you know how when you talk and when you hear your voice recorded, they sound different to you?

for example, when i talk my voice sounds like a normal blokes voice, but when i hear it recorded on a video camera or something it sounds really gravelly, like if lemmy choked on gravel and developed an aussie accent.

so i asked all my mates about how they hear their voices in recordings and all that, it bugs them as well. so i was wondering if any UGers knew the answer to the question; which way does your voice actually sound? the way it is in recordings, or the way you hear it?

also, if there's any identical twins out there, to you, does your voice sound different to your twins?

cheers.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
I sound like a gay James Earl Jones when I hear my voice on recording

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Try getting a better camera, or recording device?
ESP: LTD EC-50
Crate GTD65 Amp
RP80 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jack White:
If you think holdin' hands is all in the fingers
Grab a hold of the soul where the memory lingers.
I'd have to say it sounds more like the recorded voice.

Because when you hear yourself talking, does the sound not travel more along your bones and and such into your ears? And when someone else is listening to you, of course the sound travels aerially.

Meh, I suck at explaining things in English.

I think my voice sounds normal, but others describe it as very low and gravely.
yeah same...+ when i hear other people on the same recordings they still sound the same, but i sound drastically different.

funny thing though, one of my mates has a relatively average voice...he always described it as deep, and said that his voice was way deeper than mine. later on, my mum was saying how deep my voice was, and as a comparison said that it made my mate sound like a girl

so i guess it would be the recordings then.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
my mate said something to me about it, that you hear every decibel in your ears because their closer to you to what they sound to other people.

but ive not got a clue.
i have the same problem though (Y)
Nathy
My voice has the... "tone" of a drunken slur, except for the slurring, if that makes any sense. At least that is the way I'd describe it And this is while talking (my voice sounds fine in my head), when I sing it sounds the same all the time though so I know how it sounds
I actually like my voice better(still dont love it) in recordings. Also I think a mic makes my voice sound better. But yea its the voice you hear in recordings that is your real voice just some recording utensils dont pick up sound too well so your voice coudl sound really thin and weak.
Your real voice is the way it sounds when you record yourself talking. That's how people hear it.

The difference is usually simply because when you talk, your voice echoes inside your own head. It's more reverby, and sounds totally different. Usually, it sounds deeper than it actually is.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']I'd have to say it sounds more like the recorded voice.

Because when you hear yourself talking, does the sound not travel more along your bones and and such into your ears? And when someone else is listening to you, of course the sound travels aerially.

Meh, I suck at explaining things in English.

I think my voice sounds normal, but others describe it as very low and gravely.

I think that is the reason. Or your mic sucks.
When we record stuff with camera in school I sound really weird. But then when I listen, I notice that all my friends sound the same like they always do.

What you hear and what they hear are different things.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
My "voice" isn't my real voice. I decided when I was about 14 that I didn't like my voice, and decided that I was going to speak alot clearer and more attractively with a less prominent london accent since. Now (at age 17) my natural voice is the one I developed.

It also helped my singing something fierce. I maintain that 90% of singing is just making your voice sound nice. You don't need to be able to sing to sound good.

EDIT: There are numerous celebrities or singers that I believe did the same thing. For example, Bob Dylan's voice changed dramatically when his musical influences changed. Also, there is no way Pete Doherty's voice is natural. He puts it on, i'm certain - in a couple of clips when he was younger he sounds alot lower in tone and, well, not as pleasing to the ear.

My point? If you don't like your voice, change it.
Last edited by skagitup at Mar 10, 2008,