I'd like to find some way to profit off my compositions. A buddy of mine (who's heard my stuff) suggested that I sell my songs to video games.

I write heavy metal, kind of thrashy stuff, slightly punk and melodeath inflected, and basically all minor key.

Can anyone offer their perspective on this? I don't game, I have no idea what the video game music "scene" is these days. Is there a market for heavy metal soundtracks in video games anymore? Are there record companies that handle video game soundtracks?
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
sample..?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Send a demo and CV/Resume, along with a letter explaining what you'd like, to various game companies. Difficult to break into, as they normally hire pros, but worth a shot.
There is a music database that is used for movies and games. You have to pay to be added to it, but there's the chance of your music being used.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Apologies, guys, but I'm really not comfortable letting strange people on the internets hear my stuff. I don't have anything copyrighted and I'd like to protect it until I know for sure what to do with it.

Vermintide - What is a CV? If I send them a demo (of uncopyrighted material), am I giving them the rights to use that material as they wish (ie, without compensating me)?
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
Quote by wannabe_punk
Apologies, guys, but I'm really not comfortable letting strange people on the internets hear my stuff. I don't have anything copyrighted and I'd like to protect it until I know for sure what to do with it.

Vermintide - What is a CV? If I send them a demo (of uncopyrighted material), am I giving them the rights to use that material as they wish (ie, without compensating me)?

CV is the same as a resume AFAIK. It lists all your qualifications, education, adress, contact details, references... Basically all the vital stuff an employer would want.

And I believe your music should be protected under the Creative Commons act, or whatever it's called. You don't need to do anything but write "Material (C) wannabe_punk 2008" or whatever. You'd have a strong case to sue if they used it without your permission.
Quote by wannabe_punk

CV is brit speak for Resume...

Video game music is really tough to get into... only way is to start knocking on people's doors, goto developers conferences, etc. and network. Might look into soundtracking some indie films as it is a somewhat similar process.

Good luck
You don't want us "strangers" to hear your music, yet you're willing to send it the developers whom you don't know?

Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Ichikurosaki
If you're anything at all like Nobuo Uematsu, PLEASE TRY AND GET IN WITH SQUARE-ENIX

They need some decent music.

Yes they should fire the trainwreck who made the music for FFXII and get Nobou back.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Ichikurosaki
If you're anything at all like Nobuo Uematsu, PLEASE TRY AND GET IN WITH SQUARE-ENIX

They need some decent music.

Like I said, I don't game. All I have on this guy is what I just found on youtube. Can you give me an idea of what he's done?

Quote by SupremeACL
You don't want us "strangers" to hear your music, yet you're willing to send it the developers whom you don't know?

Well I'm trying to decide if I should send it to developers. That's my point, I really don't know. I guess I could put together a compilation of samples in Guitar Pro to get some feedback, but that could take a while (a couple weeks or so).

I guess if anyone would like to hear this stuff, PM me your email and I'll send it to everyone when I've put something together to my satisfaction. Also, you can't steal it.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Oh, man. I was expecting to see you bitching about something again.

Cool, i was right.

Are you okay?

How was what I said bitching? I was actually expecting this to be about 8-bit music.

Way to ruin my happy buzz.
Quote by wannabe_punk
Like I said, I don't game. All I have on this guy is what I just found on youtube. Can you give me an idea of what he's done?

Well I'm trying to decide if I should send it to developers. That's my point, I really don't know. I guess I could put together a compilation of samples in Guitar Pro to get some feedback, but that could take a while (a couple weeks or so).

I guess if anyone would like to hear this stuff, PM me your email and I'll send it to everyone when I've put something together to my satisfaction. Also, you can't steal it.

Nobou Uematsu has done some of the best instrumental compositions ever, for the Final Fantasy games among others.

You're Not Alone (FFIX) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFytzNhPsoM
To Zanarkand (FFX) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYecLvwOiVA&feature=related
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
Yes they should fire the trainwreck who made FFXII and stop making the silly games.

Fixed
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Archaon

Are you okay?

How was what I said bitching? I was actually expecting this to be about 8-bit music.

Way to ruin my happy buzz.

Quote by wannabe_punk

He's just the single most greatest composer ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_-SlMVHHdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q11Pfpi4viw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqqxNeGr7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TntdZOQRR8

^variation.
Quote by floppypick
Fixed

Lost Odyssey FTW.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Quote by Archaon
Oh, man. I was expecting 8-bit stuff when I came in here.

haha I guess I could turn it into something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZ1d6ovVNw
but I'm talking about real-instrument rock n roll.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Quote by Archaon
Oh, man. I was expecting 8-bit stuff when I came in here.

+1
Quote by wannabe_punk
haha I guess I could turn it into something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZ1d6ovVNw
but I'm talking about real-instrument rock n roll.

Haha, 8-bit music was a LONG time ago, man.

The easiest market I guess would be EA games; they put lots of licensed stuff in their games (they make mostly sport and driving games), and I think they do some indipendent stuff as well as more famous bands.
Personally I only ever see rather popular bands in EA stuff, but I don't play a large amount of computer games

I expect it's an impossibly hard business to get into, companies either go with already famous songs, or get composers in who work specifically for the game, whereas currently you've wrote things which may or may not apply to whatever it is they're doing
You'd have to give them examples, a variety would be good, and expect to then have to write everything from scratch, and even then you'd need a vast amount of experience. They'd be more likely to hire one bloke (a la Nobuo Uematsu) than a plethora of guys doing one song each, so you'd have to show massive flexibility and variety in your samples, and then be able to replicate them to a very high level in a potentially short time-frame

I think the biggest problem is it's a profession, not a hobby-horse market. Unless you can dedicate full working hours to it it's probably not a possibility
Well I definitely don't write like Nobuo Uematsu.
I know I must've burst a few bubbles with that sentence.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
You daren't.
But thanks for the help anyway.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy