Hello. After searching through the jungle of old UG forum threads, i've narrowed my guitar options to two...

Schecter C-1 Classic
C-1 Hellraiser FR

I play blues, modern rock & a lot of stuff on the clean setting, but I also want to be able to shred comfortably whenever I feel. I've read that the Classic is the more versatile one but I'm in desperate need for a tremolo system so the OFR on the Hellraiser is heaven.

I haven't played either yet BTW.

The emg's in the hellraiser have had mixed reviews so I'm willing to swap them out if I don't like them. But I want individual pickup volume & tone controls and be able to coil tap.

So, Practically, I'm looking for a C-1 classic with an OFR and high output pickups (coil tappable or 5-way switch) with good cleans (and individual vol/tone controls if possible).
What would be a good compromise for a guitar eg. a Blackjack C-1 FR like in the new 08 catalogue (but I don't like black).

Will look at other suggestions for guitars.
Are my needs too particular?

And BTW I currently play a Fender strat into a Orange tiny terror.
Cheers
well then...i was in the same dellema (except w. a c-1 +) and i choose the c-1+ over the FR b.c i really needed versatility more than i need a FR. Just ask your self honestly how much will you use the FR? if u dont need one dont get it but if u need it just get the HR and change the pups.
Any particular reason you need the OFR? Because that Classic is set up for what you want to play, like right to the core, it has everything but the OFR (I think the pickups are coil tapped already), and it has one of the coolest inlays ever (Vine of Life is amazing to look at in person, confusing sometimes to play, but amazing to look at, not that an inlay should make your decision though, just saying). If you want you can set up a Hellraiser to coil tap when you put new pickups in (I think most of them can be set up that way, but it might require new pots or something). Again, why do you need the OFR?
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Well, would It be worth it to rout in a OFR into the classic?

Maybe i can't justify getting one but i can't justify not getting one. I will hate my self when it comes to the time when i need to use a tremolo and it's not there.

I'f I were to swap out pickups for the hellraiser, what would be the way to go? are blackouts tappable (lol tappable)?
Last edited by RichardLotspard at Mar 10, 2008,
You can go to any manufacturers website, click on a pickup, and it should tell you if it can be coil tapped and generally they have wiring diagrams to tell you how to do it as well. I will say that if you are going to be making the mods DO NOT ROUTE THE CLASSIC FOR AN OFR! Going from a string through to an OFR I have heard is very difficult so I wouldn't recommend it.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Ashdown Fallen Angel
ESP Phoenix
personally if your not playing 100% metal 100% of the time id go w. a nice set of Duncan passives. But anyways...it would def. not be worth it to rout an ORn into a classic unless your a luthier it would be way to costly.

If you really want a tremolo just get a whammy pedal? ( just a thought)
Ok then.

Well how bout if i went for the hellraiser, what would i have to do to get a good sound, staying with actives?

And how about the Blackjack ATX, there's no coil tapping but i really only want the tapping so i can get almost fender clean tones. Are there any actives that can get close without tapping, say the blackouts?
The simple answer is no. Even with coil tapping you aren't going to get nearly as good a clean as a Fender single, don't even try. You'd be better off getting a guitar with whatever you want and just using the Fender for those songs that require you to play with a very bright clean sound. And you have a strat, can't you just use that for the trem, pretty much rendering getting another guitar with one pointless. In fact, it really seems that what you want is a HSS Strat, so why not just get an American HSS strat and switch out the bridge bucker for something better and coil tap that, if it's even necessary.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Ashdown Fallen Angel
ESP Phoenix
onemanarmy, you're probably right.

Anyway, It will be a week or two before i'll be able to make time to check them out.
And I need to sell the strat for money into this guitar just FYI.
Sorry for the double post but could anyone point me in the way of a thread or webpage that deals with electronic modding eg. wiring from a 3 way selector to 5 and fiddling with the insides?