Everebody sais that you need a humbucker for your bridge pickup to get a good distorted metal sound. So I ask how come that a number of metal guitarists play stratocasters with single coil pickups? Could mention the Iron Maiden guitarists.

I am about to buy a guitar very soon, and I cant afford anything more than a Standard Strat (Mexican or Highway I). My preffered choice would be a Les Paul Standard but they are just way too expensive. I have a quite good amp, a Marshall, but I don't know the modell. So to list my favorite bands and the type of music I will be writing is: Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Queen and Clapton. So clean sound is almost as important as distorted.

So my guitar will have a rosewood fretboard, maple body, a floyd rose tremolo. It will probably be a strat. Any other specifics i need to know about? And what pickups do you recommend and how much do they cost?

Thx in advance
Iron Maiden are the only metal band I can think of who used single coils in the bridge. It's just not a good idea. A single coil will have a lot of background noise, and in high gain situations, that noise is amplified along with the actual signal of the guitar, making it very annoying. Humbuckers eliminate that noise for the most part, and not to mention have simply a heavier sound which is better suited to metal.

For what you play, and if you are serious about a Floyd (they can be a pain in the ass if you aren't patient), then I would suggest this. It's an amazingly versatile guitar, and should nail all of the music you want to play.

Just for curiosities sake, and to make sure you aren't being tricked by the terrible scam that is the MG, can you look into what Marshall you have?
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
1. Iron Maiden guys use single-coil sized HUMBUCKERS in their guitars, and don't really have all that heavy a sound.

2. Fat strat costs the same as a standard strat, doesn't it? Either way, I KNOW the Ibanez RG321 does.

3. If you have a Marshall and don't know the model, chances are it's an MG and therefore not, in fact, a good amp.

4. Neither the Mexican nor the H1 strat comes with a Floyd Rose tremolo.

5. Guitars come with pickups already installed.
Quote by Danno13
1. Iron Maiden guys use single-coil sized HUMBUCKERS in their guitars, and don't really have all that heavy a sound.

2. Fat strat costs the same as a standard strat, doesn't it? Either way, I KNOW the Ibanez RG321 does.

3. If you have a Marshall and don't know the model, chances are it's an MG and therefore not, in fact, a good amp.

4. Neither the Mexican nor the H1 strat comes with a Floyd Rose tremolo.

5. Guitars come with pickups already installed.

there is a fender fat strat that comes with an OFR for a few bucks more than the standard
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
There are also more guitar companies that Fender and Gibson.
If you want a versatile guitar that will cover all those styles fairly well and has a decent floating bridge then you could do a lot worse than this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S320-S-Series-Electric-Guitar?sku=512503
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com