Would I be able to put a 1/8" piece of Curly of Birdseye maple on top of this guitar? I am using it (possibly) as a project guitar?

Hello
Oh yeah, i forgot to ask if I would need a binding? I was thinking of just glueing it right to the top, flush routing it, give it some character by sanding some bevels, then putting a burst finish on it
Hello
Last edited by MXBoy11 at Mar 10, 2008,
im guessing with that guitar it has a contoured body where the picking hand elbow sits on the guitar when sitting down. If so im not sure it will easily be possible even for a pro but even if is a flattop the neck would be too low ans alot other other **** would come in the way.

as JS said build a new one.
The Merchant Of the Resident Evil Club
]

Quote by hminh87
What is that big hole at the neck joint for?

Quote by Hoodoo Child
the neck?
Seems like adding the veneer would make the top sit too high. It could make the guitar uncomfortable to play, even. You might be able to get used to it, though.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
I could be possible, but you'd probably have to plan the body to make it thinner, It can be done, but You rather build a new body
What if i just put a veneer on it? They are very thin, right? How much would that set me back?

EDIT: Oh yeah, do i need to purchase the wood from a place that sells guitar wodd, or could i just go to a local dealer and get some normal curly maple?
Hello
No quality curly maple is not something available at hardware stores. You need to shop at a place that kind of specializes in it. And the body would need to be planed down 1/8 to be able to glue 1/8 veneer on to it. And you would still need to use a pickguard. Routing for binding and putting it in requires some special tools. Also the bevel will cause real problems. Its possible to steam wood to get it to bend but dont know how well it will work. As for a thinner veneer it will be really hard to find curly maple less than 1/8 thick. Your much better off keeping the guitar as is and building a new one the way you want.
From the picture it looks like the whole top is flat (I dont have the guitar yet). I dont see why i cant just plane it 1/8'', forming a right edge, then put on the top and flush it with the body. It would be the same thickness, but with a nice looking top. This is my first project and I may be wrong about what I said.

Is it even worth doing, or should i just put a cool paint job on it. I am doing this guitar so i can get some practice before i make an entire guitar.
Hello
Quote by Tackleberry
No quality curly maple is not something available at hardware stores. You need to shop at a place that kind of specializes in it.

I wouldnt be getting it at a hardware store, i would be getting it at a rare woods place. They have it on their website. ?
Hello
Well I talked to Mr. Ormsby and he said it should work, so heres what i'm thinking
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11
From the picture it looks like the whole top is flat (I dont have the guitar yet). I dont see why i cant just plane it 1/8'', forming a right edge, then put on the top and flush it with the body. It would be the same thickness, but with a nice looking top. This is my first project and I may be wrong about what I said.

Is it even worth doing, or should i just put a cool paint job on it. I am doing this guitar so i can get some practice before i make an entire guitar.

Couple things:
1. It does have an arm contour and planning it 1/8" won't get rid of it.
2. If its your first time working on guitars it will be much harder to plane it down 1/8" perfectly even and then glue that top on and re-rout a neck pocket and tremolo rout and pickup routs then it would be to buy a piece of poplar while your getting your maple make a guitar body and bolt the neck of that GRX (if you really want it) onto your body you made.

Well, I have toget the guitar first to see what i am doing with it. I also am going to use my shop teachers surface planer which should do the job. I am undecided as of now, i am just throwing ideas out there.
Hello