I've been looking into a new practice amp for when I play in my band. My guitar shop recently got this amp in and I liked it but what do you guys think about it? I couldn't play it loud or for very long so I havn't really gotten to make decision on it yest. Oh heres a link to it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

Will it be loud enough to be heard over the drums and what not? Also I play metal/hardcore/metalcore often (but not always) so I need to know if it can take distortion well. Any thoughts on this amp would be great.

By the way, right now I'm using a Roland Cube 15x so that isn't cutting it for me anymore, though its a fairly nice amp.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Last edited by SOCOOLITHURTS at Mar 10, 2008,
I have an AD30VT, and its pretty nice. The distortions can sound a little muddy, but once you tweak them a little i think they sound pretty good. The built in effects are decent too. As far as volume, i can turn mine up and shake the walls with it, so im fairly sure it can be heard over drums.
Gear:
Vox Valvetronix amp
Gibson Les Paul
Fender MIA Strat (soon with SeymourD. Pearly Gates humbucker)
---------------------------------

The chicken obviously came before the egg....of course I only say that because I hate eggs.
it may be a little quiet. i have that 50w model for home practice, and the drums are still a little too loud for it... my drummer is the loudest player ive ever heard though... changes his heads like once a month. it still might be loud enough though. you should probably test it out before you buy it.
it's great practice amp but i have the 50w XL model though but i do know from borrowing a friends amp that it's a great amp.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Try it before you buy it. I tried to make myself like it but I could not do it.
I have the AD50VT and I love it. If you're into more metal and stuff, the XL might be a better buy. Either way, try it before you buy it.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Epiphone 1966 Limited Edition G-400
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Egnater Tweaker 112 combo
i have the 15 watt, i love it to death. be warned, its not the best for metal though. seeing as i play more metal i wish i would have gotten the cube 30 or the microcube
30W isn't enough to play with a drummer.

Anyway it's a great practice amp Great vintage and blues tones. Lacks some distortion for metal, but you can always set your EQ pushing bass and treble to the max, and middle to min. right?
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
I have the 50 and it is plenty loud. I have never tried the 30 though.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
I rather like my AD50VT. It's rather diverse and it can go pretty loud (I've gigged with it a fair few times). As everyone else has said before, try before you buy. One persons MG is another's JCM800.

Well maybe not that extreme but you get my point.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
i think its a great amp

if u play avenged sevenfold type metal its fine
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by dilbert_5150
30W isn't enough to play with a drummer.

Anyway it's a great practice amp Great vintage and blues tones. Lacks some distortion for metal, but you can always set your EQ pushing bass and treble to the max, and middle to min. right?

If the drummer knows anything about dynamics then even 30w SS is enough to play with a drummer.
My 15w AD is plenty enough to play with a dynamic drummer that doesn't just beat the tar out of the drums as hard as he can.
My 5w BH is PLENTY loud enough.

Teach your drummer how to not destroy the kit.

If you want a Valvetronix and want to comfortably play with a bad drummer, by all means get the 50w version.
And as far as them handling metal, my little 15w handles metal fine... but maybe that has to do with the 18v EMGs in my LP.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
The cleans are fudging fantastic, you can squeeze every type of clean sound ever thought of out of these beasts.
The distortion is alright. It can do classic rock great, and hard rock stuff pretty well, but it's nothing stellar for metal. For proper metal tones use a pedal over the clean settings.
The effects are pretty cool too, apart from the auto-wah.
And of course, the things are loud. Very loud.
Last edited by Retro Rocker at Mar 10, 2008,
i only play metal on my AD30VT and i think it sounds pretty good, takes some pretty tedious tweaking to get the sound right but it wont take you long to figure out how to get some decent metal tones out of it.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
I have one and the more I play it the more I hate it. Its not a bad amp at all. I have the AD30VT. Don't get me wrong its great for Clean, Rock and Hard Rock but Metal just isn't good enough. The distortion is wrong. It has no tight low ends. The Roland 60 is way better for metal. Or check out some Randalls.
One of the advantages of the 50 is the Celestion instead of the speakers VOX throws into the others.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
I have it and its great for cleans but it wont give you good distortion, if you get it and want metal get a pedal.
I can get some really good metal sounds out of it, which is why I don't get why these other guys say they don't. The XL is more for metal, so that might be more up your alley, but either way try them out.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
A former friend of mine had a AD30VT and I really liked it, though you may want to go with the 50 for more headroom and the better speaker.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself