So ive owned my valveking for about 3 months now and so far its worked petty good but lately in the back of my head ive started to regret buyin it after ive found what else is out there. Dont get me wrong its a great amp in its price range its just lacking thou. The cleans are great yet the dist is thin and tinny to me. i havent had time to mod it yet new tubes etc. Question is should i sell it and buy a new amp or mod the valveking. I know th vks speakers blow and all. Lately ive been looking at jcm 900 and 5150s. I play all metal as far as death metal but i primarily play in a 90s alt band. Price range would be to 700 or so. Would kinda like to go used parents wuld flip if i bought a brand new amp again. Com to think of it there gona flip when i tell them i wana sell my almost new amp. Any other suggestions would be great thanks.
Well both have downsides. The JCM-900 has awesome cleans )and i do mean amazing, but it doesn't have death metal gain to it. The 5150 has good distortion (and plenty of it) but it has NO clean sound (unless you go with a 5150 II).
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Have you ever checked out a bugera 333xl? you aren't gonna find a used one but it's an incredible value
Gear:
Traynor YCV40
Used Carvin V3 maybe. Or a Mesa F-50
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Used Carvin V3 maybe. Or a Mesa F-50

yeah but there are none on ebay at the moment
Gear:
Traynor YCV40
I have seen those before but ive havent seen them in person or played them. I really dont wanna buy a new amp just for the sake of not havin to convince my parents that i want to sell my half a grand new amp. If you can understand where im coming from on that point. I have been plannin on replacing the incredibly horrible stock speakers with celestion g12t-75 speakers that come standard in the 1960 marshall cabs. I played my buddys jcm 2000 tsl through the 1960a and it sounded reall full and nice. I dont know if it was just the marshall or a combination of both but ive heard good things about them. I just wanna fix the lead channel its so tinny and thin. Which i think is the speakers for the most part. Im also gonna replace the EHX tubes in the power and preamp with jjs and tung sols when i get the chance. Also plannin to buy a MXR 6 band eq. But will it be worth all of the difficulty in the end to mod the vk?
As for all the changes that you're thinking of putting into it, I would begin first with buying an EQ pedal. I have the VK100 which I though sounded great on it's own, until I finally got a Danelectro EQ. It really opened it up and for such a small amount of change, made a very noticeable improvement on the tone. It's also the easiest thing to "mod" the VK with. Simply put it into the effects loop. Not to mention that having an EQ pedal is a definite plus for ANY amp, and can still use it in front of a new amp if you decide to go that route.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Thin and tinny distortion? Have you not played around and EQ'd it at all?

I dunno, mine sounds anything but thin or tinny.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Ya ive played around with the eq a whole lot. I dont know maybe maybe i just really havent eq'ed it well. On some days the distortion sounds nice other days its just as i said tinny and thin. My eq'ed settings are

Bass: 8

Middle: 9

Treble: Around 6 or 7

With the distortion around 5 to 7 with the gain boost on sometimes. Presence and resenence knobs are 8 and 6. I really think it just might be the craptastic speakers in it though. It just doesnt sound that full to me. I was thinkin about maybe closing up the back? makein it an enclosed back if that would do anything. Ya i plan to first buy new speakers and a 6 band eq with my tax refund check. MXR 6 band and Celestion G12T-75s.