I have a Schecter C-1 Artist Left Handed. For some reason every time I play in drop D it sounds horrendous!! All tabs that I have in Drop D sound MUCH better in standard tuning. Obviously, this question has LOTS of answers so heres the catch. When a buddy of mine comes over my house to jam, I tune my 6th string (low E) to the D that sounds out of his 6th string. I play a Drop D song and it sounds flawless when my Boss TU-2 tuner is reading a very flat D. What can that be?

Thanks in advance UG!!
are you using the tuner properly? Drop D is 2 semitones below standard (aka 2 flats) so are you sure you're not tuning it to 1 semitone below (1 flat) which would be Eb (which yes, would sound like ass if the rest of the guitar is tuned standard)? This is why chromatic tuners are nice, and learning to tune by ear is even nicer.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Sounds like your strings need a change, and maybe the batteries in your tuner.
Im not sure man, try your friends tuner and always check each string when you change tunings of even just one string. And Try thicker guage strings man! i use 10-52 Dadarrio Pro Steels (best strings out there and best guage)
Quote by onemanarmy9
are you using the tuner properly? Drop D is 2 semitones below standard (aka 2 flats) so are you sure you're not tuning it to 1 semitone below (1 flat) which would be Eb (which yes, would sound like ass if the rest of the guitar is tuned standard)? This is why chromatic tuners are nice, and learning to tune by ear is even nicer.

Yea I understand that but I am 100% sure I am tuning it to a D and not a D#/Eb. But like I said, the tuner is showing more of a Db/C# over anything else.
It's easy to tune to Drop D even if you can't really tune by ear very well... just play an open power chord (0-0-0) while detuning the "low-E" until it sounds right.
mmmk.
^or he could play the low E at fret 12 and the D open until they sound the same, that works too:P. Also, are you sure the rest of your stings are tuned standardly, cause if it's tuning to Db and sounding right, it's entire possible the guitar is tuned to Eb normally not E. Don't know why I didn't ask that earlier
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
drop D is really easy to tune to, just play your open D string and tune your E to that. When you want to go back to E i usually just play 7th fret on the A and tune to that.

you can hear the two sounds bouncing off each other, and when they seem to be in unison then you have tuned it correctly.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
I've heard Boss tuners will act off if you use the wrong power supply or if the battery is weak.
Quote by Danno13
Is your tuner set to 440?

Yeah, check this. I've seen it before. People telling me my GT8 tuner is off goddamnit, while their sh1tty Yamaha tuner is calibrated wrongly.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Hi everyone!

I just found my problem. Going from E, I detuned to D on my tuner. Then tested the note on another tuner and got a D #er than its supposed to be and tuned it. I checked my tuner and it still read an D natural. So the problem I found is that when detuning from E. It falls to D, then you would expect it to go to C which would seem normal in a chromatic tuner. But instead it goes right back to D again.

Any experienced users with a Boss TU-2? Is it a problem or just a setting that maybe it's setting it to a D#?

Thanks again for all the repliers!!
You have it set to 1 sharp or something. One of the buttons will set it back to normal. On my ibanez tuner there was a flat sign in the right hand corner when ia ccidently hit some random buttons and then i hit some more and got rid of that sign.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
tune it to your 4th D string when the notes sound the same you are good, and get a new tuner
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.