QUESTION ONE

I've been doing some of the tapping lessons but still have a quick question.

My friend told me that it is easier and sounds better to tap the note and then quickly pull off from the fret in basically one motion whether it says to pull off or not. Is this true or is he just an idiot?

If it is say:

High E|---13--15(t)----|

I would normally pluck the 13 and tap the 15th fret with my say middle finger.
But would pulling off of the 15 immediataly after I tap it prove benificial or would it be just stupid?

QUESTION TWO:

Pick Tapping:

A lesson here says to tap the fret with the sharp edge of the pick. Does this mean that I hold the pick Perpindicular to the fretboard? If so, do I hold the pick so the flat side is facing me or the side is facing me? Basically:
_
\/ Say that that is the pick. Is that right?

or

| This? Where the pick is sideways?

Thanks so much!!!
Quote by Iamonfire
Dear sweet zombie Jesus, I just creamed my pants.
I would say it depends on the situation. Maybe he means to pick with the finger that you are going to tap with as opposed to the pick it self. That is what I do.

Im not sure about pick taping, I have never done it.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
If you want the tapped note to last, dont pull off from it
If you want the tapped note to end quickly (a staccato effect) a pull off is a good way of doing this
Funeral for a friend - roses for the dead, the tapping in this song uses pull offs from the tapped note, but other songs that use tapping either keep the tapped note held, or release the note without pulling off, and play the next note

e.g. (Another funeral for a friend riff, from streetcar)

eb|-t15p5p3p2-t14p5p3p2-t12p5p3p2h5p3p2-|

Here, the best option to use would be to pull off, because the notes following the tapped notes are below it, so you can pull off onto them to save picking the string

As for your second question, not sure what your getting at, but if your using your pick to tap with, use the thin side of the pick perpendicular to the fret wire, but i always just use my fingers, with a pick you can only achieve one fingered tapping, and i think tapping with the fingers sounds better, aslong as you can hit the fret at the right place so you dont create a 'numb' sounding note (hit towards the fret wire, just as you would if you where fretting it with your left hand, but not ontop of the fret wire)
Is it normal for you tapping to be faint? I've turned the volume and treble up but when I tap I just get a quick "beep" sound.
Quote by Iamonfire
Dear sweet zombie Jesus, I just creamed my pants.
Quote by guitar nooblet
Is it normal for you tapping to be faint? I've turned the volume and treble up but when I tap I just get a quick "beep" sound.

should be the same volume as every other time u hit a note

hit harder, use ur finger, not ur pick

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
yeah, as deadening said, hit the notes harder

It may hurt at first, just as it did when you started learning to play with your left hand, but you will soon get used to it and know how hard/soft you have to hit a note to be able to play it correctly. I think the most useful guide ive ever read on UG is the importance of light fingers when playing a fast guitar solo...........i think this applies to tapping too, you need to get the balance right of just hitting a note hard enough to sound it, but not hard enough so you break your finger