I need help in choosing a SS amp that is good for playing blues, rock, and a bit of metal. I have EMG pickups.
SG Commando #8, PM YOUNGBLOOD to join
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Waiting On Vox VT15 or VT30
I'm waiting for "save up for a small tube combo"
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Ok then what abotu non SS and with a price range around 500 - 600
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Quote by Midnight Murk
I think a Peavey Classic 30 would be great for that situation and price range. It can get heavy enough for metal and has great blues and rock distortion too. Amazing cleans.

nah. i find the classic 30 cant do metal quite as well as a VK can or a palomino. you should look into both of those. both of them are very versatile.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Active pickups sound like ass on solid state amps. Get a tube amp or swap out your pickups for some passives and get a Randall RH150 G3 maybe?

I would reccomend the Tube amp option however, but yeah... What's your currency?
Canadian Dollars
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Why do people recommend the Classic 30 for metal :\

And why can't people state clearly at the beginning of the thread everything they want.

There should be a template here:

Country of residence, bands you want to emulate, genre of music, guitar/pickups and pricerange. Simple

Sorry had to get that off my chest.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
The Classic 30 might need a push to get into metal but something like a Randall RG50TC would easily get metal tones. Although the active pickups might push the C30 into metal on it's own.
Quote by Midnight Murk
I've never tried a ValveKing or a Palomino but I can definitely say that this amp can do metal if you want it to. I usually have the gain at 5 (out of 12) and I'm playing harder rock.

Yeah and if you throw an OD in front of it it really tightens up the tone.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
So pretty much the Peavy Classic 30 is what you guys recommend.
I'm also buying an overdrive pedal this week
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
I go with the classic 30, and if you are getting a palomino (which I think is going to be replaced by BlackHeart amps) make sure it's the USA made one
Quote by Chex

And why can't people state clearly at the beginning of the thread everything they want.

There should be a template here:

Country of residence, bands you want to emulate, genre of music, guitar/pickups and pricerange. Simple

Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Agree entirely.
Quote by Chex

Because it is a really good sounding amp for a low price, and with a distortion pedal you'll get a lot better metal tones out of it than the blues tones you'll get out of most metal amps.
Quote by Chex

That bugs me too! It looks like a tweed Fender for Christ's sake!
Quote by thellamaking
^ You'll find the look doesn't affect the sound.

I know but aesthetic is a big part of some peoples choice, especially with Metal players.

You'll rarely see a Rockabilly or Country player using one of these....

...with one of these

Despite the BC Rich having having the required features and the Bogner having amazing cleans.
a randall rh150 g3 would be good for the metal part i own one and i like the overdrive on it and the cleans are good but you may want to look into a B-52 At-112 my friend has one and he gets good rock and blues tones and you can get pretty good metal tones out of it and its right in your price range
this is true. The cleans are nice but this amp really shines with its overdrive. The gain knob really controls what kind of sound you are getting here. It will do your blues and rock no problem and if you crank the gain knob you will have no problem getting a nice heavy chug out of it.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
^ You'll find the look doesn't affect the sound.

+1000000 Just because an amp looks like a fender doesn't mean it sounds like a fender.
TS I recomend the C30 if you are more into the blues and rock as your Orignal post indicated, the C30 can pull off metal with humbuckers and an OD, but for any thing less than metal that amp is just awesome. And you can always add a nice distortion pedal if you want more gain than amp has to offer.