Where is a really good spot to place my hands during picking? I've been playing guitarr for around 4-5 months and still miss strings while picking because I move my hand around to much. I've seen some place their middle, ring, and pinky at the high E string and use their thumb and pointer to hold the pick while strumming various strings. I just feel like I suck because I miss strings alot and or hit strings I dont need to hit. =(
Quote by Iamonfire
Dear sweet zombie Jesus, I just creamed my pants.
Rest your palm on the bridge or near it so it doesn't mute anything. Does a pretty good job for me
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Quote by Ibzman
Rest your palm on the bridge or near it so it doesn't mute anything. Does a pretty good job for me

Thanks. I'll have to break my sucky habit. =)
Quote by Iamonfire
Dear sweet zombie Jesus, I just creamed my pants.
Plant your pam on the bridge with a considerable amount of firmness...and use mostly your wrist for your picking motion..it really helped me...and i had the same problem as you too.
I plant my pinky below the highest E-string, i remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't do this though because it can be debilitating when you pic... or thats what i assume...
Quote by Flying Couch
What do you think lesbians do in bed? Play cards? They have ways of sexytime just like everybody else.

W
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why would you NOT scour the news for stories about incestual anal piping?
Here's what I do-

'Top' 3 strings (EAD) - Don't rest the hand anywhere. Keep it floating above the strings.

'Bottom' 3 strings (GBE) - Rest the base of the hand VERY LIGHTLY on the 'top' strings.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

either rest it by the bridge like people have said, or have your pinky against the guitar under all the strings, Like on my Les Paul, i could rest my pink and ring finger against the pick guard to hold my hand steady

And if you decide to use no pick as some people do or if you wanna play bass eventually
either rest your thumb along the top of the body or on the Low E string wile you bicycle on other strings
if you play close to the neck you get a warmer sound. if you play near the bridge you get a brighter sound. i usually rest my hand above the strings or on nothing.
Mostly I rest my hand on the bridge, it gives me a nice anchor point to play faster. But if I really need that warmer tone from playing near the neck, I'll just leave my hand free, maybe anchor my pinky on the pickguard. Just experiment with these different techniques and see which one feels more comfortable.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer