I can't get this down. If my right hand goes too fast, my left hand is too slow and the other way round. I simply can't get it to fit. Is this problem going to be solved with just practise or am I simply doing anything wrong?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93
I can't get this down. If my right hand goes too fast, my left hand is too slow and the other way round. I simply can't get it to fit. Is this problem going to be solved with just practise or am I simply doing anything wrong?

My .02:

Start with a limited number of notes, say like 6. No need to alt pick all over the neck if your struggling with it. Practice that until you can do it perfectly at any speed. If you started by playing all down strokes and now you realize this fault and trying to correct it you'll need to focus to break that bad habit. Try playing what you know but with all upstrokes and / or 3-4 downstrokes then upstrokes. It needs to become instinct.

Practice slow and delibrate in time with a metronome for like 10-15 minutes a day strict. Then have a normal practice session but focus on picking technique constantly.
Quote by fila_93

try it slowly and then graduate your spped prefbly with a metronome but you can do it without one.
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused
I don't got a metronome... Got a drum machine on my zoom though.

I read somewhere on this forum that someone leanred to alternate pick by play pentatonic scale. First he played each note 4 times on the scale, then 2 and then 1. Is this good practise?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
A good method for practising alternate picking is to do steady 8th notes at a comfortable speed and then do bursts of 16ths every few seconds. Not only is it more "musical", in that you practise switching between different speeds of picking but you're less likely to injure yourself.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there's more to picking than speed. Dynamics, and the ability to accent different notes are important. For example try accenting the 4th note in 3 note per string scales, or if you're into the weird sounding stuff alla Shawn Lane then go for groupings of 5/7/9/11 etc.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
But hey, how I am supposed to hold the pick? Just ike usual as when I do downstrokes, or should I turn the pick 90 degrees? Bad explanation but I hope you understand, maybe someone could upload a photo?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Go at your own pace, and soon youll get it down. take your time too, theres no rush ^^
Okay, but hey, can you answer my latest question?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube