well here you have it. unsurprisingly i blew my spider II at band practice yesterday. anyway im looking to buy a new amp. i need something that can keep up with drums and have good tone (i play metal and thats all i plan on doing with it really). im looking for something with the best tube-like sound but that is still solid state (i dont want to deal with replacing tubes etc down the road) also i need it to be as cheap as possible. anybody have any recommendations?
Budget and what sort of sound you looking for.

And why solidstate? Changing valves every 2 years is too much? If its gotta be solid state look at Randall otherwise id say a Bugera 333XL. They seem to be getting a lot of hype for cheap.
Quote by bootyguard
Or when my parents found out that i was having sex in my car my mom let me know cause she started making me 2 sandwhiches i was like "why 2?" and shes like "well you've been doing a lot of exercise recently". my face literally looked like this
what a loss

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

do you not use pedals bdecause you havce to change the batteries?

get tubes man

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by clit eastwood
im looking for something with the best tube-like sound but that is still solid state (i dont want to deal with replacing tubes etc down the road) also i need it to be as cheap as possible. anybody have any recommendations?

Bad reason for sticking with SS, IMHO. But I'd suggest a Peavey Bandit, Roland Cube, or maybe one of the Randall hybrids. Guess it depends on what you mean by cheap.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
A budget would be nice. In general tho, a Peavey classic 30 with the right pickups and a bit of a push can do metal pretty well. A Peavey Windosr Studio would be nice, add an OD and you have some great distortion. And if you get NOS tubes, in the FAQ it says they can last up to 30 years. And really, unless you get a really microphonic tube, they only need to be replaced every few years.
my problem is more that i don't have the knowledge to swap tubes myself, and where i live there isn't a place where i can have it done professionally. and im looking for a good metal tone for rhythm and lead. haha and ya i haven't even shed a tear over the spiders death haha. my budget is also anywhere between 200-350 $
Quote by clit eastwood
my problem is more that i don't have the knowledge to swap tubes myself, and where i live there isn't a place where i can have it done professionally. and im looking for a good metal tone for rhythm and lead. haha and ya i haven't even shed a tear over the spiders death haha. my budget is also anywhere between 200-350 $

you take them out and pop in new ones.
If it's a fixed bias amp that is.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Most tube amps have a set bias so all you have to do is pull the old ones straight out and stick in the new ones. It's as easy as changing a light bulb
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
also i should say that im a peddle user to the max so i really just need a solid amp with a good clean channel (effects etc. aren't important). i might consider tube as long as it is low maintenance. keep in mind i need it to be loud enough to jam with a metal band/play small live shows
Quote by Xeroxed
Most tube amps have a set bias so all you have to do is pull the old ones straight out and stick in the new ones. It's as easy as changing a light bulb

Some people even think it's easier, being that you don't have to bother with the hassle of screwing them in.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
well if thats the case^ then sign me up (provided they are easily purchased?). keep the recommendations comin!
Yeah, pretty much any Guitar Center carries tubes, or you can get them online like I do.

And about the loudness, tube amps are way louder than solid state per watt.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
ive looked at the valveking but it would be a huge stretch. im hopin maybe il come across a hidden gem somewhere
Maybe a used Valveking then?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
well i think unless i find something somewhere its going to be a brand new peavey bandit. im hearing a lot of good things about this one. if anyoe has any experience with it let me know what you think! im probably goin to get a chance to try it out within a couple of weeks.
Quote by clit eastwood
well i think unless i find something somewhere its going to be a brand new peavey bandit. im hearing a lot of good things about this one. if anyoe has any experience with it let me know what you think! im probably goin to get a chance to try it out within a couple of weeks.

I have a Peavey Rage 158 (The Bandit's little brother) and there's nothing great about it.

Good cleans, but not great.

Distortion is fizzy and has no body.

I also tried it's big brother (the Bandit) in a music store once and it was about the same.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I have a bandit 112 with the transtube gubbins. I put a Celestion G12k into it, and it seems the part - drops low, has a pretty well defined clean, and can batter out a fair amount of distortion on the gain channel. The transtube does help the sound a good bit IMO, particularly when running the distorted channel.Theres a few gimmicky switches like the bright and thrash buttons, which do change the sound a little, but nothing to write home about. Considering you can pick them up cheap, especially second hand, I reckon you could do a lot worse.

Also, its pretty f***ing LOUD when it needs to be.

That said, Im fairly new to the whole scene, but there you have my tuppence worth.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
prob better off listening to dude instead of me lol
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD