Page 1 of 2
Before i begin, sorry if this is a frequently asked quesiton.
Ok so due to some family problems i am forced to sell my go kart ( which one my biggest passion besides music) and there is a big chance ill get anwhere from 2 to 3 thousand dollars, which i figure, if i have to lose one of my passions, i might as well use the money to support my other passion.
I have an epiphone les paul ( which im probably going to sell) and a fender strat because i play mostly blues, funk, and metal, and i need an amp that can tackle all these genres of music.

so the question, what type of tube amp should i buy that has a well rounded sound for blues, funk, and metal. I really dont want to buy another amp after this, my current amp is ****ting out on me so i want to buy something that can last me a good while before i upgrade. any suggestions? i was lookin at Marshalls, mostly a JVM2000 or a Jvm410h....but on the blues side a fender twin.
any sugesstions?

thank you for any help
I'd say go to the shop and try them out,
trust me go to the shops and try them because i once,
was about to buy a Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/out,
trying it out and when i tried it out it didn't feel right?
The neck was too thick for me lol so,
going back to the point go to the shop and try it out.

But I would buy the fender twin and then buy like a Kranck Distortion pedal or something like that so you have got the best of both worlds.
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused
Mesa.
Mark.
IV.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by stephen_rettie
JVMs arent very good IMO
look for JCM 800/900 on ebay,

Are they really good amps? i hear and read mixed reviews on them, and i kinda want new so i have a warranty and ebay screwed me over 147 bucks so im not using that anymore.

thank you for your answers and suggestions
If you've got a strat, then for blues and funk, you definantly want to get fender tube amp, though that's all i can say for sure. You'll be getting alot of money there it seems, and i've never bothered testing out huge amazing amps in the store. Knowing that I can't afford those awesome amps hurts a little less when i don't try them to begin with. A mesa would be good too, though. I've heard my friend's. Although you'd definantly want a distortion pedal for metal if you got a fender. If you're getting 2,000 for your gokart, you might just want to get 2 amps.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Quote by Wanna l3
If you've got a strat, then for blues and funk, you definantly want to get fender tube amp, though that's all i can say for sure. You'll be getting alot of money there it seems, and i've never bothered testing out huge amazing amps in the store. Knowing that I can't afford those awesome amps hurts a little less when i don't try them to begin with. A mesa would be good too, though. I've heard my friend's. Although you'd definantly want a distortion pedal for metal if you got a fender. If you're getting 2,000 for your gokart, you might just want to get 2 amps.

two amps sounds nice, very tempting but i just want one very versatile one, i was thinking if i had left overs that i would buy a gibson les paul or a gibson VOS 61 reissue, but i doubt it.

what mesa do you suggest?

thank you for your suggestion and time
Mesa Road King II. It does everything so well. Much better than a JVM...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
A Nice amp for Blues is the Fender Deluxe Reverb. I play a Tele through it and it sounds pretty sweet, as for an overdrive pedal, I use a Maxon od808, obviously if you are a metal guy you'll need more gain, amp wise its not very gainy, so you'd need your distortion from the pedal of your choice
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Mesa Road King II. It does everything so well. Much better than a JVM...

thank you for this suggestion!! i am seriously interested in this mesa, i usually thought they were metal amps, have you used one before? i looked on musiciansfriend and they dont have the amp, can you give me a rough estimate of how much it would cost?

thank you again
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
thank you for this suggestion!! i am seriously interested in this mesa, i usually thought they were metal amps, have you used one before? i looked on musiciansfriend and they dont have the amp, can you give me a rough estimate of how much it would cost?

thank you again

I have used one extensively, because I own one. Anyway, Mesa only really sells through some distributers, and most don't have the Road King. You can order a Road King II directly from Mesa for $2,599.99 USD new. They take about 6 to 8 weeks to be shipped because Mesa amps are built to order.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
I have used one extensively, because I own one. Anyway, Mesa only really sells through some distributers, and most don't have the Road King. You can order a Road King II directly from Mesa for $2,599.99 USD new. They take about 6 to 8 weeks to be shipped because Mesa amps are built to order.

so the chances of guitar center having are not high? i saw the amp for about 2,499, did it go up? and i keep seeing liek two types of the road king, one is something like a recitifer, is that the amp or is there anohter btter one?

thank you again for all help
carvin v3.

it'll do everything you need
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
The Mesa Road King or Roadster. With 3 grand, you could buy a roadster head and 2x12 cab. That's what I'm doing. I really think that the Roadster, Road King, or the Mark IV. would be the best choice for what you need. The Lonestar cleans are incredible on the Roadster and Road King, and the distortion is awesome. Anything from Clapton to Meshuggah and then some!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
The Mesa Road King or Roadster. With 3 grand, you could buy a roadster head and 2x12 cab. That's what I'm doing. I really think that the Roadster, Road King, or the Mark IV. would be the best choice for what you need. The Lonestar cleans are incredible on the Roadster and Road King, and the distortion is awesome. Anything from Clapton to Meshuggah and then some!

but is there only one type of road king, because i read on a sight somewhere there is a less expensive crappier version of it. Or is there only one road king II?

thank you for your help and suggestions
Right i stand at either a Mesa Road King II or a carvin V3, althouhg i havnt played any yet, i plan to very soon, what the prices for these amps? and has any one had any personal experience with each.

Ps: sorry if annoying, but i read there are 2 types of road kings II, if i am right could you tell me the name of the better one, and if i am wrong could you give me a price

thank you all for your help and suggestions
IMHO i think you should get Randall MTS 120 (or is it 100?) watt head. three channel slots. you can choose three different amp modules to fill those slots. and there's a lot to choose from, ALL accurately replicating the tone of the most signature amps. i know there's a bassman or twin reverb module or two, called the blackface. there's also mid gain ones including the AC30 module called the top boost, the marshall plexi module called Plexi, many hi gain ones including the one i use based of rectofier called the Recto. it's worth looking at, but i'm not claiming it's the END ALL BE ALL amp that you MUST buy. but in MY opinion....IT IS!!!

hahaha have fun tryin out amps you lucky bastard!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
There is only one version.
of the Road King II. There was a Version 1 RK II that premiered for a little while, but if you ordered an RK II from mesa right now, there would be only one amp, the RK II version 2. I hope that wasn't too confusing. I will post more when I get home. I am posting from my phone.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
but is there only one type of road king, because i read on a sight somewhere there is a less expensive crappier version of it. Or is there only one road king II?

thank you for your help and suggestions

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Roadster

The Roadster is not crappier by any means...cheaper, yes, but crappier, not really.
The only real difference, is that the Road King has more tubes, a lot more output watts, and progressive linkage which allows you to use ALL of the power tubes in it.

The Roadster also has the advantage of switchable power, which gives you the choice of 50 watts or the full all out 100 watts.

All of the amps features etc are listed on mesaboogie.com

I really think the Roadster is ideal. 1999.99 List
Mesa.
Mark.
IV.

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Roadster

The Roadster is not crappier by any means...cheaper, yes, but crappier, not really.
The only real difference, is that the Road King has more tubes, a lot more output watts, and progressive linkage which allows you to use ALL of the power tubes in it.

The Roadster also has the advantage of switchable power, which gives you the choice of 50 watts or the full all out 100 watts.

All of the amps features etc are listed on mesaboogie.com

I really think the Roadster is ideal. 1999.99 List

The RK has 2 FX loops, Roadster has 1. RK has the ability to switch between speaker cabinets. Roadster doesn't. RK has 6 power tubes. Roadster has 4. They are both wonderful amps, you just gotta know what you want. And the Roadster lists for 1899.99 USD.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
The RK has 2 FX loops, Roadster has 1. RK has the ability to switch between speaker cabinets. Roadster doesn't. RK has 6 power tubes. Roadster has 4. They are both wonderful amps, you just gotta know what you want. And the Roadster lists for 1899.99 USD.

