Hey guys, i ve got my ESP LTD EC-50, with the stock pickups, but I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for new pickups if I wanted to play more of a Symphony X style - Metal at times, but with the ability to switch into a nice, soft, harmony. i've got a KORG multipedal, as well as a ZOOM multipedal. My amp is an extremely old Crate blues amp, though I'm not sure of the actual model. However, I do plan on getting a Marshall half stack at one point or another.

Any suggestions?
emg 81 and 85
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
mate, emgs or seymours are the way forward, but as far as the half stack goes, forget it. why bother? marshall suck these days, you're paying for the name. plus, you dont need a halfstack. get a twin combo, like a peavey valveking 212. much better than anything marshall has to offer, cheaper too. (except the JCM800, that is about the only marshall you should ever buy. )
Don't immedialty get new pups. It is much wiser to save for a new amplifier. Amps are about 70% of your tone. For what you are playing, a mesa sounds preety good. Probably an F-30 or F-50. I've seen used F-30s go for like 700. Maybe try selling some of the gear you do not need.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Your amp really isn't suited for metal at all. Changing pickups won't help you.

Ive actually played a small show on the amp I've got now. The pedals do most of the tone work that the amp can't get.
No, what you don't understand is that changing pickups is only really for tweaking your tone. Pickups are a small part of your tone. If you aren't getting the tone you want, your pickups are most likely NOT the problem.

Besides, what's the point in changing your pickups is most of your tone is coming from those sub par multi-effects pedals? It's not going to make a significant difference.

BTW, if that Marshall halfstack you have in mind is a MG, forget it.
Quote by jono_666
mate, emgs or seymours are the way forward, but as far as the half stack goes, forget it. why bother? marshall suck these days, you're paying for the name. plus, you dont need a halfstack. get a twin combo, like a peavey valveking 212. much better than anything marshall has to offer, cheaper too. (except the JCM800, that is about the only marshall you should ever buy. )

That'll work, but I kinda forgot to mention that I have a talkbox that I can't use unless I have a half stack.
Pickups won't really do much. Even if you don't want to hear it, you really need a new amp. I have to agree with the Peavey VK 212 suggestion. Save up for it if you need to, but it will improve your tone 487390218902734 times better than a new set of pickups.

And is it one of the new EC-50s that use basswood, or is this an older one which uses agathis? If the former, then AFTER you get a new amp, go ahead and treat yourself to some DiMarzios of your choice, such as Breeds, Evos, X2N, D-Activators... etc. If the latter, then AFTER you get a new amp, you should probably just get a whole new guitar.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by Dizzy772
That'll work, but I kinda forgot to mention that I have a talkbox that I can't use unless I have a half stack.

you can use a talk box with a combo. If you mean you will need another cabinet, you won't be able to use the talkbox in the first place. Most combos now-adays also have a speaker out anyways...
Quote by Highwaytohell
you can use a talk box with a combo. If you mean you will need another cabinet, you won't be able to use the talkbox in the first place. Most combos now-adays also have a speaker out anyways...

he probably has the dunlop talkbox...which if im not mistaken can only be plugged in between a head and a cab
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Highwaytohell

explain the way to hook up the talkbox to a combo for me, because the only way I know of doing it is by replacing the cable between the head and cabinet with the talkbox.
Quote by Otsugua713
he probably has the dunlop talkbox...which if im not mistaken can only be plugged in between a head and a cab

no, I've got the Heil
Quote by mafropetee
Pickups won't really do much. Even if you don't want to hear it, you really need a new amp. I have to agree with the Peavey VK 212 suggestion. Save up for it if you need to, but it will improve your tone 487390218902734 times better than a new set of pickups.

And is it one of the new EC-50s that use basswood, or is this an older one which uses agathis? If the former, then AFTER you get a new amp, go ahead and treat yourself to some DiMarzios of your choice, such as Breeds, Evos, X2N, D-Activators... etc. If the latter, then AFTER you get a new amp, you should probably just get a whole new guitar.

I'm pretty sure its a basswood
Quote by Dizzy772
no, I've got the Heil

and who makes the heil talkbox?...yes, dunlop...
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Otsugua713

lol oh yeah.

EDIT: In that case, does anyone have any suggestions as to what half stack to buy?

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, should I just go ahead and sell the damn talkbox? I'll honestly use it maybe once or twice, and if there comes a time when I actually need one for more than one song, I'll just buy a Goldenthroat, or a Framptone if I can find one.
Last edited by Dizzy772 at Mar 10, 2008,
Quote by Otsugua713

Yeah... That's what I was thinking.
but, new amp.
Pickups are ONLY for tweaking your tone (unless you're going from like vintage output singlecoils to high output humbuckers, then it'll make a difference).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Easy, you just connect the Talkbox between the amp's speaker out and the speaker cable leading to the combo speakers, EXACTLY like a head + cab works.

And you DON'T need a halfstack, neither do you need new pickups.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Peavey 6505 head + some cab with V30's. I've been referred to Avatar for good, cheap cabs. If you can't afford that, then look for a used 5150 head on ebay or CL. You could also go for a Peavey Valve King head, but it won't get too heavy with distortion on its own, and your pedals aren't exactly amazing.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Ok, so assuming that I'm saying screw the talkbox, what Ive got is:

Peavey VK 212
EMG's / DiMarzio's AFTER amp

correct?
EDIT: can anyone suggest a good pedal? Not necessarily a multipedal, but at least something to upgrade the stuff I've got.
Last edited by Dizzy772 at Mar 10, 2008,
What kind of a pedal do you want? Depends on that tbh. Also, if you want something lighter and cheaper (more money for pups?) maybe get the 112 - if you replace the speaker (I hear the stock speakers suck), it'll be cheaper, it's lighter (you'll back will thank you) and the difference in volume isn't that big (granted 50 watts isn't as loud as 100 watts, but you won't probably need more than 50 watts even when gigging).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Also, if you do go for the Valveking, you might as well get the 1x12 combo. You won't need any more volume than the 1x12 puts out.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Also, if you do go for the Valveking, you might as well get the 1x12 combo. You won't need any more volume than the 1x12 puts out.

Is the 112 basically the same as the 212, just with less wattage?
Quote by Dizzy772
Is the 112 basically the same as the 212, just with less wattage?

I believe there was some minor difference with the knobs (the 112 has a switch for something - the 212 has a whole knob), but it was something like resonance which isn't that important I believe.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.