeah im pritty sure thats it