So I've got $700-800 Australian to spend. I talked to my friends and they suggested a new guitar (just a new guitar). I have a $40 30W practice amp and a $50 copy-strat. Yes I realised how stupid I was from the last thread for suggesting a 4x12 cab and I will never do it again :P and I will stop dissing Ashton after realising they are probably the most affordable of all of the brands here in Australia.

I'm open to all suggestions which remain in the price range (ok maybe $100 over the budget but be realistic). Remember, stuff here in Australia is a lot more expensive than what it is over in America (sometimes even double the price, even when the exchange rate is almost on par with Australia's).

As for the kind of play: I'm the rhythm guitarist for our band and we play mostly metal (Black Sabbath) with some classical rock (ZZ Top? ).
choose an amp in a music store (make sure you choose a tube amp) then go on ebay and buy one second hand.
Quote by devilscruffs14
once i banged a 5 year old chick, i love banging older women.

HAHA
Quote by psss
dont spend it, id just keep saving till you have about $1200 - $1400. but it is up to you, if you get a amp id say get a randall combo of some sort, there cheap and fairly good. dont just go on my opinion though

I've got school holidays coming up in April which means a chance to earn some cash doing some work at Bunnings or something(parents won't let me work when I've got school - they think school is more important and it is to me because I want to go to Uni).
you should decide what is worse: the timbre of you sh!tty amp or the playability of your sh!tty guitar.

you will probably want to upgrade both so if i was in your position again, i would buy a decent used guitar first. bring a friend who knows the difference between a nice used guitar and a nice-looking used guitar.

then while i was filling up my bank account again, i would be bringing my nice guitar to every guitar shop i could, trying out all the amps. then after you decide what you will be buying figure out how youre going to buy it: ebay, craigslist, retail, etc.

check out roland cube amps, vox, and mesa boogie.
I would usually say go for a guitar, but seeming as you're in a band a practise amp isn't really going to cut it so go for an amp.

What kind of amp do you have that was $40?!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
you realy should buy a tube amp maybe a peavey VK 112 (i think the 212 is over your budget, but if you can go for that one) and maybe an epi SG ,i think it's called the SG special but i dont know, it's a great guitar for only 140eu (i don't know how much that is in australian dollars)

grtz
Quote by Chex
I would usually say go for a guitar, but seeming as you're in a band a practise amp isn't really going to cut it so go for an amp.

What kind of amp do you have that was $40?!

eBay practice amp :P
Quote by henis
you realy should buy a tube amp maybe a peavey VK 112 (i think the 212 is over your budget, but if you can go for that one) and maybe an epi SG ,i think it's called the SG special but i dont know, it's a great guitar for only 140eu (i don't know how much that is in australian dollars)

grtz

Unfortunately, Peavey Valveking 112 is very expensive. $995.

As for the Epi SG, I spy with my little eye: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EPIPHONE-SG-G-400-GUITAR-w-STRAP-LOCKS-HARDCASE-gibson_W0QQitemZ120231286119QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for $440 including shipping.
in your case i would probably get the guitar first, playability is probably going to be more important at this stage than tone.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Tr0janV0dka
Unfortunately, Peavey Valveking 112 is very expensive. $995.

As for the Epi SG, I spy with my little eye: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EPIPHONE-SG-G-400-GUITAR-w-STRAP-LOCKS-HARDCASE-gibson_W0QQitemZ120231286119QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for $440 including shipping.

thats a shame about the VK, but couldn't you buy a australian brand, i can't really come up with one but i'm shure they have some good brands,
the epi is theway to go, buy that one, also nice case!
and indeed, you chould go for a guitar first!