Page 1 of 2
Another one perhaps?

Every now and again, i have a piece of wood that either looks cool and i get a vibe from it, or i just get an itch to built something that I've been thinking about for a while.

I had some Tasmanian Blackwood stashed away, and figured I should build something with it. I scarf jointed up the neck blank a couple years ago, but only because i wanted a few spares whilst I was doing some customer guitars. I rediscovered the neck blank, matched it to the body wood, and decided it was time to build an explorer.

Because this one isnt for a client who has pre-ordered a guitar, it is actually for sale. Its rare that i have guitars being built (or even finished ones) that aren't pre-sold, so I get to choose the options I want. Im not in a band, and i hardly play guitar any more, so I'm only really building this one for the fun of it. Hopefully someone will fall in love with it, and snatch it up. Until that day comes, it will be used as a 'sample' guitar in the workshop.

Body glued and machined

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Tasmanian Blackwood has a tone very similar to Hawaiian Koa, in fact its related. The grain can be quite striking, and sometimes features flamed patterns similar to maple. This one isn't flamed, but it has some very very nice colours. Neck is quartersawn, body flat sawn to expose the grain.

PRS and Fender have been buying up this timber by the container load. Expect to see it as the new 'exotic' in a year or two once their marketing machines get up to speed.

Sorry, blurry photo

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
The only problem with building a guitar that doesnt have an owner, is i dont take as many photos

Humbuckers and set neck joint cut. Passed the usual dry joint tests, so its ready to glue in.

Need to shape it first! Going with a thinner profile. Not too thin, those Ibanez's cause a lot of carpal tunnel syndrome and tendon complaints. Not to mention loss of tone! I modelled the neck off my favourite 'speed' shape, the San Dimas era Jacksons.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Looks great.
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
oooooh (EDIT: PWNED.)

this is a beauty, perry, I'm always impressed by your craftsmanship.

I think you should do some special inlays, (since this isn't a custom) something really intricate across the body, and have it as an "art" model...

maybe like... a waterfall or something? I remember seeing a couple bodies with a full-scale inlay job, and it just blew me away.

you'd definitely be able to pull that off, and I'm sure it'd sell in seconds!
------

Shwiggity.
Neck set in, and bridge located. Going with a string through on this one. Scale length is 25". Ebony fretboard with plain old mother of pearl dots. Nice and simple!

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
damn that looks good
Quote by FunkasPuck
i swear, we are like the small gloucestershire village of the internet: we try god bless us, but we are about 5 years behind the rest of the world.
Quote by deftonesordie

you'd definitely be able to pull that off, and I'm sure it'd sell in seconds!

Nah, if i spend too much time on arty farty guitars, and not enough on my customers orders (some who wait more than 2 years), then they tend to get upset. I wanted something easy and simple, something i can knock up when i have a spare few hours here and there. In fact, i havent worked on this guitar since september 07. I wanted to get it ready so i had something to work on while i wait for the paint to dry on some flying V's for some US clients that are about to be painted.

Control cavity. Shielded. After this photo, i decided the small section of lifted grain that tore out when the router was cutting the rebate, wasnt good enough. I made the cavity slightly bigger, re-rebated, and re-shielded. The cover would have hidden it, but i would know its there. If i know its there, it will bug me. So, i recut it. Now i can sleep at night

Machineheads will be Gotohs

Ready for final fretwork, then final sanding. Should go to paint this week, along with:
Andy's Explorer! Andy came in today to tell me he needs two more guitars, and i have to finish off his Explorer in the next three weeks so they can use it on their new album. Ok!

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Nice work Perry!

I was wondering though, how long does it take you on average to build a guitar?

Oh, and also, do you have any tips on where to obtain a truss rod?

Thanks
Last edited by zwound at Mar 10, 2008,
Quote by zwound
Nice work Perry!

I was wondering though, how long does it take you on average to build a guitar?

Thanks

Clients wait 6-24 months, depending on the type of guitar, their budget, and my repair workload. I do repairs for a lot of the main music stores, plus im the warranty guy for most of the brands imported into Australia. Add on the articles for Aust Guitar Mag, guitar building courses, and guitar tech work for touring bands, and Im pretty busy. Not to mention i spend at least eight hours a week just on the phone, talking to suppliers/clients/stores. Its frustrating, because i just want to build!

