I'm in my junior year in high school, and i ****ed around alot during freshman and sophmore year, and didn't think of the consequences, therefore my GPA isn't where i want it to be. So do you know of any means, besides getting good grades(I'm already doing pretty well this year), which can boost up my gpa?

I was thinking taking some college courses in the summer, but does that affect my gpa?
Quote by highvoltage66
AP(weighted) classes always help

Not if you fail them...

Really man, the only way is to get better grades.
do smarter in the classes...
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Dont take AP classes. They fuked all of my friends over because they got ****ty grades. I remember the school pushin those classes hard and everyone took them. But it only hurt most people.
Take AP classes. As long as you do decently in them (like get a 75-80 at least), you'll be ok. Most schools will raise your grade in an AP class to boost your class rank and colleges will usually take someone who has lower grades in AP classes over higher grades in regular classes.

But only take them if you take you have a chance at doing well, if you don't they'll really mess your GPA. Some of them are easier then others so be careful about which ones you choose.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Last edited by thefuzz454 at Mar 10, 2008,
Quote by Otari
would summer college courses affect my gpa?

Only if you have failed classes. If you pass the summer class, you can replace the "F" with a "C". At least thats how it was with my school. If you're worried about colleges, they look more at extra-curricular activities than just grades. Get a job, do a lot of community service, all that stuff. It's what got me into the college I'm going to. I had a decent GPA but there were people with higher GPA's that got rejected when i got admitted so, its not solely grades. Also, study your ass off for the ACT, SAT, etc. if you do really well on them, that can make up for a subpar GPA. For California schools at least, they do some kind of weird calculation where it takes your GPA and SAT's and combines them so that if you have a good GPA and bad SAT's or vice-versa they balnace each other out. I can probably explain it better if you need me to, just ask.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

... wow...
it would probally be easier if you just went to a community college or an offshoot of a state college.

Just go for 2 years and get good grades ands you shouldnt have a problem getting into a better school. Plus i doubt you're ready for college and even though ive heard that community college is just like high school except with dorms, it might prepare you for college.

And im in the same exact situation as you. Except my GPA is 2.3.
really, just study as hard as you can and do all your work in your classes, seriously

im kinda in the same boat, but im failing chem right now because i simply dont get it anymore, i really dont know anything about mole conversions

but hopefully my course selection for next year will help at least a little, im taking AP computer sciences and seeing as i want to go to college for computer sciences, and GOD WILLING i can somehow get into the school i want (temple university in PA)
Quote by nt1440
really, just study as hard as you can and do all your work in your classes, seriously

im kinda in the same boat, but im failing chem right now because i simply dont get it anymore, i really dont know anything about mole conversions

but hopefully my course selection for next year will help at least a little, im taking AP computer sciences and seeing as i want to go to college for computer sciences, and GOD WILLING i can somehow get into the school i want (temple university in PA)

that's where i am applying to too
It has been proven time and again that recent GPA improvements make a difference in the application process to schools.

It's a case of working with what you've got. Are you going to stand as good a chance as those with picture-perfect GPA's? No.

But what's the best you can do at this point?

I'd work to get as close to a 4.0 as possible and maintain that for as long as possible. Balance your electives with your meat - AND DON'T TAKE MORE THAN TWO MEAT CLASSES AT A TIME!!!

You will kill yourself and that is not impressive to schools.

So look at a Physical science, say Physics or Chemistry, and a Biological science for your meat.

Or replace the Physical science with a math.

At the SAME TIME, take something fun you know you can get an A in. Photography, Ceramics, Wood Shop, Automotive, etc. All a lot of work involved, but easy A's if you show you are passionate about them.

Spread your schedule out and don't forget to have fun.

Take a day off every week. I usually do Sundays.

That's right, I do absolutely jack crap on Sunday. I play, have fun, whatever.

That's important, too. If you think about it, you might be able to study 24/7 for a few weeks, you'll have great grades and everything will be fine...

But you'll crash. It will all get too stressful and you'll just abandon the whole process in favor of a giant party.

When you're done with a couple of strong semester, assemble everything into an organized file you can present to your schools. Save any indications that you made the honor role, awards and so on.

Dental and Med students will often create an Excel spreadsheet showing their grade improvement over time, color coded, with percent change and other statistics outlined and bolded.

That's people who made it in.

Also include something about your "wake up call" that made you decide to take your grades seriously. You'll probably have to write an essay for your application, so make that the theme of your essay -

Think of it as your "finding Jesus" essay. Except you're not finding Jesus, you're finding the wonderful world of Academia!

You have been Saved!!

...trust me, they'll lap that shit up like starving dogs.

They also want to hear how badly you want to go to Grad school and be in Academia for ever and ever!

Trust me, expressing any interest in eventually graduating and making an actual living is BAD!!!!!

They want future grad students who will work for nothing and do a bunch of work they can take credit for. So? Sell it to 'em.

...knowing what your market wants is 99% of the battle.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Look for GPA boosters - chorus, music classes, etc. Things that are easy and for some reason graded. Automatic A's.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
A college course will NOT affect your HS GPA at all. It WILL give you credits to help you graduate.

The ONLY thing you can do is to get straight A's across the board. Nothing else will raise your GPA. That's the cold hard truth, so get to work.
High as tits
Quote by Otari
that's where i am applying to too

seriously? good luck man, i no i shouldnt be freaking out that much about it, seeing as im a junior right now, but i REALLY need to straighten out my grades
Quote by Otari
around 2.2

you call that good????

well what did you have before
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic