Hi there, I have 2 questions about wiring.

1. I have a toneport GX that I use for recording, but my stereo/pc speakers are rubbish, so would I be able to connect the line out of the toneport gx to the fx loop return on my Laney LC15r using a standard 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and run the toneport through the poweramp on my amp for monitoring when recording?

2. Back to that Laney!! I drew a rather rubbish picture for this. I want to get an attenuator for it because 15w valve is a little loud for my room. Anyway, the speaker wire goes into the amp itself, inside the metal chassis that I dont want to open! should I just not bother or can I cut them where i have on the picture with the yellow line and attach 2 1/4" jacks to either end and plug those into the attenuator?

Thanks
Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
1. Most computer speakers have a headphone jack, it should also shut off the speakers. Use it. Works great and eliminates ambient monitor noise if you record with a mic. I don't think you would be able to use the effects loop as a monitor, you would probably clutter up the signal, and you want to be monitoring the signal from the computer, AFTER it goes through amp, effects and so forth so you're hearing what's actually being recorded rather than the signal before the recording takes place. That's the idea behind monitoring your recording. You want to hear what's actually being recorded, and when dubbing another part you need to hear the original too. That's why it's called "monitor". You're monitoring the record signal, and in the case of overdubbing, the incoming signal too.

No, I'm not trying to make you look stupid, it's just a more detailed explanation than you might expect.

2. Adding jacks to the amp would be tedious, you would need female jacks on both ends to be able to use either attenuator or speaker, and mounting the output jack on the chassis is very preferable to having a wire hanging down with a heavy jack attached to it. First time it swings into the paper cone while you're carrying the amp in a vehicle (or up some stairs, or in a hurry in the rain etc) you have a hole in the speaker....not good...then you also have to add an input jack to the speaker, so either amp or attenuator can be plugged into it. Both have to be female jacks, you can't plug a standard guitar jack into another standard (male) guitar jack...so you'd also need a short speaker cable to use the internal speaker by itself. If this is a tube amp, (I didn't look it up and I'm not familiar with Laney at all) BE CAREFUL...tube amps run on deadly voltages and the capacitors inside hold a charge for several months AFTER being unplugged, it can kill you. IF you don't know how to deal with high voltage and tube amps, don't open it up. If it's solid state, it shouldn't be as big a problem, but still risky.

Adding a jack is not that hard though, if you know how to solder well and can use a multimeter to find which wire is ground.

I'd just plug in some headphones, my computer speakers sound good and I still use headphones, it eliminates ambient monitor sound bleeding into the recording mic. And I usually do mic the amp or acoustic guitar, so I want no bleedover if possible.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
thanks for the detailed response. I just wont bother trying to do either, haha.

I was a little confused by the response to question 1, but then again I am a little stupid. I have my guitar plugged directly into the toneport, and get the sound from the gearbox software, so no amp is used. I then want to be able to listen to this sound but have rubbish speakers, so all I want is to know whether it would break my amp to hook the toneport up to the amp using the fx return as my amp has a better speaker than my stereo! i shouldnt have used words like monitoring, sorry...

say for example if i wasnt recording, if i was just getting my sound from something like gearbox or guitar rig, could i plug the line out of the computer into the amp or is the signal different and damaging? thanks