Poll: 6 or 7 string guitars?...for metal!
Poll Options
View poll results: 6 or 7 string guitars?...for metal!
38 59%
37 58%
Voters: 64.
...the title pretty much sums up what im asking..

cheers guys!

blacckross

by the way this is also a poll to compare opinions.
heavier = obviously 7 string
better = ... could be both... depends on your ability to play metal
The more the merrier!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
12 string lol nah i'd say 7 but i prefer 6 string.
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused
6, unless you can ACTUALLY use a seven, like Vai or Loomis or Broderick. If you just want to get to drop-A easier and play Slipknot, you're better off with a six.
There is no "Better" different people use different things for different sounds.

Pointless thread.
Quote by Wylde_Man
There is no "Better" different people use different things for different sounds.

Pointless thread.

sorry dude.. dont get in such a mood. im just asking for opinion
A 7 string guitar will provide a wider array of notes to choose from, so I guess it's more versatile. However, I've never seen the point in going that low, so a 6 string suits me just fine for now.
Quote by Wylde_Man

Pointless thread.

he didnt mean "better" in general he meant for metal(metal is a kind of sound)
Ultimately, it's the sound and quality of the guitar, not the amount of strings. A $1000 MIJ Jackson 6 string will probably sound and be built better than a $380 MII Ibanez 7 string.
That's the ultimate answer to this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 10, 2008,
Quote by Danno13
6, unless you can ACTUALLY use a seven, like Vai or Loomis or Broderick. If you just want to get to drop-A easier and play Slipknot, you're better off with a six.

We have a winner!
Quote by rhettro
We have a winner!

yup...
7 are sweet if you are good with it, but otherwise it's just gonna make you're work harder
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
screw both, get a halo 10 string
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by mafropetee
8 string > all.

i wouldn't know what to do with that eighth string... what do you tune it to, C?
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
A Baritone 6-string can be heavier than a 7-string, but a 7 can be heavier in other instances. It all depends on the model and quality/tone of the guitars in question.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
One's not better than the other, but I've come to prefer the seven because you can keep the high notes that you lose when you down tune. I don't see why more metal bands don't use them. You can do a lot more than play Korn on a seven, but most closed minded people think that's all they're good for
Too bad it's not out yet.

Honestly though, it doesn't really make a difference--it comes down to the player and the amp. To an extent, a Baritone 6 will have more string clarity than a 7 will due to the extended scale, but it sacrifices the extra notes. These extra notes are why so many instrumental guitarists use 7s.