so Which one is the best?
They both dont have as much latency as USB.

i have a pci echo layla and it has zero latency but i cant record with all inputs at the same time.

And they say firewire can record all inputs at the same time.Is this true?
The fact that it's PCI or Firewire has nothing to do with how many inputs you can record at a time.

The biggest advantage PCI has, is that it's faster and cheaper. I've never seen the input limit on a PCI card.

The biggest advantage Firewire has is mobility. If you have a laptop and record on the go that's the format for you.

Typically you can get more "inputs at a time" for your money with PCI. For example The M-Audio Delta 44 (PCI) has 4 analog inputs. You can record all 4 simultaneously. It costs $150 (plus you'll need a preamp for your mics). I don't think your going to be able to find a firewire interface that has 4 analog inputs for near that price.

Anyways, if your studio doesn't go with you go for a good PCI based solution. If you travelling go firewire.

Also stay away from the Echo Layla....

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
PCI is still the faster format between the two, but it requires actually opening up the computer to install it. With firewire, it is almost as fast (and really very, very good), but adds the convenience of being able to just plug it in.

I'm not familiar with the Echo series of cards aside from simply being aware of them, but any PCI card I've ever had (a Midiman D-Man PCI, a Delta 44, and now a Delta1010) has always been able to record more than one track at a time. My 1010 records ten tracks at a time. Very low latency, and very good quality.

Your problem with the Layla might be in your software settings, I would guess.

With USB, the problem isn't as much latency, but the fact that you are limited to recording a maximum of two mono channels, or one stereo track at a time.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
OK so how much and how do i get all of them to record at the same time? where do i go?

why stay away from echo?
Quote by Pinche_Oso
OK so how much and how do i get all of them to record at the same time? where do i go?

why stay away from echo?

In (a generic) summary. You'll need to point each track you want to record to an individual input on your interface. For example, you have a 4 analog input interface, and you want to record 4 mono tracks. Open your software and add the 4 mono tracks. Then point the 1st track to input 1, the second track to input 2 etc. Then arm all 4 tracks for recording. Hit the record button and play.

EDIT: What software are you using?

EDIT2: I'm assuming that you have the original Layla that debuted about 7 or 8 years ago. I somehow got out of your original post that you were wanting to buy a Layla. My bad....
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Mar 10, 2008,
its a layla 24.
alright..well i have sony acid and reaper. But now..its not reading the inputs.
No noisE?
What OS are you running and do you have the latest drivers for the layla?

EDIT: Also try rebooting?
Made up statistic