Hey guys, first post here.

I have been playing for over a year now, and I own a Jackson JS30WR (thats a Warrior shape for those who don't know), and I play it through a Marshall MG15DFX. By now, I've tired of the mediocre effects my amp provides, so I want to get an effects processor.

These are my 3 options:

http://www.bajaao.com/digitech-rp200a-guitar-multieffects-processor-with-free-case-p-3545.html?manufacturers_id=41
This one is for USD 177

http://www.bajaao.com/digitech-2007-series-rp250-multieffects-guitar-processor-p-4445.html?manufacturers_id=41
For USD 244

and http://www.bajaao.com/digitech-rp300a-guitar-multieffects-processor-with-free-case-p-3546.html?manufacturers_id=41
for USD 231

First, I should say that the RP200A is within my budget comfortably, and my parents will agree without question.

I was wondering why the RP300 costs less than the RP250, and if it was worth requesting my parents to get it. I guess if it is significantly better than the RP200, my parents will be convinced. Can someone please tell me what I would be missing out on if I get the 200 rather than the 300, and if should get it.
Last edited by mrinal24 at Mar 10, 2008,
ok , but can you please tell me what is it about the 250 that makes it more expensive than the 300 (which should logically be higher end), and why exactly you recommend it?
The 250 has the newer more powerful AudioDNA2 chip vs the AudioDNA in the 300A. The 250 has a USB port. I believe you can configure presets and record thru the USB. I would choose the 250 way over the 300A. I sold a used 300A for $100 over a year ago. They are not worth more than $75 now. I was recently offered a used 250 in trade for and FCB1010 I was asking a $100 for. If I needed another FX unit I would have done it. Definitly opt for the 250. The computer programming and record function alone is worth it. And I understand that the AudioDNA2 sounds much better than the AudioDNA, and is a significantly more powerful ( at least 2x) processor.
I've got the 300a and am not that impressed. It was a gift so no big deal. The 250 does have a better processor, but don't know if it sounds that much better. Try before you buy.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Thanks for all the opinions guys. So it seems clear that the RP250 is the winner, but convincing my parents to shell out 67 dollars is not going to be easy. One more question. I'm pretty much beginner-intermediate level. My question really is: Is the 250 a sound enough investment that will last me 2-3 years at least, as my playing advances? If yes, then I'll try and plead. If no, then I'll probably go for the 200A which will probably need an upgrade not to far down the line. I hope you understand what I'm asking. Basically, will the 250 be enough to satisfy me even 2-3 years down the line, in which case it will have been 67 extra bucks well spent.

Thanks a million!
WHOAH SLOOOOOW DOWN! Why are you instantly jumping to get a new multi-efx processor. Why do you need efx? What kind of music are you're playing, why arent you investing a in a better amplifier? Do you plan to play with a band, or just do music as a hobby?
You'd probably benefit more from getting a better amp.

That said, RP250.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
The fact that you can edit and save presets through your computer is going to make the RP250 a much more valuable pedal. Getting good sounds out of these pedals is a lot of work. And being able to backup a good setting when you get it is important. The pedal is last you much longer if you get the Rp250 vs th Rp200. And you will be much happier in the long run.
Quote by fly135
The fact that you can edit and save presets through your computer is going to make the RP250 a much more valuable pedal. Getting good sounds out of these pedals is a lot of work. And being able to backup a good setting when you get it is important. The pedal is last you much longer if you get the Rp250 vs th Rp200. And you will be much happier in the long run.

Yes but if you want tone that sounds pure, warm, and full and not some digitally processed thing, than you will want a nice tube amplifier. That will make your sound better and perhaps even force you to play cleaner. Besides, most amps are mic'd in REAL recording.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Yes but if you want tone that sounds pure, warm, and full and not some digitally processed thing, than you will want a nice tube amplifier. That will make your sound better and perhaps even force you to play cleaner. Besides, most amps are mic'd in REAL recording.
This isn't even an issue for a beginner. You can actually play this thru a stereo and it will sound fine if you set up the cab models and eq. Most multifx units can be recorded directly into the computer and sound great if set up correctly. It will sound better through a tube amp but his budget doesn't even begin to allow that.

Given a choice between a 5W tube amp and no FX unit, or an FX unit and no tube amp I would choose the FX unit. That presumes he wants to experiment and include FX into his playing. The Rp250 will give him far more versatility in his playing than an amp. The aversion to multifx units for beginners is IMO misguided. The only thing that's going to make you sound good is experience and practice. Buying a tube amp won't do it anymore than buying separate pedals. As you improve your skills you can improve your equipment.