Professionalism on live concerts (concerning metal bands of course)

Page 1 of 3
On Saturday March 8th I had the chance to see lots of my favorite bands together play at a live concert.

Annihilator, Nevermore, Edguy, Tristania, Sodom etc..

When Annihilator went up and played it was like someone just pressed the play button on the PA's and jeff and the other band member were pretending to play, you know?
Their sound, their playing, their plan of the setlist was simply superb whereas Nevermore which is considered to be a big band had technical problems, loomis was making mistakes all the time, their sound was incredibly crappy and that goes for every other band that played there..

So my question is, what band that you have seen (in your opinion) is the most professional band there is in the metal community ? Annihilator are underrated but they slay at live concerts..

Share your thoughts on the issue, why do you think that is etc etc..

RULES : Only metal bands allowed ( according to UG rules), bands with a -core suffix and a "nu" prefix must remain in their own forums.. Thank you.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Last edited by Necrolust at Mar 10, 2008,
DevilDriver put on a pretty good live show. The worst band I saw would have to be Killswitch Engage (yes I know they're not metal).
Iron Maiden =] Duh saw them a month and a bit ago in their brisbane (Australia) show. Technically they're the only metal band ive seen with out a -core suffix though. But they were still VERY good. Ive seen some bands on youtube and dvds ect and some of my favourite bands were just crap live.
Behemoth are the single tightest, strongest, most proffesional act I've seen. Nergal and Seth went into a little ram-like headbutting fight, all the while still playing their guitars and not missing a beat, not to mention they played almost the whole show at double speed.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
Behemoth are the single tightest, strongest, most proffesional act I've seen. Nergal and Seth went into a little ram-like headbutting fight, all the while still playing their guitars and not missing a beat, not to mention they played almost the whole show at double speed.

yeah, I'm looking forward to going to the upcoming Behemoth show here in Greece.. I'll probably even meet Nergal afterwards cause I happen to know a certain someone who knows Nergal
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by Necrolust
...loomis was making mistakes all the time,.. .

LIES!!! DEATH TO YOU

/loomis fanboyism

But seriously It's not like loomis to make mistakes. Was that the night everyones set was cut short? apparently some shizam went down there. Warrel apologized on the neverboard about it.
Opeth.
Even though I have an extreme fanboyism for Akerfeldt (obviously...) they play an AMAZING show. Technical accuracy, spot-on singing and rhythm.
Perfect sound, no fvck-ups and always talk to their fans (well....when they can).
Plus, they're some of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by dead-fish
Behemoth are the single tightest, strongest, most proffesional act I've seen.

There really is no one who can compete with Behemoth on the live front as far as I know.
I've seen Death Angel live twice and they were very good live. Mark Osegueda really acts with the audience which is great and both times i've seen DA play when we ask for an encore they come back onstage and play some more. Also Necrophagist seems very good live too.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by bootyguard
both times i've seen DA play when we ask for an encore they come back onstage and play some more.

that isn't really anything special. Something like 90 % of the time an encore has been planned beforehand...

Anyway... Death Angel really is great.
Napalm Death are the tighest band Ive seen, probably due to Danny's insane talent. They absolutely ripped through every song, without missing beats or notes, they were incredible.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
out of the ones I've seen, Riverside played just like on the records, actually even better, it was awesome
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Necrolust
On Saturday March 8th I had the chance to see lots of my favorite bands together play at a live concert.

Annihilator, Nevermore, Edguy, Tristania, Sodom etc..

When Annihilator went up and played it was like someone just pressed the play button on the PA's and jeff and the other band member were pretending to play, you know?
Their sound, their playing, their plan of the setlist was simply superb whereas Nevermore which is considered to be a big band had technical problems, loomis was making mistakes all the time, their sound was incredibly crappy and that goes for every other band that played there..

So my question is, what band that you have seen (in your opinion) is the most professional band there is in the metal community ? Annihilator are underrated but they slay at live concerts..

Share your thoughts on the issue, why do you think that is etc etc..

RULES : Only metal bands allowed ( according to UG rules), bands with a -core suffix and a "nu" prefix must remain in their own forums.. Thank you.

1. I lol @ the fact you said "no core" and the first two responses were about DevilDriver, KSE and BFMV. N00bs ftl
2. Sounds like my Soundwave Festival experience, only without the good part....
Blind Guardian are brilliant live. The only thing the band doesn't recreate perfectly is the vocal layering from the albums BUT the fans sing along to everything (including guitar melodies and solos) so it still has the same effect.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by dead-fish

Yeah, same when I saw them. Tighter than a 12 year old they were. Even tighter than they would be Beneath the Massacre. Their music is so damn complex and erratic, and yet they do it verbatim live. It astounded me.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
I have seen Slayer many times and they are always tight(for the most part).

Easily the screwiest thing I have seen happen was Sabbath with Glenn Hughes singing in the mid 80's. His voice was so fried Iommi just walked off stage after about the fourth song and the concert was over. Hughes had been constantly making excuses after each song and I believe Iommi may have cancelled the rest of that tour directly.
Metallica are an unbelievable live band.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Martyr are always tight as hell whenever they play. Necrophagist and Quo Vadis come to mind as well.
Metallica and Lamb of God have been the two best live bands I've seen. The worst would have to be Sanctity. The sound was absolutely ****, all you could hear was the vocals. And I'm pretty sure they were playing to recorded drums, because occasionally they would fall out of time and you would hear the drums all over the place but they weren't anything close to what the drummer was actually playing.
Quote by Inimical

Yeah, they'r good live to. But Behemoth = pure awesomness live.
Opeth.. They're simply amazing..
Just listen their live albums.. Ofcourse, there are some minor mistakes, but they're human too..

Last time I saw them the sound could have been a bit better, but I guess that varies per place..
I saw arch enemy the black crusade and they really suprised me with how tight they were. But i have heard that behemoth are the best for this, i really wanna go see behemoth
so far all ive seen is Iron Maiden, but they were great. Bruce Dickinson was running all around the stage and shining lights and ****, and Steve Harris was throwing his bass in the air and playing at a few parts.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
+1 To everyone who's said Iron Maiden so far; without doubt one of the best live shows 've seen.

And Dream Theater, tight as anything.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Opeth are the best i've seen for professionalism - no discernable mistakes, no problems with equipment..the only thing that went wrong was when Akerfeldt forgot to tune up again - but he still realised before they started the song, and managed to tune up while finishing his pre-song speil
Gojira.

Still the best act i've witnessed in a live setting, didn't step a foot wrong. They're one of those bands who can get through a show with presence alone.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Gojira.

Still the best act i've witnessed in a live setting, didn't step a foot wrong. They're one of those bands who can get through a show with presence alone.

They always make epic entrances as well. Blue lights filling the venue, whale sounds echoing from all directions, a hush goes over the crowd.....

dununununun DWEE dun dun dun

Ocean Planet is legendarily epic when played live. Up their with Blind Guardian.

Plus I got too see them with Behemoth. Another ace live band.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Opeth was amazing, of course, but they didn't move much at all. Behemoth was great too. I was really impressed by Finntroll too. They moved a lot and were tight as hell. And I dunno if it counts as metal here, but Born of Osiris does a great job performing well without missing a beat.

EDIT:
I really think I'm the only person on earth who does not like Gojira. At all. Boring as hell, especially live.
Cattle Decapitation play amazing shows.

As do Symphony X
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Loomis making mistakes?

HOLY SHIT FIRST BRODERICK THEN LOOMIS GOSH NEVERMORE SUCKS ASS.

anyway...

Dream Theater win this contest hands down. Despite age, they are able to play consistent 2-3 hour practically flawless sets every almost every night of a touring month. They play with fantastic energy for relatively old farts, and have as much fun with uber-technical music as one can have. Sound and lighting is fantastic, stage setup (including Mike's massive kit and Jordan's keyboard stacks) goes without a hitch 99% of the time.

...and did I forget to mention they've been known to tailor their setlists specifically for individual cities? Damn classy.

Honorable mentions:

Gojira: Fantastic and massive sound, great energy, had me captivated when previously I had barely heard any of their material.

Blind Guardian: Haven't had the pleasure of seeing them live, but they seem fantastic on all the concert vids.

Amon Amarth: Theres just something about four vikings circle-windmilling in unison that just gets your blood pumping.
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Gojira.

They were great when I saw them. Though their bassist did lose his pick in the middle of a song and it hit me in the face.

No one can compare with Behemoth live, they never miss a note, and they still have amazing energy and presence. Easily the best live band i've seen. They get better every time I see them.
Quote by The Kush
This should be put in the ****ing Bible.

Quote by Våd Hamster
You are an inspiration.

Quote by Blackwaterson89
Listen to TheBlessed Dead. The man is a genius. There should be a man of genius song about him. Stephen Hawking has nothing on TheBlessed Dead.
Is saw Annihilator live last year when they toured with Trivium and they were phenomenal. Jeff's playing was amazing and he kept smiling the whole way through and pointing to people in the crowd and he is just an awesome guy.
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Quote by flamencogod
that isn't really anything special. Something like 90 % of the time an encore has been planned beforehand...

Anyway... Death Angel really is great.

well sure it ain't completely special but the fact that they think about their fans like that makes me like them more and think of them as a better band.
and they do a good mix still of old and new, playing mistress of pain and kill as one as well as songs from killing season.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

I saw Bleeding Through, and their sound sucked. The vocals were really echoey (moreso the venue than the band), and you couldn't hear the guitars. I realize they're metalcore, but I'm counting them since they were opening for Slayer.

Speaking of which, Slayer were really tight. The vocals were still kind of echoey, but everything else was audible and spot-on. They extended the double kick-drum thingy at the end of Angel of Death, which made it even more awesome.

Most of the bands at Ozzfest this year were really tight as well. Daath, Behemoth, The Showdown, and Lamb of God were the ones that impressed the most.

I've mentioned this already in other threads, but Shadows Fall and Skeletonwitch are really good live as well.
Page 1 of 3