I got quotes from every guitar center in Minnesota and they all said 1999

Am i getting screwed?
Quote by FLCLcowdude

hey thanks for all your help, you cleared it up for me, ill stick with either the road king or a carvin v3, but do you know how much a carvin would cost? so far i cant find a price. Do you know if guitar center sell roadkings or carvins?

any experiecne with either?

thank you for all your help
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
hey thanks for all your help, you cleared it up for me, ill stick with either the road king or a carvin v3, but do you know how much a carvin would cost? so far i cant find a price. Do you know if guitar center sell roadkings or carvins?

any experiecne with either?

thank you for all your help

Carvin's build quality is not amazing. I recomend a Mesa as well. you think people gyped you for the 2k price? no, thats just the combo cost. The head alone is 1899 they probably thought you wanted the combo. I think the Roadster/Roadking sound awesome but I have no personal experiance (sitting down and eqing) with them. They are your alternative to the Mesa Mark IV, which is a different beast but an equally great one.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Carvin's build quality is not amazing. I recomend a Mesa as well. you think people gyped you for the 2k price? no, thats just the combo cost. The head alone is 1899 they probably thought you wanted the combo. I think the Roadster/Roadking sound awesome but I have no personal experiance (sitting down and eqing) with them. They are your alternative to the Mesa Mark IV, which is a different beast but an equally great one.

Thanks, did not know the build quality to a carvin was bad. will look it up, so you suggest go with a Mesa Road King II?
Carvin V3 and the Mesa Mark IV would both be versatile enough for what you want to do.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Carvin V3 and the Mesa Mark IV would both be versatile enough for what you want to do.

ah but the question is which is the better buy, both are versatile so the people on this forum ( which i thank) say, but now one person says carvin is built crappy, another says the something about the mesa. I guess ill just have to try em both out and look it up on the internet
The Mesa RK II is so great for what it does. Just see if you can find one to play with. I bet there is one floating around a GC somewhere in the US. Have your local store find one and get it sent there from another store. You should be able to play around with it.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
The Mesa RK II is so great for what it does. Just see if you can find one to play with. I bet there is one floating around a GC somewhere in the US. Have your local store find one and get it sent there from another store. You should be able to play around with it.

does it cost money to get it sent to another store? the big challenge is tring to find a carvin v3 to play, musiciansfriend, music123 zzounds, none of them have them one there site, and from my knowledge theyre basically the same trhing as guitar center
You can only get Carvin's from their website. www.Carvin.com. I don't know if it costs money to get it sent. If it does than that is bull****.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
You can only get Carvin's from their website. www.Carvin.com. I don't know if it costs money to get it sent. If it does than that is bull****.

well thats a big gamble, if i order a carvin its because i wana buy it, and i dont like buyin things without playing it first, its only a smart thing to do dont ya think?

thanks for yyour help
Quote by Highwaytohell

First of all, im not ****ing retarded, I told them I wanted the head and a 2x12 cab. They quoted me 1999.99 for the head and 699.99 for the 2x12.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
First of all, im not ****ing retarded, I told them I wanted the head and a 2x12 cab. They quoted me 1999.99 for the head and 699.99 for the 2x12.

those bastards!

you'll have to look beyond GC and musiciansfriend if you want the best tones. Mesa, Splawn etc.
GC is ripoff. I bought mine at a place called Atlanta Discount Music. Great store!
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
GC is ripoff. I bought mine at a place called Atlanta Discount Music. Great store!

so it would probably have to be a local store who would have one instead of a big company...that sucks
so i went to guitar center yesterday to try out some amps, i tried the Marshall JVm410 which was my first option, and it sucked, i couldnt get a good tone out of it, but the clean was great, the distortion was horrible. and they had a mesa recitifer, which was also aright, the gain wasnt that great in my opinion, but again the clean was great, they said they couldnt send a roadking from anohter store and that they wont have those in stock and they dont carry carvins...i am screwed
Ok, so this is what im going to do, thank you to all who helped me. Im going to buy a Fender Twin reverb amp and just buy heavy distortion pedals for my metal, no use gambling for a mesa or a carvin thanks to all who helped
GC is bull**** that they wouldn't send an amp. I ****ing hate GC...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
GC is bull**** that they wouldn't send an amp. I ****ing hate GC...

yea i know, and i bought a les paul from them ( epiphone) and i asked how much they would buy it, they said 100 dollars tops, and i bought it used and its still in the same condition as when i bought the guitar, and you know they will just sell it for 400 or something outrageous like that, guitar center is bullsh*t
Try some Hughes and Kettner amps.
They just might be what you're looking for.
Page 1 of 2