Hey guys, this is my band, we played at Roadkill supporting Dear Superstar, heres a vid of the first song from our set. Constructive criticism is welcome. Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43j-dELz9Ag

P.S I'm the Guitarist
i thought it was ok, singer had good presence but the lyrics were uninspired and felt very repetitive. Also everyone else was just standing there and it didnt feel like they were feeling it. The guitar solo was cool but lacked feeling. my 2 cents..........
Quote by JordantheAxe
Your singer has good stage presence but looks really emo... as to the music it was good. The guitar was great and the singers voice suited the song. Overall it was really good for the style of music. Can you crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13224682#post13224682

Hes far from emo, he loves the 80s, so I guess hes glam, but not emo Lol.

I think your songs cool by the way, but you seem to be singing pretty quietly, need to put more power into you voice.

Quote by Collapsar
i thought it was ok, singer had good presence but the lyrics were uninspired and felt very repetitive. Also everyone else was just standing there and it didnt feel like they were feeling it. The guitar solo was cool but lacked feeling. my 2 cents..........

We were only standing there cause everyone was at the bar, couldn't get into the groove And how did it like feeling?
Musically I thought it rocked pretty good. I actually listened to the other vids and then some songs on your myspace page so that imo says something right there. I thought most everything was really good the only nitpics I have is the bass player REALLY needs to throw down some attitude. Problem is hes got the mohawk and pulls off a very punk look but just stands there seems odd.

I would have to check out the drummer a couple more times but overall kinda not real inspiring....again it could just be my speakers or something. Vocals were done really well he has a good stage presense.

Your guitar playing is really good, I was a bit suprised to see that you guys have been a band for a couple years. I was thinking perhaps the band was only a few months old because you didnt move around much, well actually not at all until your singer gave you a shove. I dont think you need to do backflips off the stage but perhaps some general moving around would help...I also suffer from this same thing lol. I feel like Im moving around getting into a power stance here and there and if someone tapes the show Im pretty much just standing there.

While your singer does seem a little to "glam" its far better than a frontman thats to bland.

This is how I rate bands, its pretty simple. If I was walking through a park or a fair and was listening to different bands would I stop and check you guys out? Not only would I check you guys out but I would stay for the entire set.

Good stuff.

BTW you said: We were only standing there cause everyone was at the bar, couldn't get into the groove

Heres a problem imo. You guys spent hours on practicing, writing, hauling equipment around etc and you put on a show but couldnt get into a groove? Your number one job is to get the audiences attention and give them something to remember. If 3 people are there you gotta throw it down...I think the best shows are the small ones because you can just have fun, just think of it as a dress rehearsal.
If you check my profile song please leave a comment on any part.....THANKS!!!
Last edited by v8ko at Mar 11, 2008,
Guitar playing is really great, good one. But you and the bassist really oughta move more. Even just walking around a little bit or swaying to the music. But really, just standing there looks worse than you think, especially with the singer to compare to. And the singer is freakin awesome. I can't tell how good the bassist is and the drummer seems solid and reasonably talented.

The riff and energy in the song is great. I assume it's original. The band seemed tight enough (what I mean is you all knew where you were and what you were doing, like you were well rehearsed and confident) but maybe could improve on that just a little bit, add a bit of clarity to your sound.

So I have only 2 criticisms: 1. move around a bit 2. tighten up a wee bit (don't take that one seriously though).
Quote by v8ko
Musically I thought it rocked pretty good. I actually listened to the other vids and then some songs on your myspace page so that imo says something right there. I thought most everything was really good the only nitpics I have is the bass player REALLY needs to throw down some attitude. Problem is hes got the mohawk and pulls off a very punk look but just stands there seems odd.

I would have to check out the drummer a couple more times but overall kinda not real inspiring....again it could just be my speakers or something. Vocals were done really well he has a good stage presense.

Your guitar playing is really good, I was a bit suprised to see that you guys have been a band for a couple years. I was thinking perhaps the band was only a few months old because you didnt move around much, well actually not at all until your singer gave you a shove. I dont think you need to do backflips off the stage but perhaps some general moving around would help...I also suffer from this same thing lol. I feel like Im moving around getting into a power stance here and there and if someone tapes the show Im pretty much just standing there.

While your singer does seem a little to "glam" its far better than a frontman thats to bland.

This is how I rate bands, its pretty simple. If I was walking through a park or a fair and was listening to different bands would I stop and check you guys out? Not only would I check you guys out but I would stay for the entire set.

Good stuff.

BTW you said: We were only standing there cause everyone was at the bar, couldn't get into the groove

Heres a problem imo. You guys spent hours on practicing, writing, hauling equipment around etc and you put on a show but couldnt get into a groove? Your number one job is to get the audiences attention and give them something to remember. If 3 people are there you gotta throw it down...I think the best shows are the small ones because you can just have fun, just think of it as a dress rehearsal.

I know what you mean, thanks by the way, I've only been in the band for about a year and a half, and that was our fourth gig, only really got a solid line up when I joined you see, it'd take a long time to explain why it took soo long to get gigs and **** so I won't bother lol. And when I say I couldn't get into the groove I meant like, when we played a different club we had a boss crowd, so I was all over the place, I dunno, its just me I gues haha. And that part where you said you'd take notice and stay for the entire set, THANKS MAN haha, really means alot.

Quote by Icarus Lives
Guitar playing is really great, good one. But you and the bassist really oughta move more. Even just walking around a little bit or swaying to the music. But really, just standing there looks worse than you think, especially with the singer to compare to. And the singer is freakin awesome. I can't tell how good the bassist is and the drummer seems solid and reasonably talented.

The riff and energy in the song is great. I assume it's original. The band seemed tight enough (what I mean is you all knew where you were and what you were doing, like you were well rehearsed and confident) but maybe could improve on that just a little bit, add a bit of clarity to your sound.

So I have only 2 criticisms: 1. move around a bit 2. tighten up a wee bit (don't take that one seriously though).

Thanks, really appreciate the advice and stuff, was only our fourth gig like, so we have plenty of time to improve. And yeah its original

Quote by Icarus Lives
What amp are you using? I like your tone.

It was a marshall JCM 900 I think, through a BOSS Metal Zone, they weren't mine though, they weren't mine though, they were the Leas Guitarist's out of Dear Superstar, seriosuly, it was a brilliant set up!!
I'm the singer of this band and I gotta say the venue was pretty empty, even during the headliners set there wasn't a crowd and everyone just stood by the bar, I guess thats just the way that venue is. I always try and give it my all stage presence wise to give the show that extra oomph seeing as I am the frontman, but the others tend to feed off the energy of the crowd, and with this being a dud crowd there wasn't as much movement.

Despite the crowd though, it was a pretty damn good show!

PS: I am NOT emo, far from it!
Your guitar work is dope the singer is a little to high pitched and screetchy for me and the bassist could use some cocaine
Quote by StealthyHayze
Your guitar work is dope the singer is a little to high pitched and screetchy for me and the bassist could use some cocaine

The guitar work is dope? I hope that means something good mate?