So I did something stupid.....For the last 4 months I have used an instrument cable to link my 6505+ head to my marshall 1960AV cab, I just now found out...you have to use a SPEAKER CABLE....so yes i am an idiot. Last night as I was playing, everytime I strummed on my guitar, I heard what I played, followed by a crackling noise, similar to the sound old worn out volume knobs make on amps. My questions are, why am I getting this noise, how do I fix it, and could it be because of my cabeling stupidity? My rig is as follows:

guitar>boss noise gate>6505+

I've also only owned the amp for 4 months and only have played it once a week for 2 hours at my band's rehearsal studio.

Thanks UG!

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
well first of all if you don't put your nosie gate in the fx loop it won't do nothing. If you put it after your guitar and into the amp it's not going to cut out feedback. The load from the amp to the cab is a pretty big load and bigger than an instrument cable can handle. You either fried the cable or you messed up your amp. It probably sounded like crap too. How did you not notice that your amp sounded like crap?
Quote by paranormal5150
well first of all if you don't put your nosie gate in the fx loop it won't do nothing. If you put it after your guitar and into the amp it's not going to cut out feedback.

That's not true, I run my Decimator in front of my amp to cancel feedback and it works better there than in the loop. There was a thread on it yesterday and everyone that posted in it said they run it in the front rather than the fx loop. Not sure how it is with the NS-2 though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Try it with a speaker cable and see if that fixes it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
From what I know, there are two basic lines within both instrument and speaker cables. Instrument cables use one of the lines for signal transmission (from pups to preamp) and the other line for shielding. Speaker cables do not need shielding because the signal is at line level, but they do use the other line for signal transmission (as it is much larger than the pup signal).

Go buy a speaker cable and pray nothing is screwed up.
"If you tell anybody about these trees.. I WILL CUT YOU!!" - Bob Ross

Gear
Ibanez RG470 | '87 Peavey Predator LMT
Peavey 5150!! | Vader 212!! | Crate GLX65
MXR Dime Dist | Crybaby | Boss TU-80 | ISP Decimator

My Band - Under the Blade
ok....first off, running a noise gate as the last pedal into the amps input...WILL cut feedback, just not the preamp hiss. It helps cut back the wild feedback screams you would have with high output pickups and high gain. Also, I forgot to mention that I have a speaker cable now, and used it for the first time last night, and thats also the first time I heard the noise. As far as the amp sounding like crap, well it didn't. It sounded like it would normally, then as the notes fade out, I got the crackling sound.

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by New_Crisis
ok....first off, running a noise gate as the last pedal into the amps input...WILL cut feedback, just not the preamp hiss. It helps cut back the wild feedback screams you would have with high output pickups and high gain. Also, I forgot to mention that I have a speaker cable now, and used it for the first time last night, and thats also the first time I heard the noise. As far as the amp sounding like crap, well it didn't. It sounded like it would normally, then as the notes fade out, I got the crackling sound.

Tube issue? How new are the tubes on the 6505+?

Also, I would at least try putting the gate in the loop, that way it gates the pup signal AND the preamp fuzz. It's worth a shot anyways...
"If you tell anybody about these trees.. I WILL CUT YOU!!" - Bob Ross

Gear
Ibanez RG470 | '87 Peavey Predator LMT
Peavey 5150!! | Vader 212!! | Crate GLX65
MXR Dime Dist | Crybaby | Boss TU-80 | ISP Decimator

My Band - Under the Blade
my tubes are only 4 months old as i had bought the amp new. is it possible that i ruined the tubes by using the wrong kind of cable to connect my head and cab?

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
I don't think that would ruin tubes. If there's something wrong with it, just take it back and don't tell them you used the wrong cable, it should still be under warrenty.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I bet you could potentially screw up a power tube in that scenario. If you think about it logically, instrument cable is a very thin core conductor surrounded by shielding. It's meant to carry very low level signals. Speaker cable on the other hand, is a thick wire for carrying high currents. There is going to be more impedance in an instrument cable just on size alone, as less current can flow through it. There is a potential impedance mismatch there if the difference was significant.

Normally I would assume a preamp tube is going bad though with crackling. Does going into and out of standby fix it? I assume you've also ruled out a problem with the guitar wiring, or instrument cable you are using from guitar to amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
yeah...It definately isn't my guitar or cable, as I've been using the same ones for at least a month and had no issues. The problem only showed up when I switched over to using a speaker cable for the first time.

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack