ok...we dont stop reading stupid books in english 12 in the states. my question is for anyone familiar with british literature is a novel i can read that doesnt suck. im not illiterate but i'd like to be able to understand it. thanks guys
MIM Fender Telecaster Boss CH1
Ltd 400 EC Original Cry Baby
Fender Acoustic
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
ha...terrible grammar on that one but im in a hurry and im going home
Fender Acoustic
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
You sound hugely illiterate considering the earlier statements "Find me British literature that doesn't suck."

Anyway, I'll try to help, you want to read "Nineteen Eighty Four" by George Orwell. "Lord of the Flies" but I've forgotten who wrote that, "Great Expectations" and "Oliver Twist" by Dickens - they're probably the easiest to read of his, "Empire of the Sun" by JG Ballard; all fantastic books, great stories, great characters and most of them are hugely thought provoking.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Anything by George Orwell

Also, ask if you're allowed to read Irish authors, because James Joyce is awesome.
Quote by hardrock1315
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Anything by George Orwell

Also, ask if you're allowed to read Irish authors, because James Joyce is awesome.

Golding, that's it, thank you. I haven't read LOTF for ages, but it's one of the greatest books written, I was so pleased to find out that the choirboys were the enemy - I hate them with a passion, earlier experiences give reason.

Anyway, in response to TS, apart from Mark Twain, and Steinbeck, what American literature is worth reading? Really.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy.

*throws up all over everything Hardy ever wrote*

Sorry, let my passionate hatred get the better of me for a second there.

>.>

<.<
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by freddaahh

Anyway, in response to TS, apart from Mark Twain, and Steinbeck, what American literature is worth reading? Really.

Loads. And loads. And loads. That's a little close minded.
Quote by freddaahh

Thats so dumb...

Fitzgerald, Faulkner, HEMINGWAY?

idiot
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
again, sorry for the ****ty grammar.peace love and thanks
Fender Acoustic
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
Quote by meh!
*throws up all over everything Hardy ever wrote*

Sorry, let my passionate hatred get the better of me for a second there.

>.>

<.<

Really? I thought that was really good!

Has anyone mentioned LOTR yet? Readreadreadread.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Really? I thought that was really good!

Did nothing for me. Full of words and description but simultaneously telling me nothing I'm interested in. meh.
Quote by N!ck897
ok...we dont stop reading stupid books in english 12 in the states. my question is for anyone familiar with british literature is a novel i can read that doesnt suck. im not illiterate but i'd like to be able to understand it. thanks guys

Really? You can't find ANY british literature that interests you? Maybe culture doesn't work for some people.
Quote by StonaLemons
terry pratchett books!

Pratchett has Alzheimers apparently.
I think a crying fit is in order.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
It's an acoustic, slow it down, get some lemonade, go to the beach, play "i'm yours" by jason mraz, get women...
i don't mind reading. and British literature doesn't bother me. its just that i have no knowledge of it so i need some recommendations
Fender Acoustic
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
Douglas Adams- Hitch hiker's...
Kenneth Grahame- The Wind In The Willows
Tolkien- The Hobbit/ Lotr
Anthony Burgess- A Clockwork Orange
Terry Pratchett- Discworld
Chaucer- The Canterbury Tales
Clive Barker- Weaveworld
Philip Pullman- His Dark Materials
John Milton- Paradise Lost

That should keep you ticking over for a while
In Brit Lit at my school, we read Beowulf. You should follow suite. He never even says "I am Beowulf".
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy.

Don't make me hate you.

Hardy is so... vile. It's like shitting out apples of worthless and blank description from a pea of actual narrative.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Harry Potter is the finest British literature ever written
<Han> I love Hitler