hello people, im wanting to do a show for my school and i wanted to play, play that funky music but ive only got a dean razorback now, so could anyone tell me what to do to get a really funky sound. it would be greatly apreciated
Your amp will define your sound at this point.

Play clean, and feel the funk?

What's wrong with your sound now?
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
ive tried to get the sound but i have a crappy amp and i cant get another one until my birthday in like 5 months so i cant do much else except maybe get new pickups but i dont know if that will help. also if getting new pickups will help please recomend some cause i dont know pickups very well
Do not get new pickups. Focus everything into getting a new amp first.

You won't get good tone until you find an amp that gets you most of the way towards the sound you're looking for, after your technique gets as close as it can. Your guitar should take you almost the rest of the way there.
so you have an ultra cool razor back, but a crappy amp..
AND you want to play funk music...
boy your priorities are all messed up
Quote by stilleto
so you have an ultra cool razor back, but a crappy amp..
AND you want to play funk music...
boy your priorities are all messed up

I dunno if I would really rate that Wild Cherry song as bonafide funk.

It's more like a rock song with a funk flavour, but not quite funk in my book.

Though, like Metheny said about jazz, funk is more of a verb than a noun.
i know but its not all funky music i like, the ONLY funky songs i like is play that funky music, but i play songs like mr. crowley and sweet child o mine, but my parents bought me a $700 guitar they decided i can buy my own damn amp, which i got from a pawn shop for $20 and i new it was crappy but i needed an amp bad
does your school have an amp you can use, cause if you want to get a funky sound, i think that particular song you can just use a really strong Wah to make it sound funky.

Edit: oh yeah I forgot you need a good amp too. so yeah, Wah pedal and maybe borrow a school amp for the gig. just hope they have a good one. best advice I can give if you have no money and no time
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I doubt that a Razorback through a (I am assuming) solid state, crap amp will give you a good "funk" sound...
High as tits