im in the market for a tube amp right now, cuz my line 6 isn't really givin me the tone i want. However, im goin to college in the fall, n i want something small enough for me to fit in my dorm and thats pretty portable. is it worth it to get a small tube combo, or would it be better to just bring my line 6 to college with me?
ps by small i mean like one o the 50W ones, not one o the like 5W practice amps
just bring your spider, you wont be able to get good distortion from a 50 watt tube amp in a dorm. Actually you wouldn't even be able to get cranked distortion from a 5 watt tube amp in a dorm.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
you could make a 10 or 15W tube amp sounds MASSIVELY loud in a dorm room. 50W tube is what i use on stage, and i can only turn it up halfway

unless you're thinking of one of those tube/solid-state hybrid amps, in which, case, get something that's at least 30W
fender blues jr. or blues deluxe. ones 15 watts and ones 40 watts, they're probably both too loud for the dorm but they are kick ass amps. (just don't turn it up that loud) I have the deluxe and run a landmine ld-1 distortion through it and it just has an amazing tones....best cleans ever also.
I second the keep your amp you have now. My twin only has two tubes right now so its running at about 42 watts and I hardly ever turn it up above the three, turning it up to 7 is almost unbearable in my bassment.
You better check for sure that you can even have an amp in the dorm. I know most university dorms don't allow an amp of any size (so you might have to smuggle a little one in).
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Here's a thought.....the Traynor YCS100 has a headphone out and doesn't require a speaker load when the headphone out is used. Therefore you can keep a cab at home or at a practice space, and just take the head to your dorm with you as necessary. It's a very versatile 3 channel to boot.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by PekarGuitar
You better check for sure that you can even have an amp in the dorm. I know most university dorms don't allow an amp of any size (so you might have to smuggle a little one in).

uhh what? from my experience most colleges don't care unless you are making too much noise. as a matter in fact when looking at colleges and knowing people that go to several different ones I have never heard of them not allowing amps in the dorm. Obviously you aren't allowed to turn the up very loud or in some cases even use them but you can have them.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
uhh what? from my experience most colleges don't care unless you are making too much noise. as a matter in fact when looking at colleges and knowing people that go to several different ones I have never heard of them not allowing amps in the dorm. Obviously you aren't allowed to turn the up very loud or in some cases even use them but you can have them.

Well my college and colleges that my friends go to must be Noise Nazis
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Quote by PekarGuitar
Well my college and colleges that my friends go to must be Noise Nazis

I would assume so, most dorms are really lenient on what you can have in the dorm unless it's either illegal or a safety hazard.

Last.fm
Quote by metallax57
im in the market for a tube amp right now, cuz my line 6 isn't really givin me the tone i want. However, im goin to college in the fall, n i want something small enough for me to fit in my dorm and thats pretty portable. is it worth it to get a small tube combo, or would it be better to just bring my line 6 to college with me?
Quote by metallax57
ps by small i mean like one o the 50W ones, not one o the like 5W practice amps

anyone see the contradiction here?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
If you're just looking for something for your dorm room, I'd suggest a Microcube. If you're hoping to jam/gig up at school, a tube combo might be a better plan.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I had a 130W combo amp in my dorm room. I mostly just used it as a PA system to run my CD player through (my 386 25 MHz computer didn't run MP3s very well).

However, if you are trying to keep things quiet I would recommend getting something a little less powerful than a 50W combo amp.

Actually I would ditch the electric and get an accoustic...once you get to college you will understand why!
ah, playing the acoustic in the college dorm. brings all the ladies to your room. even works in an all guys dorm. if they are anywhere in the hall and you are playing something they recognize, BAM! they are in your room.

if you want to play electric, either keep the amp you have now or go for something that is headphone usable. i had a small SS practice amp in my dorm and almost never used it. i mostly played into my computer and then to headphones. ive got a 5w tube amp in my appartment now and i cant really crank it (unless im drunk and dont care about the neighbors). so really, 50w tube or even 50w SS is overkill for a dorm unless you want them to hear you on every floor (which will get you a noise violation). so go for something small and get that nice amp later when you are playing shows/have room to spare.