just wondering what other people think. i dunno what guitar to choose.
no stupid answers please i only want sumone whos actully played one or the other.
thanks.
ok so the choices are:

Jackson DK2M

or

ESP LTD M-400

oh and if anybody reckons sumthin totally differnt would be better lemmy know.
Lets all be nice
Consider schecter hellraisers too.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
well, I'm gonna agree with 123-Trav, Hellraisers are definitely the go,

as far as those two...uhm...Jackson is stupidly over-priced for what they are, so the LTD would be the better option of the two
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
yeh the jackson is very overpriced, hmm i never considered the hellraisers. thanks!
schecters ive played have horribly thin necks, and out of the two u mentioned there i prefered the tone on the ESP, a bit less bright

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
but ima chick so i got small hands, thin necks r usually the better. but i dunno a mate of mine tells me id like ibanez, i played a few n hated them all. yeah im starting to lean towards the ESP, my first axe was one n i still like the brand.

but any other ideas peoples?

looking for dual humbuckers, id like alder body n yeh floyd.
If you have small hands stick with something that has a 24.75 scale... Makes reaching the frets a little easier.. And i prefer esp over jackson.. As long as its not a Agathis esp..
Got a DK2M and I think it's great.....

Jackson Pro series are very good value for money.

I'm not sure what part of the world you are from but here in the Uk the LTD costs loads more than the Jackson....
I'd chose the Jackson by a MILE, a superior guitar in most aspects (as opposed to 'I have one and it's better but I don't know why lulz'): timber, construction, overall sound.

If you have small hands however the LTD may be more appropriate? I like the necks on the DK2s but the nut width tends to be a bit uncomfortable for me.

I'm not big either but I prefer thicker necks. With thin necks I get cramps easily. Don't be lurred into thinking that if you have small hands you'll prefer thin necks. In the long run you may get hurt.
They are both good guitars. I would personally go with the ESP, but I'm somewhat biased as I can't stand Jackson necks and ESP is like bliss for me. You should go to the local Sam Ash and try them both out for yourself.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by Becca138
but ima chick so i got small hands, thin necks r usually the better. but i dunno a mate of mine tells me id like ibanez, i played a few n hated them all. yeah im starting to lean towards the ESP, my first axe was one n i still like the brand.

My two-penneth, look for a second hand Jackson Fusion. Short-scale, compound radius neck with a nice skinny profile.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ian_heath/Misc/Gear/Fusion%20%231.jpg
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
The jackson is by far better, especially here in the UK price wise, my DK2M cost me £360 which is cheap, and a mate of mine who played it said it it felt as good as his ESP Alexi laiho signature? but the best way forward would be try both models and go from there.
Jacksons smoke ESP LTD in build and material quality, so go Jackson. ESP LTD are mass made in Korea. Jackson are made in Japan and have hand shaped necks.
ESP's Have a very nice tone even the ltd maas made ones, i would reccomend the ESP
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Trying to think of other short-scale shredders out there. Peavey V-Type (aka Peavey Vandenberg) and I think ESP/Ltd did an MV model which was short-scale as well. There's also the Caparison Horus (but that's probably out of your budget range).
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
Quote by Becca138

i'm not a chick,but i have girl hands and the hellraisers neck is fine to me i mean i could feel the difference but i got used to it.
If I remember correctly, that LTD is either a neck-through or a set-through, while the dinky is a bolt on. If you play higher up on the neck, you may be more comfortable on the LTD.

The Luna Andromeda is a pretty solid guitar, if you swap out the pick-ups. It is basswood, so it will sound a bit different than an alder guitar (not better or worse, the tone is just different). I almost picked one up awhile back.

Ignore people that say you should get "x" because you are a girl though or that you have small hands. People with bigger hands are not automatically more comfortable on thicker necks and vice versa, that is a person to person thing. There are also a lot of other factors. If you play with your thumb always behind the neck or always have your thumb over the fretboard or if you switch and use whatever is best in the given situation, you may like a different neck.
get the Jackson, you cant go wrong
Gear:

Stinger Smx
Hondo H-1
Fender Classical
Custom Mini Les Paul
60 watt Mega Tube
GNX4 workstation
6 pack of Shiner Bock
Out of the 2, i would go with the ESP. I do not care for Jackson necks.

You cant go wrong with either of them though.
get the Esp. much more value for your money. I have the mh-400 and It has served me well through near constant playing for 4 years. I have 10-56 guage strings on the floyd (huge ass strings) , and it stays in perfect tune. Also, standard bolt on's (like the jackson) make upper fret access near impossible.
I get good fret access on Strats and I have small hands. It really isn't that big a deal. And we obviously all have different ideas on value.
Oh and the bigger the strings, the more they usually stay in tune. Not a factor. And 10/56 is not much of a 'huge ass' string gauge either.
Im a guy i have tiny girly hands and use a EC-1000. Its super comfy for smaller hands. Ive also own a jackson dinky but i rarely play it (in fact in selling today :O) There both good guitar spec wise but id suggest the LTD.

we must become the change we want to see.
I own the DK2M and I can say without a doubt that it is a great guitar, the neck on this thing is awesome. I have played a few LTDs and my freind has one its also a decent guitar with great tone. My best advice is just go to a guitar shop and try them both out.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
either way you cannot go wrong.

Ps. Schecter and ibanez are garbage

LOL WUT?

Schecters are in general, very good for the price. Ibanez are good, except for the edge 3, which is a pot-metal trem. Their house pu's aren't great, as well.

Therefore, your statement megaphails.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
in my opinion and im talking about the mid range schecters and ibanezs not the 1000+ ones
I love biased posts, specficially CJrockers because everytime I see his name I cringe since most likely an incredibly stupid comment is coming.

I've owned the DXMG, DKMG, ESP LTD M400, and the M-1000. As far as build, quality, and components go with the LTD. We can't tell you what to pick based on how something feels as that is an extremely subjective opinion.

Also, ESPplayer, the Ibanez 1570 RGs are simply amazing. If it isn't prestige it usually doesn't feel too good though.
Go with the Jackson.

ESPplayer5150... you can just tell that he has about "1 guitar store visit" amount of experience with guitars.
Last edited by The Arch Enemy at Mar 28, 2008,
I'd get the Jackson. They're yummy and the model you're looking at is made in Japan. That's better than made in Korea for the LTD.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by ESPplayer5150
in my opinion and im talking about the mid range schecters and ibanezs not the 1000+ ones

There are very few 1000+ Schecters, and a Great Ibanez is 750. So, again, you phail.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I don't enjoy the hellraisers neck. Someone said that it was thin? I say its a normal girth, compared to my soloist's thin neck.

its too bad I don't like them cause they look awesome.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
I'd definately say Jackson. I was recently doing a side-by-side at a store, and I thought the Jacksons had a much better feel, both in terms of playability and quality.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Quote by CJRocker
Jacksons smoke ESP LTD in build and material quality, so go Jackson. ESP LTD are mass made in Korea. Jackson are made in Japan and have hand shaped necks.

Meh, you give the Pro Series more credit than it deserves. You almost make it seem like they are 'custom shop build quality'. Just because they are MIJ does not make them amazing quality. Its a get what you pay for deal. Even though it is MIJ, they aren't going to be doing anything special to it considering most have a relatively low price tag of $700-1300 give or take a little. I've played several Pro Series Jacksons, including the more expensive ones, and they were above average. I've also played Korean made LTDs, and they too were above average. Sure MIJ may be better, but don't feed us this mass made, not as good craftsmanship garbage...
Be cool.
jackson. that particular one is way better than most ltd's/esp's

edit: and to the guy at the top of the page, you must have incredibly small and mis-shapen hands to say that bolt-on jacksons have bad fret access at the upper frets.
Last edited by ironman1478 at Mar 28, 2008,
^lol at the misshapen hands
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12