I am looking at getting a gibson les paul sometime in the future. My question is what do you think about getting a les paul standard/classic without trying it first off ebay for $1300 or should I go to a store and try out the guitar and buy a Les Paul Studio for $1200. Also if I get it off ebay, can anybody tell me some information about the Les Paul's Gibson built in the 90's (such as the quality, sound and general information compared to todays Gibson Les Paul). Thanks
Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief.
If you've played LP's and like the feel, then generaly, you'll be safe buying it off ebay, just make sure you don't get a trashy one.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Find the model name of the Les Paul on eBay, then go try it in a store. Trust me, I've honestly done that like 5 times. If you like it, buy it on eBay.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
gibbys have gone down in standard IMO i much prefer my 80s Jp copy, seriously i would recomend getting and old greco/burny/orville (orville are actually made by gibson) much superiour to nowadays gibbys and nowhere near as expensive antique gbsons

unless you just want to have a 'gibson' on the headstock
although I would suggest seeing the serial number on ebay. If they dont have pictures ask for them, and if you get it, check it out through gibson, and make sure everything matches up
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
although I would suggest seeing the serial number on ebay. If they dont have pictures ask for them, and if you get it, check it out through gibson, and make sure everything matches up

I can't stress that enough. The best ways to tell it is a fake, is calling Gibson about the serial number on the headstock, the truss cover usually only has 2 screws (where most fakes have the 3 screws like epiphone) and if you take off the backplates or humbuckers they are not painted. Most fakes just paint everything. Gibson.com has a page dedicated to how to spot a fake. I know someone that had to deal with receiving a fake on Ebay, it is not a pretty ordeal what so ever.

If it checks out though, and the price is good, ebay is not a bad way to go, just be careful.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom (bright yellow finish)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Crate XT15R
Fender Rumble 60
Pod X3 Live
Boss NS-1 Noisegate
I would say feck gibson and get a prs. i got mine off ebay. its a custom 22 in red, only played once, got it for £950! they are normally £2000 in the uk! They are alot more versatile and are alot lighter. But, if you want a gibs I'd try find a second hand one on ebay or somewhere.
Guys buys $5000 Gibson off eBay. Guy receives metal rod in a guitar case. End of story. Point made?
There's always a risk that you get a bad guitar as we all know but id say: NEVER buy ANYTHING off of ebay unless you've tried it first... or that it's so cheap it's simply no loss =)... of course a 1200$ gibson LP isn't no loss at all
Quote by craigcochrane
Guys buys $5000 Gibson off eBay. Guy receives metal rod in a guitar case. End of story. Point made?

Thats why there is such thing as buyer protection, and u can cancel payments and all that crap.
I'd say go for the shop.
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused
Get the Standard/Classic over the Studio, for sure.

I just saw a Classic on eBay for 1699.99 in honeyburst, and it looks great!

I also saw an Epiphone for 449.99 in honeyburst, and it has the same finish. So if you want, look at Epiphones too before dropping so much cash.
High as tits
When i buy guitars I like to check them out in person first, but that is also because i consider myself inexperienced. If you feel comfortable buying over eBay, buy from a trusted and reputable seller and expect to have to pay for a setup once the guitar arrives. Also make sure the proper insurance is set up for shipping, since it's not that hard for it to get damaged.
I hope you are getting a gibson les paul. If you are buying an epiphone... you might as well just buy one of the twenty dollar wal mart guitars
Quote by linknchuk
I hope you are getting a gibson les paul. If you are buying an epiphone... you might as well just buy one of the twenty dollar wal mart guitars

Epiphones arent bad guitars. They aren't the best, but for the money they are pretty good.
Standard-level Epiphones are better than entry-level LTDs.
The Elitist level Epis are on par with Gibson Standard-level.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
if youre gonna pay as much as a gibson costs, youll want to make sure its perfect. Only way to do that is by playing it in a store.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by stephen_rettie
gibbys have gone down in standard IMO i much prefer my 80s Jp copy, seriously i would recomend getting and old greco/burny/orville (orville are actually made by gibson) much superiour to nowadays gibbys and nowhere near as expensive antique gbsons

unless you just want to have a 'gibson' on the headstock

I absolutely agree. Japanese quality is as good as today's Gibsons (though Gibbo is starting to get its act together again, I think)