Is a Mesa F50 better than a Peavey 5150 or a XXX? I want to use it for metal, while still having good cleans.
Thanks I was just making sure. It was kind of a dumb question.
Quote by neon10th
Thanks I was just making sure. It was kind of a dumb question.

Wait, what? You're going to make a decision and doubt yourself, based on one non-supported opinion? That's silly.

Play both amps, is my advice.
Quote by Stratmaster458
Mesa pwns peavey nuff said

I've yet to play on an F series, but I have played on a Tripple Recto, and it blows everything short of a Marshall TSL out of the water.

EDIT: But it's entirely personal opinion. The 5150/6505 are awesome amps, and for all you know, they could eat an F-50 for breakfast. Like the other guy said, go try them all out for yourself.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Its personal taste some love the XXX and 6505 and hate mesa's Just try it out or listen to unbiased sound clips
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
F50 doesn't have enough gain without an OD/boost/EQ for metal with low master volume. i have clips in my profile if you want to get a general idea of what it sounds like with an EQ pedal.
Quote by rky
F50 doesn't have enough gain without an OD/boost/EQ for metal with low master volume. i have clips in my profile if you want to get a general idea of what it sounds like with an EQ pedal.

Really? I thought F50s had plenty of headroom for gain.
A Peavey XXX or 6505 does not have more gain than a Mesa F-50, does it?
XXX is = 6505 gain, but it just sounds way differnt, ethier should have more gain than any one would ever need. Personally I think the xxx sound more like a recto. IDK I am not a metal head.
Yes, it can give you as good cleans as fender twins i hear (from twin owners). In terms of gain, my f-100 does metallica gain well, but for darker, modern 'brutal' tones, go for the 6505, unless u get a OD for the mesa of course which might work better as u get the highly superior cleans too.