(woot first post!) l have an old beginner's model Rok Ax with a busted nut. l was thinking that instead of replacing the nut, just go on and swap the neck with a Strat's (l plan on virtually rebuilding the guitar as a personal project of mine).
then, as l was eating soup on my floor, l began to wonder if that would invite warping.

any help?
Quote by Mad Squid
from booty to gold
Dude, good booty > gold.
Quote by Mad Squid
(woot first post!) l have an old beginner's model Rok Ax with a busted nut. l was thinking that instead of replacing the nut, just go on and swap the neck with a Strat's (l plan on virtually rebuilding the guitar as a personal project of mine).
then, as l was eating soup on my floor, l began to wonder if that would invite warping.

any help?
I don't see how a proper neck swap would invite warping.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
even though the body is small and the neck would be much bigger? would that make an increase of tension?

thanks, by the way
Quote by Mad Squid
even though the body is small and the neck would be much bigger? would that make an increase of tension?

thanks, by the way
Nah, the tension is dependent on the size and length of the strings. Fatter strings need to have more tension to vibrate at the same frequency. Longer strings need to have more tension to vibrate at the same frequency.

The distance from nut to bridge HAS to be the same whether you use the Strat neck on a Strat, or on this body, whatever it is. Otherwise, the intonation will be completely wrong.

So unless you change the gauge of the strings, the Strat neck will see exactly the same tension on this body that it would on a Strat.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
if the distance from the nut to the bridge remains the same, that means the neck must roughly be the same length of the original neck, correct?
if l were to use a larger neck the intonation would get messed up, but could l, in a sense, 'train' by retuning until the neck and body are in sync?
Not roughly, exactly.

I doubt you could reintonate a neck that is too long.
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
would l then have to get a locking system of some type to hold intonation then?
installing a new nut (graphtech probably has one that would work) that is preslotted wouldn't put you back more than $6 or so off the net + shipping.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Quote by Mad Squid
if the distance from the nut to the bridge remains the same, that means the neck must roughly be the same length of the original neck, correct?
if l were to use a larger neck the intonation would get messed up, but could l, in a sense, 'train' by retuning until the neck and body are in sync?
A neck has a specific "scale".
The frets are positioned so that their intonation will be correct
when the distance from the nut to bridge saddle is (approximately) that length.

A Strat neck is built to a 25.5 inch scale.

The bridge must be positioned on the body so that the saddles
can be at a distance of 25.5 inches from the nut.
(slightly longer on some of the strings.)

If you can't position the saddles correctly, you must either move the bridge,
or just don't use that body. Simple as.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
l just measured the distance from the nut to the saddles on the student model (neck is still on, used rulers) the distance is about 24 inches, the neck is a little over 17 inches.

so then, in order to keep the distance between the nut and the saddles 25.5 inches, l am going to have to move the bridge up?
yep, either that or get a neck for a scale length of 24 inches.
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
would a locking system help in anyway were l to attach a neck with a longer scale length than the original neck?
Quote by Mad Squid
l just measured the distance from the nut to the saddles on the student model (neck is still on, used rulers) the distance is about 24 inches, the neck is a little over 17 inches.

so then, in order to keep the distance between the nut and the saddles 25.5 inches, l am going to have to move the bridge up?
The ONLY way to know is to measure from the end of the neck pocket to the bridge saddles on the body you plan to use. Then add that measurement to the distance from the nut to the heel of the Strat neck.

On my MIM Strat:

Nut to heel: 18 3/8 inches
Neck pocket to bridge saddles: 7 1/8 inches
Total: 25 1/2 inches.

So for the neck that I have, any body where the bridge saddles could be adjusted to about 7 1/8 inches from the edge of the neck pocket would work just fine. It sounds like it might fit, according to where the bridge is on your body, if you have enough adjustment in the saddles to move them toward the tail...

... no. You can't have my neck.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
ok, I have a hard tail bridge, but I am not sure if it'll give enough distance, or how to measure that anyway. so, How do I go about examining the bridge?

In case I cannot get the bridge right or I have measured something wrong and the intonation gets wacky, what should I do? get a tune-o-matic lookin thing around the nut?