Guitars take somewhere from 20-150 hours (spread out over weeks or months), depending on the complexity of the design, and if i am doing similar guitars at the same time (less setting up of tools and machinery).

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Looks nice!

I have a question, where did you find out information on how to shape a neck profile to San Dimas Charvel specs?

Easy, you just have to own a San Dimas era Rhoads, and make sure you shape the explorer neck the same

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Stunning, shame about the control cavity, and by shame I mean its a shame that you have got to the point where every little detail has to be perfect on a guitar thats mearly a test/sample Just goes to show the quality levels through out your work.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It's actually great to know that something like the rebating on your guitars would keep you up at night. probably one of the least of any owners worries about a guitar lol.

+1 to this thread (any ormsby thread is a great)
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Subscribed.

Love these Ormsby builds
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
im liking it
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by jm1681
Subscribed.

Love these Ormsby builds

+1
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by ormsby guitars
It is easy!

If it was that easy, you'd be out of the job by now.
So about how much do you usually charge for your guitars? What's the profit in it? Do you make accoustics too? What brand pickups and such do you use? Where did you learn to build guitars? Do you make Bass?

I'm feeling inquisitive today.
Quote by Tone Deaf

So about how much do you usually charge for your guitars?
What's the profit in it?
Do you make accoustics too?
What brand pickups and such do you use?
Where did you learn to build guitars?
Do you make Bass?

Between $2000-5000 Aussie dollars.
Why?
No
Whatever you like, as long as they are decent.
Self taught
Yes

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by Tone Deaf
So about how much do you usually charge for your guitars? What's the profit in it? Do you make accoustics too? What brand pickups and such do you use? Where did you learn to build guitars? Do you make Bass?

he made THE most metal bass in the history of bass guitars!!!
To Just17n8: I'm a newb. You have to make allowances for incredibly stupid questions.

To Ormsby:
Between $2000-5000 Aussie dollars.
Why?
No
Whatever you like, as long as they are decent.
Self taught
Yes

Holy Crap o___o;
Cause I wanted to know how much it cost you to build these things using the high quality materials that you do, and how cost effective it is.
Kinda figured. They seem way more involved.
I have no idea what I like Suggestions on decent ones? CHEAP decent ones?
Amazing.
Bass are made of win, awesome, and cake. Cake happens to be made of awesome as well, so you have a 2 Awesome-1 Win ration going

Can I see pics of this most metal bass ever? Links?
*scratches chin* I suppose I can agree with that metal comment made earlier. The inlay makes me search for tissues, and the body is gorgeous. 5 strings are even more win

SO! Ever thought of venturing into the realms of electric Ukuleles? XD
Quote by Tone Deaf
To Just17n8: I'm a newb. You have to make allowances for incredibly stupid questions.

i didnt mean to sound like a flame... sorry bout that... take it like a very entusiast affirmation!
Quote by Zofar
If it was that easy, you'd be out of the job by now.

Agreed. Every time I've ever tried to build a guitar, I always ended up basically wasting my money.
I didn't take it as a flame :3

I was just making a joke since I'm new to UG and music in general, I obviously had no idea what all was going on. Plus, it's true. You DO have to overlook the occasional stupid remark by a newb.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Invader Jim
Agreed. Every time I've ever tried to build a guitar, I always ended up basically wasting my money.

Someone once described my guitar playing, as like giving a three year old paper and scissors. Its always gunna be messy, and someone will probably start crying!

Lucky i enjoy building more than playing

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by ormsby guitars
Someone once described my guitar playing, as like giving a three year old paper and scissors. Its always gunna be messy, and someone will probably start crying!

Lucky i enjoy building more than playing

*has a 3year old neese from hell who loves cutting paper....* I know this expression very well, as I have lived it. Good example man.
First coat. Mmmmmm sweet grain

Whoever gets this one, is going to be one lucky guitarist

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
There isn't really anything I can say that hasn't been said before. Looks really good.
I really like the look of that blackwood.

edit: I posted before I saw the pics with finish on it.

I really really like the look of that blackwood
Page 1 of 2