Hey everybody,

I'm thinking of getting a new guitar...

My current setup is Squier Strat -> Boss Me-20 -> Washburn South Side Jr. 35W amp

I was looking at the Epi LP Standard, but I've also seen some Fender MIM Standard Strats with good prices.

The Washburn tone is really warm, has a great bass and middle, but the treble is just... not as good. As a result, I've been using a Squier SP-10 amp (CRAP!), in stereo with the washburn (the Me-20 has stereo output config for 2 amps). Ok so I have the Washburn doing the bass and middle and the squier doing the treble. It's actually better than you might think!

My birthday was just the other day and I asked for a 'special guitar fund' (which means I'll only pay half of the guitar) . I'm buying online because it's waaaaaaaay cheaper... (Epi Standard online -> 340€, here -> around 450&euro.

What should I get, the Fender, the Epi or just a new amp?

I play mainly Pink Floyd, Guns n Roses and average classic rock... I really like to play clean (I've heard humbuckers are not as good playing clean as the strat single-coils)...

So, what would you do?

Thanks in advance for answering
Quote by Xeus
hmmm you might want to consider putting a humbucker in the strat, you'd be able to get alot of different tones

Well I've tried some Strats in HSS config, but I didn't like them much.

And I also get a lot of different tones from the ME-20...

Anyone else?
If your guitar plays good and feels good I would get a good amp first. The MiMs aren't really a big jump up in quality anyway.
I'm inclined to say a new amp first. It might even be worth saving a bit more and getting a Japanese Strat or used Gibson Standard instead, or just something different entirely. I don't see the point in going from a low-priced guitar to a slightly higher-priced, lower-priced guitar...if you get my drift.
Quote by Silky Smooth
If your guitar plays good and feels good I would get a good amp first. The MiMs aren't really a big jump up in quality anyway.

That's just the thing... My Squier is a SE100, which I believe is the cheapest... if it was an Affinity or custom or whatever, I would consider just a PU change. The sustain in my guitar is close to zero, the pickups are really weak and it doesn't feel THAT good. But I could live with it for a few more time...

Also, I never read any reviews about my amp, Washburn South Side Jr... I looked on harmony-central and didn't find it. It sounds like a blues amp, and definetly looks retro... Anyone knows something about it?

EDIT: I don't know much about my amp because I didn't buy it, my brother gave it to me because he bought a Valvestate and didn't use that one anymore... (he also doesn't know much about it, I believe it was his first amp)
Last edited by JRC7391 at Mar 10, 2008,
Could anyone help me out on this one?

BTW, does the AD Valvetronix series qualify as a good amp? From what I've read, it seems so...
Quote by Silky Smooth

I beg to differ, I own both and the MIM is a huge step up from the Squier.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by JRC7391
Could anyone help me out on this one?

BTW, does the AD Valvetronix series qualify as a good amp? From what I've read, it seems so...

Vox AD series are very good for the money.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
what kind of budget do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, my Washburn's distortion is dead (one day I just turned it on... and... nothing...) so I only use my Me-20 distortion which sounds really good...
I also have a bunch of digital effects (rotary, flanger, phaser, chourus) and delays with that thing... That Boss ME-20 was a great buy.

My budget is limited to +/- 400€, could go to 450€ with some effort...
if you'd like a strat, i really like the levinson blades for the price.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/blade_te_3mc_3ts_texas.htm

(you can definitely get those cheaper in the UK, though- I think list is around £379 or something like that here, with street price a bit lower again, with any luck they might sneak under budget- problem is finding one for cheap enough where you are . There's a blade tele too, just not on thomann.)

They are quite a modern take on the strat/tele though- more modern radius, bridges, and that preamp in them.

EDIT: http://www.scvlondon.co.uk/acatalog/Texas_Series.html (the one without the preamp is £350 list, street should be around what an MIM fender is, here at least)

http://www.scvlondon.co.uk/acatalog/Delta_Series.html (the blade tele)

it's up to you of course, and you might not be able to find those where you are.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Andy Jarvis

You must have got a good one then!

Out of all the ones iIve tried the fretwork has been sloppy as well as the neck joints. Nothing about the guitar felt like it was in the 400 dollar price range thats for sure.
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you'd like a strat, i really like the levinson blades for the price.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/blade_te_3mc_3ts_texas.htm

(you can definitely get those cheaper in the UK, though- I think list is around £379 or something like that here, with street price a bit lower again, with any luck they might sneak under budget- problem is finding one for cheap enough where you are . There's a blade tele too, just not on thomann.)

They are quite a modern take on the strat/tele though- more modern radius, bridges, and that preamp in them.

EDIT: http://www.scvlondon.co.uk/acatalog/Texas_Series.html (the one without the preamp is £350 list, street should be around what an MIM fender is, here at least)

http://www.scvlondon.co.uk/acatalog/Delta_Series.html (the blade tele)

it's up to you of course, and you might not be able to find those where you are.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion and the research you did... The guitars seem really nice (great looks), but I searched them over here and, guess what, I didn't find them.
It's hard to find good guitars and amps over here (and I live in Lisbon, not some small town...) at a nice price. Buying online is so much cheaper! I e-mailed guitar.co.uk asking about their Std. Strats (around 380&euro and I got this

Hi

Thanks for your enquiry. Unfortunately at the moment we only ship inside the UK.
We should be doing international shipping soon, possibly later in the year.

If you need further information, please do not hesitate to call or email me.

Regards

Ben Fletcher

Sales

Anyway, I guess a MIM Strat is better than an Epi LP Standard?
http://www.bladeguitars.com/distributors.html

according to that, there's a portuguese distributor. The prices may still be insanely high... however, you might, with any luck, be able to try them, which'd at least let you see if you like them or not.

And thomann (although a little dearer than you'd probably like to pay) do ship to portugal. as far as I know, anyway.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
http://www.bladeguitars.com/distributors.html

according to that, there's a portuguese distributor. The prices may still be insanely high... however, you might, with any luck, be able to try them, which'd at least let you see if you like them or not.

And thomann (although a little dearer than you'd probably like to pay) do ship to portugal. as far as I know, anyway.

I checked it out, and that distributor is like 250km away from Lisbon... Not the kind of place I can go everyday. And I agree with you, the prices of those 'rare' imports are usually very high!

About Thomann, I find the portuguese version of the website a bit confusing, since it is written in well... I imagine that the PT website was built by someone who knows very little portuguese. Apart from that, they don't mention anything about shipping...
The best online stores I've found so far are MusicStore.de (they have almost anything you can imagine), Woodbrass and Guitare Playback (these last two offer free shipping).

Well, I also found a store not very far from where I live which sells Fender MIM's at 470€. That's a nice price, just about the average I find in the internet... but still a bit above my price range. I prefer to get a Epi at a better price (340€ on woodbrass) and save for a better amp (really looking at that VOX AD50VT... I've only read good things about it) in a not-far future.

Regardless of what guitar I end up choosing, I'll only get it/order it two weeks from now, cause I'm not home next week (Easter Holidays! Yey!) so I'll have some time to make my decision.

Thanks again for your help
Quote by Silky Smooth

In comparison to the higher end Squiers, no. Though I did just buy a MIM because they're making them with jumbo frets now and the shop I bought it from set it up so it plays real smooth. Just gigged with it too. Solid guitar, great feel.

The issue of quality though depends on what model of squier strat he has. The basic ones aren't bad but they're not great either. The MIM fenders do have a more solid feel to me. IMHO
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs
^^ no problem.

Just to point out- that blade distributor i linked you to is just the distributor- i.e. it supplies blade guitars to all the blade dealers in your country. It might be worth contacting them to see if there's a dealer closer to you.

Might be over budget anyway, but it's bound to be worth a try.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JRC7391
I checked it out, and that distributor is like 250km away from Lisbon... Not the kind of place I can go everyday. And I agree with you, the prices of those 'rare' imports are usually very high!

About Thomann, I find the portuguese version of the website a bit confusing, since it is written in well... I imagine that the PT website was built by someone who knows very little portuguese. Apart from that, they don't mention anything about shipping...
The best online stores I've found so far are MusicStore.de (they have almost anything you can imagine), Woodbrass and Guitare Playback (these last two offer free shipping).

Well, I also found a store not very far from where I live which sells Fender MIM's at 470€. That's a nice price, just about the average I find in the internet... but still a bit above my price range. I prefer to get a Epi at a better price (340€ on woodbrass) and save for a better amp (really looking at that VOX AD50VT... I've only read good things about it) in a not-far future.

Regardless of what guitar I end up choosing, I'll only get it/order it two weeks from now, cause I'm not home next week (Easter Holidays! Yey!) so I'll have some time to make my decision.

Thanks again for your help

thomann has free shippiong on orders over 199 euro
Damien Rice === Legend
Quote by Andy Jarvis

^^^
yup

The older MIMs weren't all that great but the ones they make now are freakin' killer!!
The frets are perfect right out of the factory. I played almost every one they had in the store and they all had nice frets. The only decision that had to be made was the color.

The pickups have that nice stratty tone, though I may change out the neck and mid with Vintage Noiseless as I would prefer a little more glassiness out of them. The bridge pickup is the fattest sounding single coil I've ever heard on a strat. I can get awesome metal grind out of it and it doesn't sound "thin" at all.
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs
Quote by axe_2_grind
In comparison to the higher end Squiers, no. Though I did just buy a MIM because they're making them with jumbo frets now and the shop I bought it from set it up so it plays real smooth. Just gigged with it too. Solid guitar, great feel.

The issue of quality though depends on what model of squier strat he has. The basic ones aren't bad but they're not great either. The MIM fenders do have a more solid feel to me. IMHO

I have, like, the lowest end Strat Squier makes.

Dave -> I did some quick internet research on Blade Guitars on portuguese websites, and it was worthless. My guess is that most music stores here just stick with the classic brands...
^ i'd still say it's worth an email, it couldn't hurt... i mean, i've thought stuff like "ah, no-one here would stock them", and then found shops maybe 15 miles away did! obviously northern ireland's not portugal, but northern ireland isn't exactly guitar mecca either...

lol, i sound like i'm twisting your arm to get a blade. i'm really not, i just think that if the option's there, you might as well try them. don't really have anything to lose.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I just e-mailed them. Should have my answer by tomorrow...

Oh, and don't worry about that, I was the one who asked for suggestions in the first place
Quote by JRC7391
Well, I just e-mailed them. Should have my answer by tomorrow...

Oh, and don't worry about that, I was the one who asked for suggestions in the first place

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?