i kno this has been asked a million times, but most valve jr vs XXXXX never took into consideration modding. my current plan is to get 2 valve jr heads and mod them differently, because i play metal and classic rock sound (hendrix, white stripes, black keys), so instead of going for one versatile amp, i would get 2 heads and go all out on each one. i would then probably go for the valve jr cab to match.

so with modding in mind, would this be my best route? does modding actually change the sound the much, cause i see mixed reactions. does anyone have other suggestions of all tube heads? (i would like heads so i could get one or 2 and go into one cab, cause like i said, instead of one versatile amp, id rather get 2 heads and go more towards each end with each head) thanks all.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I just got the combo and based on it's ability to take multi-fx and pedals. I'm going to order the head/cab. Alot of mod pages dedicated to the vavle jr, but your gonna wanna make sure to check the diagram that comes with your amp. Epiphone has already made some of the changes.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Blackheart? Palomino?

Those are the two biggest on UG, I believe.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
yea i hear good things about those 2 as well. its just that i cant really test out a pre-modded valve jr, so im trying to gather opinions because testing in the store will only get me so far.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't really think a VJ will do metal on its own, however modded it is. Mine is pretty crazy modded, won't get past maybe GnR.

Why don't you invest in an amp that you'll actually be able to use at a gig or at band practice? The VJ isn't really loud enough to get over most drummers.

^ Polite way of saying your plan is whack, which it is.

You could modify a VJ with Dimebag's remains, and it's still not going to be a metal amp.

Two heads into one cab isn't going to work either, without some kind of loadbox/switcher in there. For the money that you'd be spending, you'd be significantly better off getting a larger, more versatile amp, and a decent OD/distortion pedal to go with it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I wouldn't bother with buying 2 and modding them. I'd just take that money you're going to do all that **** with and get a better amp.
Quote by slatsmania
^ Polite way of saying your plan is whack, which it is.

Two heads into one cab isn't going to work either, without some kind of loadbox/switcher in there. For the money that you'd be spending, you'd be significantly better off getting a larger, more versatile amp, and a decent OD/distortion pedal to go with it.

Two heads will go into a stereo cab. But still. I agree with you. Get something else.
Quote by paranormal5150
Two heads will go into a stereo cab. But still. I agree with you. Get something else.

Yeah, I based that comment on this:

Quote by xxunder-takerxx
i would then probably go for the valve jr cab to match.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i wasnt planning on plugging them both in at once, they would just be there to be able to be switched by switching the plug in the back. and the reason i dont need anything louder is because im not in a band or anything, im just a hobbyist.

i see a lot of reasons not to go ahead with my plan...but i dont hear other suggestions of what to get :-P hehe. help?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
i would say around 250ish USD. something small that i can crank to get natural od without breaking windows, and can handle very high gain, but still has a smooth classic rock sound....those are my basic needs.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Really? I figured it'd have been bigger than that since two VJ heads are about 250, plus the one cab...plus any money for modifications...I'd have figured at least around 400-500 bucks.

Well, you're not gonna get an good amp that can do metal or high gain for 250 bucks. You could get a Palomino V16 for a little more than that, at Guitar Centers...and that would do classic rock splendidly.

Have you checked your local craigslist.org at all?
Really? I figured it'd have been bigger than that since two VJ heads are about 250, plus the one cab...plus any money for modifications...I'd have figured at least around 400-500 bucks.

thats why i wanted to go with the valve jr modded, cause i heard some on youtube that are crazy. and the music store i go to has the heads for 80 a piece and i think 120 for the cab. so all in all it would cost me about 300.

but just for future reference if i wanted to dump more money like around 500, what would be a good choice, since u seem to kno ur stuff. thanks.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
well, i mostly play metal (not nu metal, like metallica, black sabbath), and even the classic rock i play has a lot of gain and fuzz.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Why buy two heads, mod them, and then switch back and forth? Just buy one amp of your choosing and switch your tones with pedals.