can a cabinet (4/12) rated at 4 ohm's 80 watts max, be powered with the line out from a 20 watt marshall? will it work or is the ohm rating have to be the same?
which 20 watt marshall. and yes ohms have to match up, depending on how you wired it, parallel or series, i believe.
if the speaker on your combo amp is wired for 8 ohm and the cabinet is 8 ohm wired, then you're good to go.

worst case scenario rewire the speaker connections to achieve 4 or 16 ohm. it's actually simple to understand how it works if you needed to do that.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
um... thnx. ill check that out, any idea where some info on how to rewire the speaker?
sure.

but you're not rewiring the speaker, but possibly the cabinet. remember, if it's wired for 8 ohms and so is your amp, you don't need to do anything.

Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 + R4 ==== series

Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + Rect..... ==== parallel
Rt = R1||R2 is the same

since an 8 ohm speaker has a resistance of 8 ohms, we think of it like it's a resistor. (because it is resisting current to some extent)

two four ohm speakers in series is 8 ohms. two eight ohm speakers in parallel is four ohms. two sets of 16 ohm speakers, each in series, but in parallel to eachother, is 16 ohms.

(16||16) + (16||16) = 16 ect.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
You can mismatch impedances as long as you aren't putting a lot of power through it. But I will say that adding a cabinet like that won't end up making it that much louder anyways.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by loco1rocker
can a cabinet (4/12) rated at 4 ohm's 80 watts max, be powered with the line out from a 20 watt marshall? will it work or is the ohm rating have to be the same?
No.
A line out is intended to drive a recorder, or another amplifier.
It won't drive a speaker properly.

It's not the same as an output for an external speaker.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
of course, SYK is right, i skimmed over the tiniest detail. you cant power a cab with just another output unfortunately. but they are good for recording, as syk said.

and syk, your sig DOES tell the truth
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...